Add water tank gauge?

ABBB

I've been looking into the Mopeka Pro wireless units. Has anyone tried them? They have both water and propane gauges using sonar but must be mounted on the bottom of your tank. They are also compatible with Victron Connect app.

Just this evening my FIL showed me that he’d hooked up a pair of these to the propane tanks on his RV. Had good things to say about readings, though he hasn’t used them long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAW3

Adventurer
I guess I'm the odd man out. I'd forgo the gauge. My experience is that they typically only give a rough estimate and are prone to problems.

What is the real issue...perhaps the root issue is you need more water.

My preference is to:

1: Carry a spare water container completely independent of the built in water system. Pumps & switches fail, gravity never does. Ideally an easily stored/carried water jug with a spout. Capacity of 3-7 gallons. It serves as your reserve. It can be carried and used outside. You can refill your primary tank with it. A reserve can will never let you down...unless you forget to fill it.

2: Any reasonable opportunity to refill/top off your primary tank should be taken when overlanding.

Last edited:

highwest

I use the mechanical-only version of these in the water tank and diesel heater tank of our truck. They are great for approximating what’s left in the tank and don’t seem to mind sloshing at all, since they’re intended for boats. If you install a gauge into the tank, I would be concerned about debris in the tank and clogging the prefilter for the pump. Could you vacuum that out somehow? Are you sure your tank gets pressurized? Or just the water line that’s downstream of the tank?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
My Mission Overland trailer has a 37 gallon water tank.

I gauge my water use through monitoring my grey water which is collected in a two gallon bucket. I figure five gallon per shower ,but I'm sure it really less.

Although the trailer water is potable I carry a 2.5 water can so I don't have to open the trailer to get water.

I always top off whenever I can and now I have a water meter to attach to my fill hose to see how much I fill up with.

Alloy

No, they have one for plastic water/holding tanks. They have an adhesive and are designed to stick to the bottom. No firsthand experience, but I’ve heard good things about them.

-Mike
Thanks, good to know.

Before buying I'd ask if there's a maxiinum wall thickness. I've had through the wall senders that work on 1/8"-1/4" then stop working on 3/8"

burleyman

Is the water tank the white object above the wheel in the picture? A cork with a stiff piece of wire through a hole in the cap works, just as it did for early airplanes for fuel level.

J!m

That green garden hose meter is one I use for filling (and other uses) that I thought might work.

It could be placed in-line easily enough, and inexpensive (and small) enough to carry a spare.

But I like the KUS America option, and that works well in my particular tank, with a top fill opening in the truck.

ABBB

I learned from the guys at MOAB Trailers that the water tank in my Fort XL is not pressurized, only the lines are (thanks to whomever above raised this question!). This tilted me in the direction of experimenting first with the $35 option, the mechanical gauge with float. I don’t know how well it will perform in a tank that is only 18” tall, but it’s worth a shot before I have to take out the galley to access water lines and run wiring from the front to the back to power an inline use reader. That is probably my best option since the tank is very well sealed up within the body of the trailer and there’s no room underneath to mount a magnetic sonar option. I’ll report back with results.

FYI, went with this:

6cb5b5edc8fe1617e6a5b76c6b56bc75.jpg

ReluctantTraveler

I am fitting this style to our new build. Lots of depths and variations available.
Cheers.
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
This looks like it would be infinitely more accurate than those horrible randomly placed electric nodes attached to most cheap RV tanks. Nice find!

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Problem with water meters is that they don't tell you if you busted a pipe between the tank and the meter and all the water ran out until you come to use it and there is none.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

ABBB

UPDATE:

Went with a Topargee in-line unit. Their most basic. Spliced a section of PEX and installed the flow gauge. Monitor is wired and runs off AA batteries. Did several rounds of testing and it works as advertised.

Also found a small leak that had been rusting away the 1/4” steel base of my trailer and ended up doing about 12 hours of additional plumbing renovation the last two days. Earned my cookies tonight.

Topargee Surface Mount Water Tank Gauge H2F-SM - Know Your Water Usage & How Much Water is Left in Your Tank in Litre/GALLONS in Your Carvan, Motorhome and RV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12