Added Jerry Can holder to the back of FWC

davidshourd

Adventurer
I added a 5gal metal jerry can holder on the back of my FWC Eagle today. i have been trying to figure out the best way to attach this thing for sometime. and after finally giveing up that exactly what I wanted is not made, I started fab'n up exactly what I wanted.

I ended up using one of the steps on the back of the campe for one of the three attachments and welded in a plate, then threaded a hole in it. used one of the bolts that holds one of the jacks on and then punched another hole for a third point ofattachment. the thing is very stout. I have no concern of it going anywhere. anyway, here are couple pictures. I should have taken few more during the mock up phase when I had things tacked but I think you can imagine how it was all welded together. then a nice coat of bondo to round some "inperfections" and a couple layers of flat black.

in case you are wondering, the door clears by about an inch when fully open, stratigicly placed!

an extra 5 gallons sometimes makes the difference of going on or turning back the way you came, "just in case" we run out of gas.

Attachments

• P8210122.JPG
    P8210122.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 314
  • P8210124.JPG
    P8210124.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 367
  • P8210126.JPG
    P8210126.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 338
  • P8210127.JPG
    P8210127.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 372

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nice work. I have been thinking of something along those lines.

Would like some more info on the through camper bolt at the top.

davidshourd

Adventurer
thanks guys.
the bolt at the top that goes through the camper wall is just a 1/4" stainless bolt with about an 1.5" washer on the interior side. the bolt just barely missed a interior framing piece so the washer spreads some of the forces over to it. with tons of sikaflex in and around the hole on the outside. the bottom two bolts were nearly stout enough for the whole thing on its own, so the top bolt was just to keep it from rattleing around more then really hold it there.

Deltarat

Observer
Here's another version, a Scepter can mounted on my Grandby. It didn't require any special mounts or fabrication. I removed the ice box and used
a stud finder to locate the aluminum frame. Then drilled the can mount to match the frame. I used 5/16 bolts through the frame and backed with a 19X14" sheet of 3/16 aluminum on the inside. Replaced the ice box. Been on over two years with no problems.

Attachments

• scepter-1.jpg
    scepter-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 253

davidshourd

Adventurer
Here's another version, a Scepter can mounted on my Grandby. It didn't require any special mounts or fabrication. I removed the ice box and used
a stud finder to locate the aluminum frame. Then drilled the can mount to match the frame. I used 5/16 bolts through the frame and backed with a 19X14" sheet of 3/16 aluminum on the inside. Replaced the ice box. Been on over two years with no problems.

thats a really clean set up, nice work. where did you get the scepter can holder? looks like Adventure Trailer? I looked at putting it on that side as well, but I am trying to keep any added weight to the camper to the passenger side. the fuel tank on my truck is on the drivers side. so 21gallons full sitting on the drivers side can give a little bit of an uneven keel. probably not much of a difference, but everything in the FWC Eagle is already on the drivers side as it is, except the battery. I want to try and add a highlift jack mount between the can and the door opening as well, any thoughts on that?
I think I saw a post of a guy a while back who had a jerry can and a highlift mount added to the back of his camper. I want to say he had either FWC or ATC add it as an aftermarket mod?

Deltarat

Observer
Yes the can holder is from Adventure Trailers. I don't think they make a Scepter can holder any longer, just holders for the UN type cans. I have a Grandby with a "closet" just inside the door on the passenger side and there was no way to access the wall through the closet, nor did I want the door to hit the can when open, so it is where it is.

As for a Hi-Lift mounted back there, contact "marc1" on the forum, he had an ATC with a hi-lift and shovel mounted on the back wall. I don't know how it was done, but I followed him around Death Valley and they didn't move at all back there. My hi-lift and shovel and mounted on the front of the truck on the winch mount.

As far as all the weight on one side, I have Carli long travel airbags on the truck so it's easy to level it out. Good luck and have fun..

tnt

Observer
I also added an AT holder to my FWC. Welded up a simple rectangular steel frame and bolted it to the underside of the camper section that overhangs the bed rail (had to remove the fridge to do that). It sticks out about 7" in back. Screwed the holder to that and used an angle bracket to attach the top of the holder to the steel plate that the legs attach to for stability. Sorry, don't have any photos of my set-up.
I also put mine on the drivers side so that it would not get in the way of the door and so it would not block the window on the passenger side. Not sure it makes that much of a difference. When the camper is empty, most of the weight is on the driver's side. But when on a trip, all of the storage area on the passenger side is loaded with supplies and probably evens things out a bit.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I also added an AT holder to my FWC. Welded up a simple rectangular steel frame and bolted it to the underside of the camper section that overhangs the bed rail (had to remove the fridge to do that). It sticks out about 7" in back. Screwed the holder to that and used an angle bracket to attach the top of the holder to the steel plate that the legs attach to for stability. Sorry, don't have any photos of my set-up.
I also put mine on the drivers side so that it would not get in the way of the door and so it would not block the window on the passenger side. Not sure it makes that much of a difference. When the camper is empty, most of the weight is on the driver's side. But when on a trip, all of the storage area on the passenger side is loaded with supplies and probably evens things out a bit.

If you could get one, a couple photos would be great.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yes the can holder is from Adventure Trailers. I don't think they make a Scepter can holder any longer, just holders for the UN type cans...

AT still makes holders for Scepter style cans.

We make holders for:
CARB Fuel Cans
NATO Cans
Water Cans
Scepter Cans

You can see them all here.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Here are a few more sample pictures of people that have mounted gas cans on the back of their FWC's.

It might give you some ideas to work with.

The last one we installed, we bolted a steel plate under the edge of the camper (the portion of the camper that is out over the bed rails of the truck).

The then bolted the gas can holder to the steel plate we installed, and also bolted the gas can holder to the jack bracket.

It was SO strong, pretty easy to install (couple of hours), and we didn't have to poke any extra holes in the side of the camper.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

Attachments

• gas can on rear rack with extras.jpg
    gas can on rear rack with extras.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 307
  • gas can rack #5.jpg
    gas can rack #5.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 304
  • gas can misc pic.jpg
    gas can misc pic.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 289
  • gas can mounted.jpg
    gas can mounted.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 286

Overland Hadley

on a journey

The last one we installed, we bolted a steel plate under the edge of the camper (the portion of the camper that is out over the bed rails of the truck).

The then bolted the gas can holder to the steel plate we installed, and also bolted the gas can holder to the jack bracket.

It was SO strong, pretty easy to install (couple of hours), and we didn't have to poke any extra holes in the side of the camper.

Stan,

What would the cost be for a factory installed jerry can holder?

Thanks.

DirtyDog

Adventurer
If you could get one, a couple photos would be great.

Ted's system is clever yet simple. More photos: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3657/

gallery_2_113_38123.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears