Adding cruise control?

Village Idiot
I have a 99 E-350 Diesel van. Doesn't have cruise control. Any way to add a stock steering wheel and hook up the buttons for cruise?

Also I tried to get remote keyless entry. No cigar. I am getting a Viper alarm has the keyless entry w/no alarm. Those alarms are too pesky.

Anyways, if anyone knows about it, let me know. Thanks

Jakey

I converted more than one Ford with fully electronic speed control.
You will need at least 4 items.
This is the basic details of what my trucks needed, 96 E250 and 96 Ranger, and should be similar for yours.

Speed Control servo with proper throttle cable and bracket from van equipped with preferrably the same engine and model year so it has the proper programming.
Wrong programming and the cruise will be sluggish or real jerky. You will have a long linear connector that has a shunt for the horn circuit under the hood.

"Clock Spring" that goes behind steering wheel, you may luck out and have one with the extra trace needed for speed control, this isn't likely, but is worth checking into before spending the money. Care during install is necessary to avoid ripping the flexible circuit tape. These usually have an instruction label right on the face detailing proper installation.

SCDS[speed control deactivation switch] this is to be installed on the master cylinder. Preferred method for install is to replace the Master cylinder with the proper 3 port unit. An OEM current production switch is preferred.

Steering Wheel

spurious

I installed cruise on my old 2006 van. I purchased a steering wheel from a pick a part with the cruise controls. You must have a good clock spring that is for the new wheel that has cruise.
It is plug and play... No throttle cables etc. then take it to the ford dealer and have it programmed to recognize it. That's it!

Regardless you will need to take it to the dealer or to someone with dealer level software to activate it.

Last edited:

Jakey

Whoops, disregard my earlier post in regards to the servo motor and cable.
I read right past the part about having a techno-diesel.
I am unsure whether it would work with or without the PCM being reprogrammed.

Village Idiot
The cruise control store no longer sells a kit for a 99 7.3L van. Any ideas where I can find a kit?

Betarocker

Adventurer
single-brick.jpg

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger