Advantages and disadvantages of 4x4 motorhome compared to 4x4 RV + caravan (trailer)

Bandicoot

Adventurer
Having had a myriad of types of transport for bush work over the years, culminating in having a Bushtracker off-road caravan (trailer) for 2 years up till October last year, I have some insights to share on this important question.
For those living outside Oz, Bushtracker caravans are considered to be either the best off-road caravan in Australia, or one of the best. My comments are all based on personal experience.

Advantages of a motorhome over a 4x4 and caravan (trailer). Caravan was off-road, military suspension, tandem axle (4 wheels).
• Easier parking anywhere (going shopping, at tourist facilities, theme parks, car parks near waterfalls, at the beach, in CBD, caravan parks)
• Easier to get fuel at garage (fuelling station), incl length and height
• Easier to get “air” from garage
• Easier to get water (shorter hose and easier to manouvre)
• Easier to raise or lower tyre pressures (4 tyres to inflate/deflate compared to 8, although EC tyres are much larger)
• Much better fuel economy (highway 22 l/100km car plus van versus about 17 l/100 km or saving of about $1100 per year at 15000 km/yr @ $1.50/litre; off-road is similar difference)
• When come to a camping area near a river, where there are many tracks, can go down any track in a motorhome without having to worry about reversing out an articulated caravan
• Same for side tracks to the beach or elsewhere; can go down with confidence (at least as much as a Landcruiser)
• Safer overtaking on roads as EC is:
o Taller-hence see further
o Shorter-so can pull back in earlier
o Narrower-so more room in lane
o Lighter-so faster acceleration (for same engine kW)
• Lower fatigue driving as vehicle is both narrower and shorter, e.g. much less effort staying inside the lane at 2.1 wide compared to 2.4 m wide
• Not buffeted by passing trucks as much or affected by cross winds as much
• Time saved in uncoupling and re-coupling, also frustration if difficult to get hitch into “neutral”
• EC is always with us, even when we go on day trips (toilet, fridge, cooking facility, shade)
• Don’t have to use van as “base camp”; can keep going and therefore avoid “doubling back” on self
• Can go places van just can’t go, esp sand dunes, 4WD tracks, narrow areas. There is no such thing as an “off-road (and track) caravan”
• Don’t have to worry about “Not suitable for caravans” roads or areas where caravans are banned altogether such as the Bungle Bungles
• Safer (vans can get up a sway, etc)
• Not carrying Jerry cans for fuel, hence improved safety, no “mess” filling tank, no smell of fumes in vehicle, easier to refill tank (must take Jerrys out to refill etc)
• “Low tech” makes many things easier, e.g. no airbags hence no worries about airbag compatible bullbar, or installing items onto dash, or overhead consoles. Will also be easier to service in remote areas.
• No stone damage to back of vehicle (from rebound of rocks off van or A-frame) since not towing
• We know exactly how bad corrugations (washboard) are as we’re in the vehicle (but not so with van where the vehicle can be travelling fine and the van is being flogged to death)
• Toilet, kitchen, bed always with us (van probably not with us when going on a “day trip” from a base camp)
• No need for separate UHF, HF, sat phone, sound system for van since it’s all in the one place
• No chance of damaging rear steps on caravan since EC steps are up high
• Wife can (and is willing to) drive the EC
• Much easier to reverse into home driveway (or just drive in forwards)
• Canter much better storage in cabin than the 4WD (e.g. for maps, books, binoculars, other items)
• Canter is proven vehicle for 4WD and lots in Oz (used for rural fire brigades etc)
• No hooking up or unhooking of van
• Easier to get “in and out” of house hence likely to get out for more trips, since much more hassle-free
• Poor security of van when you need to leave it behind, e.g. at a road or track junction
• Accidentally leaving things behind in van when going on day trip (tourist info, parks passes, cooking equipment, tools, inverter to charge gear, KFS and crockery to make lunch, etc). Either need second set of gear in car (e.g. tent, swag, etc) or to be transferring equipment constantly between van and car, which always means some things left behind (e.g. toolbox)
• Similarly, may go off without van for a “day trip” but want to extend it into an overnight trip, or might decide to stay somewhere for dinner and have a few drinks and then not be able to get back to van
• Can fit into small van sites which means more choice of site, better availability and often, better sites with better views
• Bigger wheels than van hence handle corrugations better
• Completely impractical to try to ship a caravan overseas (size of a bushtracker)

Disadvantages of motorhome compared to caravan
• Less room inside which is more important in bad weather (however, the smaller space inside encourages us to be outdoors esp in fine weather)
• Less storage
• Cannot take the kids with us
• Cannot get into underground carparks (compared to normal 4x4), but a 4x4 with roof rack often can’t either
• More difficult to go on day trips from a base (as have to pack up more), whereas the van can be left at the base (but does mean you have the fridge, kitchen, awning etc with you when you go)
• No handbasin in ensuite in EC (use sink)
• No lockers inside ensuite in EC
• No full oven for croissants, roasts, etc
• No griller for toast
• No griller for open-face sandwiches
• For wife to drive EC, needs to get “refresher” on driving manual transmission (no auto trans on EC)
• No air-conditioning in camper (but a/cond on van requires either mains power or generator)
• Many fewer “high tech” comforts such as cruise control, keyless entry, ABS braking, traction control, full-time 4WD, electric mirrors, air bags (but most of these are not really necessary and in some cases, can be a liability)
• To use overseas, will need to get a truck (LR) licence

Final comment: If you're retired and want to live more or less permanently "on the road", want to spend extended periods in areas with poor weather (or bad time of the year), and don't need to do any serious off-road work, or take your rig overseas via ship, then a caravan would be a good option. For ANYONE ELSE, in my opinion, go down the motorhome route if you can afford it, or a camper trailer (or just the well-packed 4x4 with roof rack).

Bandicoot

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing your views. Just for clarification, when you say "4x4 motorhome," you're referring to a vehicle like an All Terrain Warriors truck with cabin, or your EarthCruiser, correct?

In USA, we usually reserve the term "motorhome" for a Winnebago-style RV, built on a van cab and chassis. Some of these are converted to 4x4, but they lack much off-road capability.

Chip Haven

Bandicoot

Adventurer
Yes, Chip.
What do you call our 4x4 "motorhomes" in the US?
While we're at it, on other terminology issues:
Here, "cabin" generally refers to the front of the vehicle in which the driver and passengers sit.
"House" or "Camper" refers to the back portion (i.e. usually the custom build) that has the accomodation etc.
Hence "START" batteries are the vehicle engine batteries and "HOUSE" batteries are the batteries that power up all the equipment in the "house".
Bandicoot

gait

Explorer
Bandicoot - we use a square cast iron frying pan for making toast on the diesel cooktop :) works for scones and quite a few other things an oven would be required for. Basically any flat bit of metal.

Bandicoot

Adventurer
Bandicoot - we use a square cast iron frying pan for making toast on the diesel cooktop :) works for scones and quite a few other things an oven would be required for. Basically any flat bit of metal.

Thanks Gait. We'll give that a go!
Bandicoot

PS: I'm pleased with myself. I finally figured out what "Quote" means on the RHS!!?? And all these other little things on the side... Duh.:victory:

nugget

Observer
I am right with you on the less is more concept. We tour with a single ring butane cooker ($20 at any camping store), a small kettle to boil a bit of water, a fry pan and an aluminium camp oven.

Supplement that with a small tripod and plate for cooking on an open fire and what can not be cooked with that doesn't happen.

The days of cast iron gas rings and more pots and pans than we have in our kitchen at home went west a long time ago.

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
QUOTE=Bandicoot;587454]

Final comment: If you're retired and want to live more or less permanently "on the road", want to spend extended periods in areas with poor weather (or bad time of the year), and don't need to do any serious off-road work, or take your rig overseas via ship, then a caravan would be a good option. For ANYONE ELSE, in my opinion, go down the motor home route if you can afford it, or a camper trailer (or just the well-packed 4x4 with roof rack).

Bandicoot[/QUOTE]

Hi There Bandicoot, There is another Option that you haven't discussed and that is a larger than normal truck camper as per the pic,

IMG_11251.jpg

Myself and my Wife have travelled extensively since 1990 and have used a variety of different Vehicles depending on where we went, the first time we went to Cape York was in 1990 in a Modified Toyota 80 series Turbo Diesel, since then we have tried all sorts of combo’s until I recourse the North American Truck camper and decided that for us and would be the Perfect Scenario.
I could tow my boat if I wanted to or I could just use the Camper/Motor Home to get to where we wanted to go and then unload the Home and go and explore the Area.
So there is another option other than a caravan or your EC.
You can use a 4X4 or 2WD Truck with a Flat Bed and do whatever takes your Fancy

Bandicoot

Adventurer
ozzyfishaman
You're right. I must admit I've never had a slide on (is that what they call your rig?)
How long does it take to put on and off?
What's your assessment of its strengths and shortcomings?
Bandicoot

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Bandicoot, many of the first 10 or so motorhome disadvantages you have listed are negotiable in the vehicle design.

You have negotiated them IN for the caravan but OUT for the motorhome????

Cheers,
Peter

DzlToy

Explorer
three main classes of "motorhomes" or "RVs" in the US:

Class A:
fleetwood-discovery-ext-1.jpg

Class B:
roadtrek-rs-adventurous-class-b-motorhome-exterior.jpg

Class C:
Coachmen-Freelander-Ford.jpg

so I guess you would closest to a C. There are some 4WD Sprinters and things like Earth Roamer here as you know, but not much like what ATW builds. If so, would be completely custom, very small number, etc or a DIY job with custom box or slide in on the back. Something like a Unicat would technically be a Class C, as its truck cab and chassis with the RV box on the back.

Front part is still the cab or cabin and rear part is box, RV, house, etc., depending on where you are from and to whom you are speaking.

We also have toyhaulers (large RV/Motorhome or Trailer) will living quarters in the front and a garage in the back for golf cart, sand buggy, dirt bikes, etc) and a few other options too, but along with diesel landcruisers, Patrols, Hilux and quite a few others, you guys get tons of cool stuff that we never see.

Cheers

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Travel trailers or campers as we call them are grouped into three main categories as well, four if you count slide in truck campers. Toyhaulers are a variation of one of the two larger towables.

http://www.campingearth.com/towable/

A small towable popup type camper would include adventure or off road trailers, A-liners and tear drops, imo.

Bandicoot

Adventurer
Bandicoot, many of the first 10 or so motorhome disadvantages you have listed are negotiable in the vehicle design.

You have negotiated them IN for the caravan but OUT for the motorhome????

Cheers,
Peter

Peter
You're absolutely right. I guess this was not really a "generic" comparison but the specific comparison I did between staying with the Bushtracker and changing to the EC. Hopefully it's a list that others can use to think through the issues for them, but you're right; where these items are placed (and how important they are) will definately change depending on size of MH versus the van, the type of touring you're doing, etc.
Bandicoot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears