Adventure Harley?

iamdanwoody

Observer
So, I purchased a Harley from an estate sale for $1. Doesn't run yet. 1983 Harley sportster (fxr). Does anyone have experience with older Harleys? Do they have any overland potential? Any advice or help would be appreciated.
ypy5anaz.jpg

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There is a thread on advrider where a guy is turning a sportster into an adventure bike

Yeah. Is this the one?...it's an amazing bit of gear. The guy sells kits I believe.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

oldnslow

Observer
That picture shows an FXR, not a Sportster. Different animals.

I had a 1982 FXR for a couple years in the late 1980s. Very heavy to push, and I had to push it a lot. Harley-Davidson was just emerging from their dark years then.

That is not something I would want to take very far from home, unless you have the skills to go through it thoroughly and make things right. Mechanically and electrically.

CCH

Adventurer
Awesome deal! Sportsters are a fairly top heavy bike, something to keep in mind off pavement. They are also pretty simple. Sounds like a fun project, but I agree you should know how to fix it. Think old Land Rover more than new Toyota.

iamdanwoody

Observer
I appreciate the insight. I also though of trading it in as it sits to get something a little more manageable for a new rider. See what someone will offer me or see what I can get in trade.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Buell has done alot to build a dual-sport harley. Still a heavy machine with the weight not necessarily in the right places. But for a buck!!!! One can afford some suspension work! But as oldnslow stated. Your about to step in it really deep!!! Harley's are great street bikes and even can do some gravel and fire road stuff but they are way low and have short suspension travel for anything single track. Believe us! I know I tried!! That's why Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM and BMW all possess long legs and tall seating positions in their respective Dual-Sport versions. $$$$$$....be careful. Still waters run deep! But OH the temptation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior