Advice for 2006 Tacoma mods needed for a journey to tierrra del fuego

I am in the process of acquiring a vehicle to take an extended trip to South America. I do not plan on returning anytime soon and I have a job in Italy.

My original plan was an older 1st gen Toyota but my girlfriend is in a lease with her corolla so in order to get out of it. It will be very pricy or the dealership has a 2006 Tacoma 4wd manual 4.0 engine on the lot that we can trade the corolla in for.

So what modifications would it take for a 2006 Tacoma to make to Argentina?

Thank you

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Will you be camping in it ? Going offroad to isolated places? If so that would change things.

I would add a dual batteries, rear spare carrier so you can carry two spare tires. Maybe some front end protection. You really need to give more details of your planned trip.

robert

Expedition Leader
Need more details but firstly make sure it is mechanically sound (and the frame isn't rusted out) then suspension since the factory suspension sucks, especially if carrying weight.

zolo

Explorer
In reality, better suspension and a tire size that can be found through out Latin America. Other than those two things you don't "HAVE" to do much else to those trucks as far as upgrades.

A solid preventative maintenance service and those trucks are solid.

The 4.0 V6 1GR-FE engine is common down here in Chile. The Prado and FJC both use that engine. Parts are easy to find. Its a really good choice for the Americas.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Put in some security measures like a kill switch ,simple alarm , wheel locks and tint the windows. Have a tire plug kit, good air compressor.

Ok guys I'm very excited with all the responses.

Here's the specs.
I will be sleeping in it with my gf. We have met a man who is building a topper shell like this-

https://twstatic.net/threads/iggys-1-taco.368214/

He actually lives next to me.

As far as travel this is ultimately going to be around the world expedition. We will work and travel along the way.

We don't plan on off-roading or rock crawling. I know in parts of Africa can be a little rough.

So are budget is tight but we want to make this happen. We want to do it right and will appreciate all advice.

Thank you

zolo

Explorer
I will say this, just because you are not seeking 4x4 or "offroad" routes does not mean that a 4x4 truck should not be used.
Down here in South America the roads are ****. The dirt roads are bad and the paved roads are not much better. Unless you are traveling on main HWY system the roads put a major beating on the suspension and tires along with steering parts. So starting with a 4wd truck that already has heavier duty parts over a 2wd or a car is the best idea.

Long distance over even a dirt road or gravel road here will take its toll. Suspension and tires will be your number one investment and should be number one priority. That is my opinion anyhow. I drive the roads of southern Chile on a daily basis and it beats the hell out of my Hilux. And my Hilux makes my old Tacoma look like a play toy. So beef up those parts and the rest is just for fun and comfort.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Well a suspension upgrade will be in order with the extra weight. A Tuffy console would be prudent inside the cab as well as other secure storage.

Get loud horns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12