Advice for 4x4 van in Africa/Asia

msyea

TL;DR, best 10 year old LHD 4x4 Japanese combi van MPV.

I'm looking to invest in my first overland vehicle. I'm looking to explore mainland Europe this year (I'm based in London) and then venture to Africa and Asia next year (I'm planning on taking at least 6 months off).

I'm torn on what vehicle to buy. I'm sure I need a basic enclosed camper van. Either a combi van (double cab) or MPV base. I suppose if I'm planning on leaving Western Europe a Japanese one will have the most support. I would also like a proper ladder chassis and 4x4 capabilities.

I'm thinking a LHD Toyota TownAce or Mitsubishi Delica. My budget is approx. £10k. I think I'm looking for vehicles aged between 10-15 years old.

I want to keep the outfitting fairly basic too. Just a fridge, rock and roll bed, leisure battery and reversible front seats. No need for integrated cabinetry/cooking/plumbing.

Please suggest other suitable vehicles and considerations to be made.

I have also considered SUV style vehicles but want to live inside the vehicle, not around it - especially in wet Europe.

Thanks,
Si

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
have you looked at all the build threads on here?
So many platforms to choose from... it can make your head spin like the front seats you want!

Since you're in the UK, you'll have to pick something that can pass the Vehicle Inspection in your home country first.
Without knowing what options you have there... it's hard for any of us Yanks on this side of the pond to pick something for you.
But we can surely suggest a million ideas on how to modify it! LOL

msyea

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've had a look and indeed my head is spinning. I want something (relatively) simple and stock without too much converting. Someone told me Japanese vehicles were the way to go if I was venturing out of Western Europe.

I was originally set on getting at Land Cruiser but decided that I want to live in the vehicle rather than around it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I think you are definitely on the right track. The Japanese compact vans have a good reputation, and parts availability will likely be better than other less widely sold brands. Ideally you would do your PM before going on the trip. Worst case scenario, you have someone DHL you the parts you need.

Just remember, that even if the same vehicle is available in the country your in, doesn't mean the parts for yours will be. Differences in engines, configurations (LHD/RHD) etc.

As far as living in the vehicle goes, if you can get a van you can stand in (even if you have to crouch a little) it will be worth it. A pop up top, high top, etc makes life astonishingly better. Being able to stand to put your pants on? Priceless.

Even if you don't do a full buildout, some rough made storage aids/cabinets that just strap/clip in make a lot of difference. Especially when the crap roads mix everything inside around.

You do need to consider your personal comfort when driving (which you will be doing a lot of). So you really need a good long test drive for whatever your are looking at. Seating position, armrests, steering wheel location etc.

There are a ton of simple/cheap/easy things you can do to a compact van to make it really livable. Compared to trying to a land cruiser, vans open up a plethora of opportunities.

A lot of 4x4 oriented overlanders put off-road capability at the top of their list, when really it needs to be somewhere near the middle. If you are frustrated, and suffering every day because of vehicle usability, no amount of gnarly trails is going to fix it.

I also suggest picking a vehicle with a drivetrain and level of complexity you can deal with. If you know diesels, stick with that, if you can handle the simpler fuel injector system on a gas/petrol engine go that way. Hell, even an automatic trans is okay if that's what you are comfortable with! Stick with what you know, or at least what you can educate yourself about in the time you have. Even the newest vehicle can have issues.

Picking a vehicle with a good knowledge base where you live now is also good, as you will be relying on others for PM and servicing details, and you will likely be calling someone back "home" if you need mechanical advice on the road. Having a friend be able to get the parts you need down the street, and mail them to you same day has some value.

Vehicle condition is just as important as manufacturer. Vehicles that are regularly driven are also a better bet than ones that have been sitting.

Good Hunting!

Last edited:

lightstrum

The early Delica vans are all over the world, solid, economical,diesel, high/low transfer case, the best use of space in any vehicle made, can take 33 tires without a lift, look for one with the large center sunroof, or better, the 3" higher ceiling one without a sunroof, for this, get a fabric sliding sunroof that is size appropriate to your inside lay out, put it where when open it will give you room to stand up, get these two tents- Marmot Colfax 2p, and Marmot Colfax 4P. These tents set up in 5 minutes, are relatively light and strong and can be used as a sunshade or a tent. With your sunroof open and an entrance port sewn into the floor of the 2p you will be able to mount it from inside, on top of your Delica giving you incredible volume of open space, in 5 minutes you have the equivalent of a pop top roof without the weight, mpg penalty or expense, and it is much bigger and can be used as a backpacking tent for side excursions. Take the 4p, get the porch add on, set it up adjacent to your sliding door, or tailgate for quick access, you will be able to rig it to attach to the side of the van with a little reworking of the vestibule, giving you immense usable space in a small package. Make sure on your inside build that you have a comfortable bed and your kitchen etc in a usable way. With this rig you will be able to live inside/self contained, or quickly more than double your space with the tents, for not a lot of money, not a lot of weight, fairly quick set up, and not have a lot of garbage hang off your Overlander.

FYI. I rigged this on to a Delica that I was going to buy. The place I was buying it from had a LWB diesel Pajero (Montero) with the large center sunroof. After a lot of consideration, I went with the Pajero and the same tent set up. For me the Pajero is a better daily driver, I don"t like to cook inside a small vehicle, so didn't need kitchen space, Pajero has a much better 4wd system. I can still sleep inside of it, and a Pajero without a lot of gear hanging off it is much more discreet than even a Delica without a lot of outboard gear- sleep on a side street anywhere without suspicion. The stand up space is much less than the Delica but as I am not using it for a 6 month journey, it is adequate, if I was, I would get a non sunroof one, put the largest fabric sliding sunroof available in it, or if my 4wd needs were within its capacity, get the Delica.

http://www.slidingragtops.com/m7/3--big-sliding-ragtop-in-a-jeep-cherokee.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCv2p4714Tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AcTt8CF6NA

https://marmot.com/equipment-tents-2-person-tents/colfax-2p/27840.html?

msyea

Thanks both. Great advice!

I'll keep looking into those Toyota and Mitsubishi vans then. Full on 4x4 isn't absolutely critical as I won't deliberately be seeking out technical trails but I want the confidence that I can go almost anywhere solo. I'm not wedded to any platform as my knowledge of specific brands/models is limited, so I have an open mind.

I like the idea of a retractable roof... I was stumbled across it the other day. Seems like an excellent half-way-house to poptop and more discreet. Could always add a poptop later if necessary.

.lightstrum How's the Pajero with the retractable roof? Do you often stand up through it? How have you configured the rest of it?

lightstrum

I am on a shoot in South America. When I get back I will put up some pics. I have it configured as a cinematography vehicle, I love the big center sunroof on the Pajero. Adding the Colfax p2 with just the rainfly as a sunshade is really a wonderful thing when shooting out of the vehicle. I can even drive along once it is securely tied down. I keep everything flexible, remove the back seat for easy stand up shooting, and have plenty of room for my gear and sleeping accommodation. I set up the Colfax 4p as a base camp with stuff I don't need for shooting and then range around in the Pajero. I take a lightweight table and chair that I edit on in the P4 after a shooting day. I really am through with humping a lot of heavy add on gear that most of the time does nothing. I am also a believer that after a few days in the sticks hit a hotel for a night to take a real shower and do the wash.

There are a lot of Pajero/Montero/Showguns and various Delicas available in the U.K at very good prices. For diesels we are limited to 25 or more years old JDM vehicles in the U.S. You are not in the U.K and there is a lot of choice available. Though the Toyota vans are really nice, the Delica is a much more adaptable vehicle. But for long distance riding comfort the Pajero is way superior.

A few more things, if you don't get 4WD and a vehicle with decent ground clearance you will eventually wish you did. The great thing about the Misubishis is that you can fit 33" tires without a lift, not possible on Toyota vans. Add a set of Bilstein shocks and you can go over 90% of any place in the world you can put a vehicle. A Pajero 2.5 Diesel, full loaded will give you 24-25 (U.S.) mpg, run on most crap diesel fuel you come across and be reparable anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

sg1

Adventurer
Since you are based in England why not look at a Ford Transit 4x4? It is fairly reliable and has more living space than the little Japanese vans. I have been travelling with a Transit in Africa and Latin America for 7 years and I had no significant issues.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It really does depend a lot on your needs. But if you are thinking you can swing the extra space and cost, a full sized 4x4 van is a real luxury. Even a short wheelbase one.

I have seen delica vans in most of the countries I have visited, they are a solid platform from what owners have told me.

A_anu

https://www.instagram.com/descubiendourantia/?hl=e
Hi, interesting thread, in my opinion it depends a lot on the user, for you to use it etc. a good overland vehicle should not carry too much electronics, and good technical service worldwide. It also depends a lot on your financial means. A 4x4 ford transit is not very hard, africa is very wild and demanding. Gas oils are grosser, so a Euro6 engine is not a good idea. I like vans with lifting box, give more space and you can upload it to a sea container. In any case, the vehicle is only something material that allows to live emotions and adventures. Eligas the one you choose will be perfect for your job. Greetings from Spain, many good luck in your search. Namaste

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998