Advice for a newbie attempting Resto - Expo

BreckBJ44

Observer
Hey all,

I have been lurking for a bit here (and throwing 2cents here and there too) and have a few questions about building a 1981 BJ44 (rhd - 24v) for expedition. I am planning a frame off to control rust and will be slowly rebuilding the truck from scratch.

I've never really done the official expo thing, just week long camping trips where I use the truck to get into the backcountry to hike or bike, etc. That Said, I could really use some help knwing if I am going to big, small, or i the worng direction with my plans. I'd rather do less and add as I go so let me know any opinions you have on the following!

Here are a few things I have planned:

1) Full strip, repaint and seal of body and frame. Also build weld in storage into wheel wells with cargo area access.
2) Alcan custom springs for 3-4" front and 4-5" rear lift - around 33" to 35" tires.
3) Turbo, intercooler, and possible propane injection system to maximize power and fuel for free on the road.
4) second alternator to charge third, dedicated 12v battery and fuse block for aftermarket accs.

Ideas I need refinement on:
1) Pop the top on the Original hard top vs. Trailer with rooftop tent.
2) Internal cage to hang hammocks? anyone done this?
3) Adding A/C to this beast... it's fine in CO, but will KILL ME in South America.
4) Anything else I'm missing?

ONe thing is that I am willing to build the truck up minimally here as I can add stuff as I make my way down the continent. With the exchange rate, I might just get a deal on work or additions.

Thanks in advance for any advice. As I said, I am new with big dreams of driving around the world if I can.

Thanks!

K

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
What are your goals for the truck? You mentioned South America, are you planning to live out of the truck for an extended period? Sounds like a great project vehicle.

BreckBJ44

Observer
I want to be able to live out of the truck if need be, but if I am in a city where there is a hostel or something, to be able to drive the truck around town without being too huge. I am looking at spending a considerable amount of time between these cities though.

Also, I come from a backpacking background so I am used to packing minimally, and not used to having conveniences. So what conviniences/amenities should I add to get over this? ;-)

Here are a few more ideas I had

1) Heat exchanger and shower
2) Fresh Water Tank
3) Fridge

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Having done it....sleeping in a 40 series is very uncomfortable....easy way to fix that is a RTT....

Keep is simple and reliable...I'd think 33s will be plenty big for travel.

A/C....I can take it or leave it. I never ran A/C through Baja, even in my 80 series....now...just make sure the seats are cloth..not vinyl, and you'll be fine.

A fridge is a must, IMHO...

-H-

BreckBJ44

Observer
Thanks Hilltoper

Thanks. I don't have a ton of cash set aside so I want to do the additions that will be necessary first. By the way, you are going to love your RHD. I love mine. parallel parking is SO easy :wings:

I also may have a connection to Japan and may be able to get a few things for the right hand drive trucks... I am going to make a list so if there is anything you need (Steering boxes, A/C parts, Other RHD specific stuff) let me know as he brings in tons of stuff and the shipping is aorund the same as from CA to CO. Thankfully, our $ is still not too bad against the Yen!

I also just saw a flat roof Pop-Top design that I really liked. Maybe I could make a cab over sleeping platform and do that instead of a RTT?

Last edited:

cruiser guy

Explorer
I would question the wisdom of propane injection on an expedition vehicle. You're adding a lot of complications for not enough benefit.

I have a BJ60 and I've turbo'd it. I would intercool it too if an intercooler fell into my lap but I would not add propane injection. The turbo is already a big boost.

You'll be pleased to know that the "B" series engine is fairly common here in Central America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78