Advice on 3rd gen 4runner shocks

Ryan H

I'm fairly new to the forum and have an '02 4runner that I'm working on building up. I have fj80 coils in the rear that gave me around 3.5 inches of lift and ome front springs. I'm looking for a new shock in the rear to replace my tokicos (They were used and I blew both of them having too much fun) and I'd like advice on what shocks people here think would be best for my use. I use my 4runner mostly for mild wheeling/overland and the occasional more "technical" trail. It's also my daily, so I'd like the ride to be somewhat decent.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Check out Bilstein,Icon or King; there's also Fox but more people run the first three. I'll be switching to Kings front and rear in a couple of months. I also have LC coils in the rear with about 4" lift. They sag terribly under load however so I purchased some OME 861 coils which are just as tall but much stiffer. I have the 5125 Bilstein shocks in the rear and plan to go with the King adjustable shocks and reservoir setup. Check out t4r.org for all 4Runner stuff; plenty of information there. Cheers!image.jpg

Ryan H

Thank you, I'm really considering the bilstein 5125's. Definitely know what you mean about the rear sagging, luckily mine is a bit higher in the rear so it sits level under weight.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
No worries, you can't go wrong with these shocks. I'd like to redo my upper mounts at the same time as my upgrade just to have them in an easier spot for maintenance. Upper mounts are a real PITA

SnoViking

Adventurer
Im running the Bilstein shocks front and rear. I think they were the same # as what was used on the Tundras (but dont quote me there). I had Tokicos before and the Bilsteins were a vast inprovement. Im running the Tundra front springs (not sure which perch) and OME rear springs (maybe the 906s; they're the HD 500Lb extra spring). Ive been running that setup for about 8 years now and its very very nice. Its ride a bit tight when the truck is empty, but rides great when its loaded up with camping gear and kids. Id guess it sits at about 2-3 in lift. Its just enough to look stock, but "tall".

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Bilstein's and OME's seem to be the go-to's for most people. I went with OME on a Tacoma and am pretty pleased.

Ryan H

I just placed my order and went ahead with replacing the front as well. I decided on OME rear with bilsteins in the front. Thanks for all the input!

karlmagnum

Observer
I just placed my order and went ahead with replacing the front as well. I decided on OME rear with bilsteins in the front. Thanks for all the input!

Sounds like a good setup. Keep us posted regarding ride quality. Currently have Bilstein in the front and Rancho shocks RS9000 on the rear. Ride comfort and handling are good though I'm planning to replace the fronts with ranchos. I like the adjustability of my RS9000.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger