Advice on a Used Defender 110

Buzz Lightyear

Hi folks. I'm doing a stint in Germany and have an opportunity to buy a used LR Defender 110 and am looking for some advice. I don't have any real experience with Rovers and normally drive Toyotas (FJ and 100), so use that as a reference.

I've only looked at the exterior of the vehicle once and spoken with the owner via phone to arrange a meeting. Here's what he told me:

2004 LR Defender 110.
5 cylinder turbo diesel.
150,000 km (+/- 90,000 miles).
Mechanically sound with no maintenance issues.

I need it to safely haul a family of 5 plus gear. We'll mostly be touring Europe but I'm hoping to at least make it to Morocco, if not further into Africa.

What do I need to know about this vehicle in particular or these vehicles in general in order to conduct a good evaluation prior to purchase? Thanks in advance.

Red90

Adventurer
I can't think of anything different to look at compared to any easy vehicle.

- Check for rust. The body skins are aluminum, but much of the structure is steel. Look over the frame and the firewall (bulkhead) and footwells.

The engine is called a TD5. 2.5 liter, common rail diesel. Normal modern diesel with a good reliability record. There are lots of options for power increases if you feel the need. Defenders are very simple and straightforward.

rovertech

Observer
Hi folks. I'm doing a stint in Germany and have an opportunity to buy a used LR Defender 110 and am looking for some advice. I don't have any real experience with Rovers and normally drive Toyotas (FJ and 100), so use that as a reference.

I've only looked at the exterior of the vehicle once and spoken with the owner via phone to arrange a meeting. Here's what he told me:

2004 LR Defender 110.
5 cylinder turbo diesel.
150,000 km (+/- 90,000 miles).
Mechanically sound with no maintenance issues.

I need it to safely haul a family of 5 plus gear. We'll mostly be touring Europe but I'm hoping to at least make it to Morocco, if not further into Africa.

What do I need to know about this vehicle in particular or these vehicles in general in order to conduct a good evaluation prior to purchase? Thanks in advance.

It would be worth having a trusted rover shop look it over for you. I would also want to see some service history backing up the "no mechanical/maintenance issues" bit. With Rover products in general, you can spend a little money now on due diligence or a lot later on repair bills. :) Overall you are looking at a solid and simple platform for a vehicle.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I know you are looking for mechanical inspection advice, but...

And I seem to be the only one around here that doesn't like Defenders, but...

Since you are contemplating a lot of miles, with the family, I would highly recommend that you test drive it for as long as you can, with your family inside.

I have significant wheel time in two 110s and a 130, and I think they are the most uncomfortable vehicles I have ever driven, especially for long distances. And I know it would take an emergency of apocalyptic proportions to get my wife in one again.

Also keep in mind that the three that I had experience with were all older models, so maybe they seriously redesigned the seats (and overall ergonomics) on the 2004 you're looking at.

I've always loved looking at Defenders. Especially a well-rigged ones posed in front of a bull elephant... There's simply not another vehicle that screams 'ADVENTURE' like a Defender... But I just can't romanticize how uncomfortable I found them to be, and wouldn't voluntarily take another on a long trip. I've put in full days of driving them, and can't imagine how much I would hate driving one for consecutive days.

A lot of people love 'em, and I hope your experience is different then mine, but it only makes sense to thoroughly test drive any vehicle that you plan on putting that much wheel time into, and, like I said, bring along the fam. Nothing will make a great trip miserable like a worn-out driver and four cranky passengers on a looooooong road trip.

Flame on, but that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it! :coffeedrink:

SCRover

Adventurer
Lynn's absolutely right on all counts, and I say this as a past and present Defender owner and LR enthusiast.

Something else to think about is parts availability and your ability to replace a broken something on the fly.

Good luck with your purchase and, more importantly, enjoy your excursion.

glr

Observer
I have a client who is currently serving in Germany, Would you like me to see if he can give you some advice? is so drop me an email.

Re what Lynn said about comfort....standard seats are awfull go for XS Black Rack seats or the top of the range Exmoor Trim seats these are comfortable.

Buzz Lightyear

Thanks for the info everyone. I should have posted this in the OP, but what is this thing worth? He's asking $15,500. More to follow.

Red90

Adventurer
Really, I find them very comfortable for long trips. Nice soft suspension, high driving position.

WoldD90

Adventurer
Go drive the truck then have it inspected... If you like it, buy it, if not...don't.

The problem with posting a question here, is you are going to get a lot of ridiculous opinions.

glr

Observer
Thanks for the info everyone. I should have posted this in the OP, but what is this thing worth? He's asking $15,500. More to follow.

Dollars or Euro's , if its euro's its ok, but I'd shop arround. There's loads out there don't buy the first you see unless it just feels right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman