advice on a van purchase

BirdMan

Hi, new to this site, I am wanting to ask some advice from those that have been doing this for a bit. Anyway I am a wheelchair user and have found a 2000 E-250 Quigley 4x4 with low mile 7.3, bumper/winch and already has the chair lift. Looks to be in good shape.
Do ya think it's worth 35k?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Tough question!!
I own the same van with out the wheel chair lift and paid 10k with 150k miles. I just passed up a 15 pass 2002 7.3 with 60k for 18K. I do not what it cost to have a wheel chair lift installed but I know it is not cheap. Finding that exact van (if that is the exact van you were looking for) I would say is next to impossible. So being patient and waiting for another one to come along may be a very very long wait. So that has to be worth something too. I would call a wheelchair conversion company and see what they get to do a conversion if that plus about 15 to 20 thousand equals the price of that van I would say it is a pretty good deal. If it comes up short I would look at buying a different van and having the conversion done.
Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
Derek

BirdMan

Tough question!!
I own the same van with out the wheel chair lift and paid 10k with 150k miles. I just passed up a 15 pass 2002 7.3 with 60k for 18K. I do not what it cost to have a wheel chair lift installed but I know it is not cheap. Finding that exact van (if that is the exact van you were looking for) I would say is next to impossible. So being patient and waiting for another one to come along may be a very very long wait. So that has to be worth something too. I would call a wheelchair conversion company and see what they get to do a conversion if that plus about 15 to 20 thousand equals the price of that van I would say it is a pretty good deal. If it comes up short I would look at buying a different van and having the conversion done.
Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
Derek

Thanks Derek, the 15 pass you spoke of, I assume it's 4wd... Any chance it's still avail? Pretty sure I can get the VA to help out with the lift.
Martin

dsw4x4

Adventurer
2002 15 pass 350 7.3 quigly converted with a raised roof I have not seen it in the lot the last few days but he could have it out getting seats put in it. Any way he has a 4wd van there about ever 2 to three months usually fords. Here is the web site
http://www.autointegrity.net/
The owners name is Kieth Knutson tell him Derek Weber from Colorado Camper Van sent you. I only met the guy once but he was really nice and interested in doing some work with me. So I told him I would probably send some people his way.

What is your criteria Ford ,Chevy, gas, diesel, window, panel, dont care? What do you plan on using it for?
I always run across vans for sale if I know what your looking for I will send some your way.
Derek

BirdMan

What is your criteria Ford ,Chevy, gas, diesel, window, panel, dont care? What do you plan on using it for?
I always run across vans for sale if I know what your looking for I will send some your way.
Derek

Really looking for Ford, 250/350 prefer 350, diesel & 4x4. Not really to keen on the 6.0 if ya know what I mean. care less about windows, would rather have the 60/40 over sliding side, (issues with oversized tires).

Will use it as a tow vehicle, for my FJ Cruiser/ or 4 runner/ or expo trailer.

Awesome Derek, thanks
cheers!
Martin

JMyerz

Adventurer
What about a Chevy Express AWD?

I just got a 2006 w/ 60k for $11k... in awesome shape too! At first glances it looks like a TCase swap from a silverado / suburban for "real" 4WD would be pretty simple...

Derek: Did you every get the pop top done on that Chevy we spoke about over email? Would love to see photos as I want to do one in the next year.

Thanks!!

Justin

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I drug home an AWD astro van two weeks ago but I have been so busy I have not had the chance to start cutting on it yet. The rate things are going I am not sure when I will get to it. As soon as I start cutting on it I will start a thread for everyone to see.
Derek

Hey Birdman call that guy at auto intregity and let him know what your looking for he likes to deal in those vans if he finds somthing he will let you know.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Pm 1speed as he is in Florida and might be able to check out the van for you..
I have the 6.0L Ford and they are detuned for the vans and don't have the issues the truck motors do.
Also you can check sportsmobileforum.com for anyone near the van who can check it out for you.

Wheelchair lifts can be had used for a few grand and new under $7k...I am working a deal that would mean changing the lift we are running in the Disabled Explorers WAVE (Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions)...depending on if you can wait a bit.

I would say $35k is high unless it has a built out interior of some kind.
Also the Quigley front end is not as tough at the Sportsmobile West coversion or others that are out there...depending on the wheeling you will do.

Does the van have a drivers transfer seat? Do you need one?
Is it already setup up with hand controls you can use?
You mention the VA so you have some options for outfiting a non-accessible van if you find one right?
Are you looking to camp in the van?

Yeah I know alot of questions...but I have learned it is easier to ask them up front and get lots of info vs giving you advice based on assumptions.

Looking forward to learning more!

BirdMan

Pm 1speed as he is in Florida and might be able to check out the van for you..
I have the 6.0L Ford and they are detuned for the vans and don't have the issues the truck motors do.
Also you can check sportsmobileforum.com for anyone near the van who can check it out for you.

Wheelchair lifts can be had used for a few grand and new under $7k...I am working a deal that would mean changing the lift we are running in the Disabled Explorers WAVE (Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions)...depending on if you can wait a bit.

I would say $35k is high unless it has a built out interior of some kind.
Also the Quigley front end is not as tough at the Sportsmobile West coversion or others that are out there...depending on the wheeling you will do.

Does the van have a drivers transfer seat? Do you need one?
Is it already setup up with hand controls you can use?
You mention the VA so you have some options for outfiting a non-accessible van if you find one right?
Are you looking to camp in the van?

Yeah I know alot of questions...but I have learned it is easier to ask them up front and get lots of info vs giving you advice based on assumptions.

Looking forward to learning more!

Hi Lance...
The van I spoke of is in Georgia just NW of Atlanta, and is at a conversion company. After speaking with the Owner, it has a dropped floor from the rear Queen bed up to engine cover and including the pass seating area. So no pass seat. I assume the chair sits there and is strapped down. Driver seat is not set up to swivel ect. Either way I now think it is way High priced as well.
So I will continue the search. Even looking at 2wd, to convert later. Also yes the VA will help out some, I have used my vehicle accessibility deal on my first van, but "big red" is long gone. Also, yes I will camp with it to some degree, and will do some wheeling with it as well. The FJ is my baby and I wheel it pretty hard for an IFS suv, but there are limits to it's ability. Like towing an expo trailer... I cant do the RTT, so I am limited there.
I see the ultimate setup as, nice 4wd van with power to pull the FJ on a trailer for my moderate wheeling trips, or put the 4 runner on for the hardcore stuff. Then I can also put an expo trailer of some sort on the van when I decide to hit the back-country for extended visits.
I have my annual "lube,oil,finger" visit at the VA in Tampa next month, and will be looking at an 02 E350, 2wd with the 7.3 and only 36k miles for $17

Thinking a convert to 4X is what about 10k???
I am in NO hurry... so I don't remember, what lift did you go with in the van? and why are you changing it out already

Martin "BirdMan"

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have the Braun Millinium commerical lift in the WAVE..we had to go with comm lift due to the floor to ground distance.
The Braun is not holding up very well offroad, needs freq cleaning, and help. They are not a partner in any way so no worries about telling the truth...then again we tell the truch anyway :)
I am talking with VMI/Ricon about switching to their comm lift & auto door openers.
I will report on how it holds up offroad if we make the change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78