Advice on adventure-ready 99 Discovery 2.

Plains Drifter

You guys keep mentioning the LR3, which hadn't even been on my short list to start with. I guess I had better check them out.

My budget is pretty firm at $7000. Can I get a decent one at that? I'm looking at 150k to 200k Sequoias at that price.

Ray_G

Explorer
I think its worth test driving the LR3 to get a comparison-I would note that if you are far from a dealer the Toyota may be a better choice just in case you find yourself dealing with issues that requires a dealer level capability.

That said, as one of the ones that keeps raising the LR3 as an option to consider, they are a great truck and a lot of vehicle for the $$$.
r-
Ray

Plains Drifter

I think its worth test driving the LR3 to get a comparison-I would note that if you are far from a dealer the Toyota may be a better choice just in case you find yourself dealing with issues that requires a dealer level capability.

That said, as one of the ones that keeps raising the LR3 as an option to consider, they are a great truck and a lot of vehicle for the $$$.
r-
Ray

I don't live anywhere near (several hours drive) from a LR dealer. Or any import dealer for that matter.

I've been an import guy my whole life. My first expedition vehicle was a 1989 Honda Civic AWD Wagon. I drove that thing, and camped in it, all over Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and New Mexico. After I got married I bought my 95 Pathfinder, and after 10 years in it I bought my XTerra, which I've had for 6 years.

I'm a zealot about the routine maintenance, but other than a starter in the Pathy, none of those vehicles ever left me stranded or required any extra work. All 3 vehicles went everywhere I needed, no problems. Rock solid dependable.

I also always lived in bigger college cities, and always had import mechanics near me should I ever need them. Now I live miles from nowhere, in the most rural section of Nebraska, and will be here at least 3 more years.

A good friend of mine owns an import used car dealership. He knows my affinity for imports well. He told me I should buy an 04 - 06 Z71 Tahoe. He cited, solid truck, strong engine, better MPG than Sequoia, cheap parts, and anyone can work on it. Including the Chevy dealer in the tiny town where I now live.

What do you guys think?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I don't live anywhere near (several hours drive) from a LR dealer. Or any import dealer for that matter.

I've been an import guy my whole life. My first expedition vehicle was a 1989 Honda Civic AWD Wagon. I drove that thing, and camped in it, all over Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and New Mexico. After I got married I bought my 95 Pathfinder, and after 10 years in it I bought my XTerra, which I've had for 6 years.

I'm a zealot about the routine maintenance, but other than a starter in the Pathy, none of those vehicles ever left me stranded or required any extra work. All 3 vehicles went everywhere I needed, no problems. Rock solid dependable.

I also always lived in bigger college cities, and always had import mechanics near me should I ever need them. Now I live miles from nowhere, in the most rural section of Nebraska, and will be here at least 3 more years.

A good friend of mine owns an import used car dealership. He knows my affinity for imports well. He told me I should buy an 04 - 06 Z71 Tahoe. He cited, solid truck, strong engine, better MPG than Sequoia, cheap parts, and anyone can work on it. Including the Chevy dealer in the tiny town where I now live.

What do you guys think?

FWIW the D3/LR3 has several FoMoCo components, its logical to work on, most of the real problem areas are user-serviceable. I don't think the distance from dealer should be an absolute dealbreaker, BByer if I recall right, lives VERY far from a dealer somewhere in Canada. He seems to get along fine. You would definitely need a GAP tool for the computer/suspension component stuff (a lot of the forum complaints over the years were suspension issues that the computer freaked out over). Maybe find one, get inspected before purchase (by a dealer), then sort out major issues with owner/price drop, get the tranny fluid changed and a new pan (this is one of those difficult jobs at home), most of the other stuff is just oil changes, good cooling maintenance, pump new fluids into t-case/diff every once in a few years. Oh and keep a spare alternator around if you submerge yours in a cocoon of mud like I did... easy to replace though if you have one on hand!

In the end go with what you love. If you love Chevy, go for it, if you love a Landy... well.

Last edited:

kcabpilot

Observer
Unless you have a brand new vehicle under a very extensive warranty you should never go to a dealership for anything.

As for LR3 or even Chevy vs Toyota, I think those are viable choices. With a Toyota you are paying a premium for a name and frankly, much of it is based on myth. The Land Cruiser is a legend but they are built in their own separate factory with components that are substantially more stout than the Sequoias and 4runners and come with an even higher premium tacked on.

Still, a 7k budget is a little shy for a good LR3 I would think. I looked at a very nice '07 a few months back and it sold for 18k.

Plains Drifter

Actually I thought the Tahoe would be cheaper than the Toyota. After looking at dozens of both, they appear to be priced the same. $7000 gets you an 01 - 05 with 200k on the clock. And the Tahoe will probably have rusty bumpers.

Who is buying these things at $7k?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears