Advice on buying a 1986 HJ60...PLEASE!

Rob P

I am new to the Land Cruiser world...owner of old Jeeps, Muscle car, and motorcycles. But I have forever yearned for either a Land Cruiser 60 or Defender 110. I am now in the position to purchase a 1986 HJ60. I took a look at her today. She has a few spots on the roof where rust was repaired and a pin hole on the rear window that still needs to be fixed. I checked underneath, fender wells, fender lips, bottom of doors and found nothing. The diesel runs with only a quick puff of black smoke on start up (nothing when revved). The current owner has replaced the head, rocket arm assembly, radiator, and clutch slave. He also redid the glow plug system with German 24V plugs and had the injectors cleaned and tested. For its age, it is in good shape. She needs a paint job as the last one was done poorly. The interior is not great, but not horrible either. It does NOT have Air Conditioning. It does have power brakes, steering, and clutch. But the windows and doors are manual. It has 490,000KM (around 280,000 miles). He is asking around $9000. So...my question is this a fair price and what nightmares should I expect:) Many thanks in advance, I truly appreciate your thoughts.

Rob

Hj61 12ht

It's difficult to advise on price, it all depends on how much they go for in your area and condition.
If it has rust holes in the roof then there will be a lot more rust in there, very expensive to repair properly.
If it drives well with few leaks, and steers well, then there is not much that will likely go wrong.
Has the suspension been replaced? Decent springs make a big difference.

mongoose2231

Observer
Oh and I am rebuilding the engine as it blew black smoke severely, and after doing all maintenance, injectors and the like she still blew smoke. Compression tester revealed 300psi on all cylinders, so bottom end of allowable compression. I'd say your 9k truck sounds like a deal

Arktikos

Explorer
Test drive it. Make sure it shifts smoothly, including reverse. If it's the one I'm thinking of, white in color, the current owner hasn't owned it for very long, which could be a red flag. It had some clutch issues, maybe they're resolved now. I think it was a US FJ60 with an engine and transmission transplant. Looked like there was some rust repair in the front door pillars. Rust underneath the head liner would make me nervous in a humid climate. Cool trucks, for sure, those diesel 60s. Good luck.

Rob P

Blind Cleric,

You are correct, it is the one you are talking about. I checked the VIN, it is from Canada, so original engine and transmission. However, I am very concerned about the rust as you stated. Thank you very much!

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I would say its high mileage, but with decent head work it should be good. A little black smoke on start is normal. In Canada rust on the roof line is not as normal as
it is in the lower 48. Check the sealant in the gutters, and under along the roof line. Price is subjective. Also, when checking the transmission, make sure it stays in 5th
ok under load. 5th tends to get sloppy and can pop out, indicating need for rebuild. Always post pics if you really want closer opinion. Did you check cyl compression?

Rob P

Just back from a series of TDYs (I am in the military). Above are the photos. Still trying to decide if I pull the trigger. Thank you again.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Dont know much about Toyotas but I'll still point out something most people tend to pass over in these kinds of potential purchases. The motor might have been freshened up, but it's not the only thing that has almost 300,000 miles on it. Everything on the vehicle does. Switches, wiring, door hinges, instruments, axles....everything. I would have to take a very serious and very thorough look at this thing before I'd pull the trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle