AEV 10 Gallon Fuel Tank

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
That's what I was worried about my Toyos are 13.5 wide mounted on 17s with 4.5" BS. My setup may be incompatible. Bummer. Looked like a great idea.

I would be extremely surprised if the AEV crew didn't think this one through.
They know their customers run everything from 32's to 37's (maybe even 39's?) and I'll bet my bottom dollar they have a solution for the gas tank to work with all of those, from skinny tires to fat with/without a ton of backspacing.

-Dan

JPK

Explorer
On second thought, thinking about it, I have to agree with Overland Chronicles and Grecy. Knowing AEV they have thought it through.

Looking at Scott's pic of the red one - it looks like a black plastic cover over the wheel mount (on my phone any way). If it slides, it would work in tandem with the mount position.

Also looks like a recess for the AEV break light.

JPK

Explorer
Tanks are awesome so far. We have water and fuel units. More testing with the SuperSiphon soon and we will report.

So Scott, is there a water version? Or are you all just using one of the gas versions for water?

I have the 18 gal Long Ranger auxilliary tank in mine, so range isn't an issue, but water would be NICE!

JPK

On second thought, thinking about it, I have to agree with Overland Chronicles and Grecy. Knowing AEV they have thought it through.

Just noticed in the first pic (rendering) a hole to access the anti- vibration screw. To me that would indicate the setup keeps all original adjustment for tire size.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
It is an AEV rear bumper application only. It really opens up the possibilities for better utilizing the space where the muffler is, like for a second battery, etc.
Why would it not fit or be adapted to fit a stock tire carrier? Marketing reason so we need to buy the correct bumper and tire carrier?:peepwall:

aristobrat

Observer
Why would it not fit or be adapted to fit a stock tire carrier? Marketing reason so we need to buy the correct bumper and tire carrier?:peepwall:
Um, the stock tire carrier relies on the tailgate to support the weight. The tailgate can barely support the weight of a 32" Rubicon tire, much less the weight of a tire + 60 additional pounds of gasoline.

JPK

Explorer
Even if AEV had tried to design a fuel tank for the stock carrier neither the carrier nor the tailgate could handle the weight. Jeez, even a 35" tire can cause issues with the tailgate hinges. Just the fuel in the AEV tank weighs an extra ~70lbs, that's more than the Rubicon tire and wheel.

Don't crap on AEV for making a tire carrier that can handle a +100lb tire and wheel and an extra ~70bls.

BTW, the AEV tire carrier works with the factory bumper, you wouldn't need the great AEV bumper if you don't want it. (And after living with it for a year and wacking it rocks, etc., I can say it really is a great bumper. I like the 7.5gal water capacity too.)

JPK

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Even if AEV had tried to design a fuel tank for the stock carrier neither the carrier nor the tailgate could handle the weight. Jeez, even a 35" tire can cause issues with the tailgate hinges. Just the fuel in the AEV tank weighs an extra ~70lbs, that's more than the Rubicon tire and wheel.

Don't crap on AEV for making a tire carrier that can handle a +100lb tire and wheel and an extra ~70bls.

BTW, the AEV tire carrier works with the factory bumper, you wouldn't need the great AEV bumper if you don't want it. (And after living with it for a year and wacking it rocks, etc., I can say it really is a great bumper. I like the 7.5gal water capacity too.)

JPK
Thanks for the insight, it's appreciated. And now please take a chill-pill; I was not "crapping" on AEV - really like their stuff and commitment - was just asking a simple question :D

JPK

Explorer
Thanks for the insight, it's appreciated. And now please take a chill-pill; I was not "crapping" on AEV - really like their stuff and commitment - was just asking a simple question :D

Here's your earlier post: "Why would it not fit or be adapted to fit a stock tire carrier? Marketing reason so we need to buy the correct bumper and tire carrier?"

You were not "just asking a simple question" in your second sentence, you were making an uncomplementary and unfair inference regarding AEV's motives, i.e., crapping on AEV.

JPK

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179