AEV J8 Milspec First Drive Video

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Nice job on the video Bill. Wow, that is a GREAT rig. What's the estimated going rate for the J8 with diesel drivetrain installed? Anyone have any hard figures?

Thanks Kristian! Expeditionpictures is the master behind the camera, I was in the J8 interviewing Scott while he drove. If you liked the video, be sure to subscribe to the Overland Expo 2009 podcast in iTunes (your choice of HD or iPod). We have some pretty great videos coming soon.

My take aways from the shoot:
- The J8 is a tank, very little in common with a JK, very stout build and suspension
- The diesel has a surprising amount of power
- The brakes are VERY powerful
- The vehicle has a very similar feel to a D90 TDi, albeit way more power
- Amenities include seats and a steering wheel. If you are expecting a luxury vehicle, this isn't it.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I just subscribed to my first podcast EVER!! (I know that's pretty sad, I'm a little behind the times...)

Starscream

Adventurer
We had this one at our Open House back in May. What an f'n sweet vehicle!

J8-OK-OH090847.jpg

J8-OK-OH090845.jpg

J8-OK-OH090839.jpg

J8-OK-OH090842.jpg

(Photos courtesy Mike Hansen, Jeepfan.com)

Last edited:

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Just think, somewhere in the world there are commandos in a 3rd world country putting down a coup with the expedition vehicle of your dreams:costumed-smiley-007

1speedlos

Observer
Can I ask a semi-hijack question?

I've noticed the cold-air intake on the hood- any ideas as to why they didn't go with a snorkel? Is the hood mount high enough to mitigate water intake without being exposed, maybe?
Just wondering...

Los

Overdrive

Adventurer
Legalities of the diesel?

I'm curious as to how the legal issues of the diesel have been worked out. I don't think the engine has been certified for USA emissions past 2006, which is why it went away in the Liberty????? So, putting it in anything '06 or older would be OK, but not something brand new...

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Scott

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm curious as to how the legal issues of the diesel have been worked out. I don't think the engine has been certified for USA emissions past 2006, which is why it went away in the Liberty????? So, putting it in anything '06 or older would be OK, but not something brand new...

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Scott

Good point. I was also wondering if it is even possible to register the J8 in CA as a "kit" car with the diesel.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I've noticed the cold-air intake on the hood- any ideas as to why they didn't go with a snorkel? Is the hood mount high enough to mitigate water intake without being exposed, maybe?

I'm thinking that the intake shown above is the every day trim for the intake. There is likely a fording kit that extends that intake higher. Think of a M38/M38A1. They had the intake similarly located but had fording kits to get the intake higher when going into the water. HMMWV as well IIRC.

haven

Expedition Leader
The emissions issue is unproven, but AEV claims that by
selling the J8 as a rolling chassis that you put an engine
in, the vehicle can be considered a kit car. The rules for
emissions controls for kit cars vary by state, but in general
the rules are more lenient than for production vehicles.
Obviously, you should contact the DMV in your state for
more information. AEV may be able to refer you to a
shop in your state that has experience with engine swaps.

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12