AEV Jeep Conversions...

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
Too bad there isn't a company like AEV doing turn key conversions for Toyota trucks.

If there was a shop doing AEV esque builds for Toyota, I'd be putting one next to my JK350. I'd love a 4runner or Tacoma fully outfitted.

Clutch

<---Pass
If there was a shop doing AEV esque builds for Toyota, I'd be putting one next to my JK350. I'd love a 4runner or Tacoma fully outfitted.

Give SDHQ a call, they'll build you anything.

10156938_801216993226273_433725519_n.jpg

86000sdhq01.jpg

156189d1343189489-good_4.jpg

JeepinJon

Observer
I am of the opinion that AEV items are expensive, but at the same time they are something that once you see in person they really do stand out compared to the competition. My AEV bumpers have smooth lines that I prefer the looks of over the angular looks of most other bumpers. AEV also has the best fitting corners out there and many other companies start with them to build their corners (PSC, GenRight). In addition the rear bumper gives overlanders many features that other comapnies haven't thought of, or been able to engineer (water tanks built into the bumper, using area behind spare for a shovel and gas).

While I would love to be able to afford a full conversion from AEV, I don't have that kind of money. At the same time I do have an appreciation for their products, and have bought many products from them to be able to get the same function and look.

While some people may argue abotu the weight, for a full width bumper the AEV is one of the stronger bumpers out there, but at the same time is fairly light for a full width. I could go with a stubby bumper, or even a luminum and probably save 50 pounds on each bumper, but at the same time what am I giving up with that 100 pound total weight savings? I am giving up some protection of the radiator, protection of the fenders, and other components that would be protected since an animal strike would be spread over a wider area as the animal is most likely to be pushed to the side of my Jeep past the wheels.

For some people animal strikes are of little concern, but from my 7 years living in Montana and driving through open range animals scare me on the road. I have come around a corner in the dark on a mountain pass doing the speed limit to find a cow sleeping in the middle of the road. I have also driven down the interstate and seen a moose casually stepping over the concrete divider between the sides of the road. I have seen people hit horses. These aren't the average deer strikes that I am trying to protect against, and I do still drive in Montana for at least a few weeks every year.

I would say that my requirements driving in the Northwest are different than someone driving in the Southwest. I am not looking for maximum approach angles, or the ability to drive through the desert at high rates of speed. I am simply looking to protect my Jeep for the areas I drive through both on-road, and off, while at the same time fitting the aesthetics that I prefer.

I look at AEV similar to the Apple products (Apple tax). Many people will comment that Apple products have a much higher retail price than other companies electronics. At the same time though Apple also tends to have a higher resale value than other electronics companies so once you have made the initial investment future upgrades are less painful. For example I bought an AEV bumper in 2008, and I just sold it to upgrade to the newer AEV front bumper with a bit more tire clearance. Most companies 5-6 year old bumpers have little value (maybe $200-$300) however I ended up only losing a few hundred dollars compared to when I bought the bumper 6 years ago. This higher resale value means I can upgrade to the newer AEV style without it being as painful as if I had gone with another manufacturer the first time around.

I have also read the comments about weight, and to be honest the Jeep JK wasn't designed to carry a lot of weight. Based on the GVWR if I had a family of four and went shopping at the mall and Costco I could easilly be over the GVWR. For overland and expedition use I think that the best way to get around this on the JK would be to use a trailer. For some this may be impractical, or not the way they would want to use their Jeep, and that is fine. At the same time once you start to fit a kitchen (fridge and stove slider from Adventure Trailers,) there isn't a lot of room behind the seats for cargo.

aluke0510

Adventurer
I have also read the comments about weight, and to be honest the Jeep JK wasn't designed to carry a lot of weight. Based on the GVWR if I had a family of four and went shopping at the mall and Costco I could easilly be over the GVWR. For overland and expedition use I think that the best way to get around this on the JK would be to use a trailer. For some this may be impractical, or not the way they would want to use their Jeep, and that is fine. At the same time once you start to fit a kitchen (fridge and stove slider from Adventure Trailers,) there isn't a lot of room behind the seats for cargo.

Well I have to agree with the above. Towing capacities are generally fine for trailers; I wouldn't want to do much highway driving with any 2 door and a trailer though. But the weight is a problem when it comes to trying to take 4 people or add on too much. A lot of people don't recognise it and don't want to talk about it. Honestly if I was needing something to carry 4 for overland use the toyota 4 Runner is about the best I could see when I was looking, I think something like 1500lbs payload. Once you even everything out with fuel economy and equivalent driving range the 4 runner even beats a land cruiser...

If the following weights are correct (I found them on http://www.automobile-catalog.com), then with the exception of the Kaiser CJ-5, it seems likely that most Jeeps modified in the last 40+ years exceeded their stock GVWR.

Code:
GVWR     CURB     PAYLOAD CAP
3750     2273     1477         1967 Kaiser-Jeep CJ-5 Universal Jeep
3750     2960     790          1977 Jeep CJ-5 304 V-8
4189     3097     1092         1987 Jeep Wrangler Hard-Top 4.2L
4354     3296     1058         1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport Hardtop 4.0
5401     4133     1268         2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.8 Sport
5278     4277     1001         2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 Sport

With that many decades of Jeep owners wheeling around in vehicles likely having exceeded GVWR, I did Google searches for "Jeep exceeding GVWR insurance" and "Jeep exceeding GVWR ticket", expecting to be able to read through hundreds of owners experiences on those matters. I didn't find one (but I only went through the first 3-4 pages of results). That was surprising.

Look at it this way. The CJ5, 7, YJ, TJ, and JK are really only good for expedition use with 2 passengers. As a result the remaining payload after passengers is higher... With a JKU even with only two passengers that leaves a lot of space. And to fill up all the space will most likely take you over the GVWR. Notice the Kaiser CJ5 has a much higher payload because the vehicle is lighter, lighter engine, less accessories, etc. What can you do to lighten yours? Skip out a bit on some of the really nice to have and not so much needed items. Think about it as in if you just say that at night you will drive slower than normal. Can save weight on bumpers and extra lights.

Mine is a CJ8 with 1200lbs payload capacity from stock. For example I have pulled a lot out of my vehicle and have decided against adding a lot. No big bumper with bull bars (eventually be an aluminium bumper...), minimal skids, sliders/nerf bars coming off, dash pad out, no centre console, no heater, no AC, sticking with the 258 engine - maybe eventually going to an aluminium block chevy v6... I don't carry a fridge, just plan meals that don't require it (you will be surprised how resilient fresh vegetables and fruits are from your local farmers market), dried foods, biltong, pepperoni, salami, hard cheese... All last surprisingly well. No fancy roof top tent or big camp chairs. No table. I use the tailgate as a table and chair, sleep under the stars or in a 4lb 2man backpacking tent, no air mattress just a light foam pad, stove is from my mountaineering days and runs off most any liquid fuel. Storage is duffles I can easily haul around re organise, etc...

Search this in google "exceeding gvwr insurance".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179