AEV jeep opinions; comments on reliability and durability?

r3run33

Adventurer
Hello seem to be getting the Jeep thing again; currently have a LX470 (100 series toyota) interested in a 5 door AEV jeep wrangler; any opinions on the V8's they offer? pro or con for either the offering. Ok so why am I going to Jeep; well I really want the convertible aspect, plus the size limits of going off-road doing the Rubicon etc. a place where my LX would not allow to go. Well actually maybe but a lot more damage would probably occur.

Ok so looking for opinions on durability and reliability of product; the lift used on the jeep, shocks etc. thanks

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
AEV is top quality and I think the 5.7 hemi with MDS would be the best bet. The only thing is Get the savegre wheels, or the new versions they just released, the pintler wheels have an inherent design flaw and they crack and the thin spot in the spoke. Other than that AEV is what I would buy if I were buying a complete setup jeep.

I really wish they would start selling the bridger wheel again. That was my favorite wheel of any bolted to a jeep product. They are the nicest looking and are strong.

r3run33

Adventurer
thanks for the feed back; this weekend going to go on a little road trip to test drive one. No aev in my area so have to travel a bit unfortunately they are all punster. but I can get a feel for the lift setup etc

aristobrat

Observer
Ok so looking for opinions on durability and reliability of product; the lift used on the jeep, shocks etc. thanks
I've been running their 3.5" lift/35" KM2s on my 2010 JKUR since the summer of 2010. This summer I upgraded to their 4.5" springs and 37" KM2s.

My JKUR is my daily driver, and I'm usually able to get it off-road once or twice a month. From April-October, the off-roading usually consists of crawling through the more difficult rocks at Rausch Creek, Crozet (private park in VA) and Uwharrie National Forest.

My experience with it as my daily driver is that with the 3.5"/35, it handled better than stock -- less body roll in corners. With 4.5"/37s, it has a little more body roll, and feels more like stock. I tend to drive a bit fast (when I can do it and not be a ******** to other traffic), so I really appreciate how this lift handles.

My experience with crawling it through rocks is that it's performed perfectly and held up a whole lot better than I expected. AEV's lifts reuse some stock parts, like the front track bar & drag link, as well as all of the control arms. From what others were saying about the "lack of strength" of stock parts, I expected to get one summer of use out of those stock parts before they failed and I had to replace them. Having just finished the fifth year of wheeling with these stock parts, the only one I've had to replaced was the stock track bar (one of the bushings wore out earlier this year). I've optionally replaced two lower control arms over the years that had slight bends. I've also replaced the AEV front control arm drop brackets once ... went from their first-gen (2010) design to the one they currently sell.

I've also run (and beat the snot out of) their Pintler wheels since 2010. I've had to replace two due to severe rock rash over the last 5 years (couldn't stand how they looked), but zero issues with anything structural with them. Some other folks have had air leaks from where the spokes connect to rim.

Scott Brady

Founder
We have a ton of miles on AEV products, including driving all the way to Panama with their wheels and suspension. We currently have one of their Brute conversions and have never experienced a failure. We have thousands of miles on their HEMI conversions, also without failure. We have not been easy on them either. . .

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I love that video. That sold me on AEV tuning. I am still not 100% on the pintler wheels but everything else is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears