AEV Recruit - AEV does the RAM 1500

haven

Expedition Leader
Chris Cordes continues his exploration of the AEV Recruit
https://expeditionportal.com/first-drive-aev-ram-recruit/

This model has 18 inch wheels and 35 inch tires. Chris reports that ground clearance is reduced from the AEV Prospector (40 inch tires and solid front axle), but that it didn't make an appreciable difference on the trails he drove. The Recruit's front suspension, modified from the stock Ram 1500 IFS, was very comfortable, and quite capable off road.

Chris' conclusion neatly makes the case for the AEV Recruit over its big brother Prospector, which is based on the Ram 2500:

"In every way [the Recruit] is the smoother and more civilized brother to the 2500; a truck that packs all the style and utility of the Prospector into a more affordable and comfortable package. While it may lack the awe factor of 40” tires, and the huge articulation of a Power Wagon, it has the fuel economy, maneuverability, and capability to take you anywhere you need to go, while still fitting in the garage at home."

My understanding is that the Recruit suspension mods are not designed for Ram vehicles equipped with air suspension. That means no go for the 1500 with V6 diesel.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Chris Cordes continues his exploration of the AEV Recruit
https://expeditionportal.com/first-drive-aev-ram-recruit/

This model has 18 inch wheels and 35 inch tires. Chris reports that ground clearance is reduced from the AEV Prospector (40 inch tires and solid front axle), but that it didn't make an appreciable difference on the trails he drove. The Recruit's front suspension, modified from the stock Ram 1500 IFS, was very comfortable, and quite capable off road.

Chris' conclusion neatly makes the case for the AEV Recruit over its big brother Prospector, which is based on the Ram 2500:

"In every way [the Recruit] is the smoother and more civilized brother to the 2500; a truck that packs all the style and utility of the Prospector into a more affordable and comfortable package. While it may lack the awe factor of 40” tires, and the huge articulation of a Power Wagon, it has the fuel economy, maneuverability, and capability to take you anywhere you need to go, while still fitting in the garage at home."

My understanding is that the Recruit suspension mods are not designed for Ram vehicles equipped with air suspension. That means no go for the 1500 with V6 diesel.

my ecodiesel doesnt have air ride...quite a lot of them dont...WHOO HOO!!!

AEV

Supporting Sponsor - American Expedition Vehicles
Lost me at 20" alloys

As with everything AEV, there is a reason behind it. With the way the current gen of Ram 1500s is set up, you cannot clear a smaller wheel with the stock tie-rod ends. For the time being, we offered a Recruit package for the customer that wants a 1/2 ton truck complete with 20" wheels. We have an 18" wheel designed and we are just waiting a few more weeks until the shipment arrives. In order to fit the 18" wheel, we developed a low profile tie-rod end. If offering a smaller wheel on the stock truck was an option, we would have done it. It took a little extra time to design and engineer products to compliment the rest of the truck.

AEV

Seems like a lot of dough for a lift that doesn't add performance. Appears to be a "paying for the name" type of package....AEVucci....

This IFS suspension system for the Ram 1500 is latest addition to the AEV DualSport family and raises the bar for all other premium suspension systems in the aftermarket. We invested a considerable amount of time into developing and testing this IFS suspension system to ensure that it exceeded our strict performance and safety requirements both on and off the road. These requirements resulted in the implementation of some very innovative components and unique design features that are not currently found in any other 2013-17 Ram 1500 suspension on the market, such as improved suspension and steering geometry, military grade A206 T4 aluminum steering knuckles, a robust 4mm stamped steel skid plate, AEV-specific Bilstein 5100 series shocks and height adjustable struts and AEV's ProCal Module. The introduction of the stamped steel skid plate acts as a shrink wrap to tuck everything up. You actually gain a full 4" of clearance with this lift, and among other things, increasing the performance of the truck itself.

AEV

No, not all.

I run a basically stock vehicles. No stacks, no snorkels, no 20"+ wheels.

My joking must of got lost in translation on the intergoogle machine with ya....*cornfused*

Both the Bro-Dozer and the AEV 1500 Eco diesel are kinda silly. Those huge tires will just kill the mileage on the Ecodiesel...honestly rather have it bone stock, and try and get the best mpg out of it. Think that means I am getting old. ;) :D

For what it is worth, this past weekend I was seeing 16.2MPG with the 6.7L Cummins on a Prospector XL with 40x13.50s. The previous week I was seeing 15.5mpg with a 5.7L Hemi Recruit on 35x12.50s. I have not had an extended amount of time with an Ecodiesel truck yet so I cannot report on mpg for that truck. We have one in the field that I will try to track down and see what the fuel economy is looking like.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm not saying your wrong, but I've never personally experienced the cummins mileage that many boast about, and I've owned quite a few. My last one, a 2014 6.7, had 3.73 gears and stock tires and got 16 to 17 and I didn't drive it hard.

Clutch

<---Pass
This IFS suspension system for the Ram 1500 is latest addition to the AEV DualSport family and raises the bar for all other premium suspension systems in the aftermarket. We invested a considerable amount of time into developing and testing this IFS suspension system to ensure that it exceeded our strict performance and safety requirements both on and off the road. These requirements resulted in the implementation of some very innovative components and unique design features that are not currently found in any other 2013-17 Ram 1500 suspension on the market, such as improved suspension and steering geometry, military grade A206 T4 aluminum steering knuckles, a robust 4mm stamped steel skid plate, AEV-specific Bilstein 5100 series shocks and height adjustable struts and AEV's ProCal Module. The introduction of the stamped steel skid plate acts as a shrink wrap to tuck everything up. You actually gain a full 4" of clearance with this lift, and among other things, increasing the performance of the truck itself.

$15K still seems like a lot of cash, and you only get Billies 5100's. Cheaper to go long travel, and get a whole lot more performance.

http://www.pure-performance.biz/product-p/r1cs30.htm

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/s...truck-turning-a-ram-into-an-off-road-gazelle/

These requirements resulted in the implementation of some very innovative components and unique design features that are not currently found in any other 2013-17 Ram 1500 suspension on the market, such as improved suspension and steering geometry, military grade A206 T4 aluminum steering knuckles, a robust 4mm stamped steel skid plate, AEV-specific Bilstein 5100 series shocks and height adjustable struts and AEV's ProCal Module. The introduction of the stamped steel skid plate acts as a shrink wrap to tuck everything up.

Does the kit gain you any more travel and articulation, or only lift height?

For what it is worth, this past weekend I was seeing 16.2MPG with the 6.7L Cummins on a Prospector XL with 40x13.50s. The previous week I was seeing 15.5mpg with a 5.7L Hemi Recruit on 35x12.50s. I have not had an extended amount of time with an Ecodiesel truck yet so I cannot report on mpg for that truck. We have one in the field that I will try to track down and see what the fuel economy is looking like.

Real curious what a lift and 35" tires does to the ecodiesel's fuel consumption.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I've never personally experienced the cummins mileage that many boast about, and I've owned quite a few. My last one, a 2014 6.7, had 3.73 gears and stock tires and got 16 to 17 and I didn't drive it hard.

Ahhh...the internet's tall tales... ;)

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch, it seems you're just grasping at straws here. Might be time to pipe down...

Do you think a drop bracket lift is worth $15K? Whole thing reads like marketing hype to me. But some are easily wowed, just because of badging....

Be nice to see a head to head comparison of the AEV kit vs. long travel. What are the performance differences for the same amount of cash? You seem like a numbers guy, wouldn't you want the most for your money?

This vs.

img_4911-1.jpg

...this.

016-dodgeram-pureperformance-4wheelparts-assembly.jpg

Last edited:

daveh

Adventurer
The Ram 1500 4" lift retails for $2995. The price of 15k is for the full AEV Recruit package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
The Ram 1500 4" lift retails for $2995. The price of 15k is for the full AEV Recruit package.

Still seems like a lot for a drop bracket lift. Where-as you can get some much better coil-overs and UCA's.

daveh

Adventurer
Still seems like a lot for a drop bracket lift. Where-as you can get some much better coil-overs and UCA's.

Agreed, definitely a lot of coin but after seeing the lift at expo west it's obvious how much time and engineering went into the final product not to mention the expense of tooling the aluminum brackets. R and D is certainly not cheap.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Clutch, step back and read your posts on this (and other) thread(s). You repeat the same message over and over again on topics you don't have experience with - message (1) nothing new has value, you want simpler, more payload, more mpg, for less money, want manual windows, vinyl, no truck on the market has the value to get you out of your 200k+ miles tacoma, (2) in your view using a clutch somehow = being active. (What about actual physical activity outside of vehicle?) (3) rather than topic being discussed, photo of your dirtbike, indicating you'd rather ride you dirtbike.

Why don't you do a paragraph on each of those messages, start a new thread with it in there and then everytime you're going to rewrite that message, just hyperlink to it. It would save a lot of paper.

Clutch

<---Pass
Agreed, definitely a lot of coin but after seeing the lift at expo west it's obvious how much time and engineering went into the final product not to mention the expense of tooling the aluminum brackets. R and D is certainly not cheap.

Seems like a lot of time, money, and energy that doesn't gain too much performance other than some gained height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan