AEV "skunk works" photos

lowenbrau

Explorer
Interesting stuff. Anybody have a comment on why this version uses leafs in the back? Likely the most rugged considering the widely varying load. It runs contrary to my desire to lose the rear leafs in favor of a four link and airbags for the same reasons.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
How about the other goodies ---- ammo boxes, jerrycan holders, etc.

Jeep_LPV6.jpg

Jeep_LPV3.jpg

Jeep_LPV5.jpg

Jeep_LPV2.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Don't be so sure about the emissions control waiver. Take a look at this:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/kitcar.htm

"4. The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced. "

A rolling chassis based on a 2009 production model could be considered an "approximate disassembled vehicle."

I'm sure the AEV website will provide guidance on this subject when they start offering the J8 for sale.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
Part of the Pickuptrucks.com report is that the J8, with its Dana 60 axle, bigger brakes, reinforced
frame, stronger bumpers, suspension lift and bigger tires, will be available as a four door hardtop
as well as a pickup.

I bet a lot of J8s will be built with a Hemi and AEV's manual transmission kit.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Don't be so sure about the emissions control waiver. Take a look at this:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/kitcar.htm

"4. The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced. "

A rolling chassis based on a 2009 production model could be considered an "approximate disassembled vehicle."

I'm sure the AEV website will provide guidance on this subject when they start offering the J8 for sale.

Chip Haven

I have a close friend at MB International in Montvale; the 2.8 CRD is at least 49 state legal according to him.

Another photo. Which color do you like best?

aev-j8-1.jpg
Desert tan please.

86cj

Explorer
I would buy a J8 2 door with No engine and transmission..........It must have the factory soft top though, that looks tough......

Hey AEV! My LJ is paid off next month.............

Well, careful what you wish for, I guess it is time to "Pony up" and make some calls. I was not planning another payment so soon :eek:,..................This feels like the Twilight Zone or something..

Zeero

Adventurer
I am %100 into the Tan 2 door....with the diesel motor please...Canada is cool with diesel, no where near the redtape that you in the US have.

Too bad that $50,000 price tage is on it.....at that price I'll never have one...thats just too much for a truck of any kind...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior