Affordable Stand for My Southwest Disk Discada Pan

garrettwilson05wk

While doing some research the past few weeks, looking at my options for cooking pans i came across the Southwest Disk pans. I went ahead and ordered one and it arrived last week. The pan is awesome i cooked on it the first night i got it to try it out and think it is the perfect option for large group camping. But fast forward to this week i was looking at options for a stand of some sort to hold the pan but also the burner and 1lb propane tank i use. I ended up finding an outdoor plant stand at Tractor Supply that is going to work great.

I have attached the link for the plant stand.

Attachments

• PXL_20240409_230808553.jpg
    PXL_20240409_230808553.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240409_230706206.jpg
    PXL_20240409_230706206.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8

tall

Very cool. What size is that Discada? And is that lil single burner enough heat for it, or is this something temporary and you're planning to upgrade?

garrettwilson05wk

Very cool. What size is that Discada? And is that lil single burner enough heat for it, or is this something temporary and you're planning to upgrade?
Thanks, the discada is a 22in disk. As far as the burner goes, i have ran a few heat test with it this week and just that one burner on the second to lowest setting will get the pan heated to 500 degrees in the dead center and about 200 degrees on the outer edge. If needed i could turn it up i believe 4-5 more times for more heat.

tall

Thanks, the discada is a 22in disk. As far as the burner goes, i have ran a few heat test with it this week and just that one burner on the second to lowest setting will get the pan heated to 500 degrees in the dead center and about 200 degrees on the outer edge. If needed i could turn it up i believe 4-5 more times for more heat.
Excellent. I'm currently using a 12x20 10ga carbon steel griddle on my 2 burner camp chef Everest stove. I rarely need both burners worth of heat, but like the surface area because I can have a hot zone and cool zone. The bummer is using the griddle means even if I'm using only one burner, the griddle blocks the other burner and I can't use it for boiling water or whatever.

So I carry a small propane single-burner stove for those instances, which is pretty silly since the camp chef is already bigger than I'd like it to be. I've been thinking about ditching the 2 burner and the griddle and going with two separate single burners (eg, something like your discada -- I have a 22" cast iron paella pan that may work?): Maybe a burner+stand like you're using, and then a smaller backpacking-size burner to use strictly for boiling water. I already have all this stuff so it would be easy to try, then decide if I want to swap the cast iron paella for a discada.

Hmm... Looking again at your photos, your burner might be bigger (more btu) than the one I have. Any chance you have a link? I think mine is an older optimus, screw-on/bottle top, maybe 8,000 btu?

Garrett, I have the same disk, but use the burner/stand that came with a crab boiler. The burner connects to any standard propane bottle.

The discada is very well made and is effective.

garrettwilson05wk

Excellent. I'm currently using a 12x20 10ga carbon steel griddle on my 2 burner camp chef Everest stove. I rarely need both burners worth of heat, but like the surface area because I can have a hot zone and cool zone. The bummer is using the griddle means even if I'm using only one burner, the griddle blocks the other burner and I can't use it for boiling water or whatever.

So I carry a small propane single-burner stove for those instances, which is pretty silly since the camp chef is already bigger than I'd like it to be. I've been thinking about ditching the 2 burner and the griddle and going with two separate single burners (eg, something like your discada -- I have a 22" cast iron paella pan that may work?): Maybe a burner+stand like you're using, and then a smaller backpacking-size burner to use strictly for boiling water. I already have all this stuff so it would be easy to try, then decide if I want to swap the cast iron paella for a discada.

Hmm... Looking again at your photos, your burner might be bigger (more btu) than the one I have. Any chance you have a link? I think mine is an older optimus, screw-on/bottle top, maybe 8,000 btu?
i love the fact that the discada pan i have i am able to move the stuff to the outside edge to keep stuff warm. Since my trip to Colorado is with 20 people so there will be some large meals to cook. I think if you already have the paella pan that should work perfect, one of the reasons i went this route is because i already had the burner and the 1lb tanks.

For some reason it does not like me posted the amazon link here, but its just the Coleman Propane burner set.

1712945642354.png

garrettwilson05wk

@Sparse Gray Hackle im glad the discada is working well for you. I have only tested it twice this week but man i love this pan. Its quick and easy to set up and clean up is super easy too. Just what i was looking for in my camping gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears