Aftermarket Ecocoline headlights?

Village Idiot
I have CREE LED bulbs on my bike and they work great. I was looking to put some on my van. My problem is the headlight housing.

What's a good headlight housing to use? I haven't found a good 5x7 housing, so I was looking at these:

These are $109. Not a fan of the blue:

Pb7NkKUh.jpg

These are $99:

aIMb94Uh.jpg

Are there any better options out there? Or all they all just cheap China knockoffs?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Blue will get you a ticket here if you're lucky... your vehicle impounded if it's not your day.

I broke down and bought Hella 5x7 and couldn't be happier with the light pattern... relays or LED H4s are on the wish list. 14.8v would make them brighter. Haven't driven at night to know if brighter is needed.

Wrap Dude

I bought a pair of those lower housing's, and to get them adjusted, they don't sit parallel to the lower valance. Installed some LED Bulbs with them, and let's just say those left lane "poke alongs" get the hell out of the way with a quick flash of the High Beams...hehe.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I love my 5X7 Truck-lite LED headlights.

OMG Trucklight/Rigid make the Philips ones I passed on for $280 usd a pair look like a bargain.

$100 usd for Hella will do the job. With a diesel and a 215amp alternator, Halogen will do the job.

JPutnam

Observer
I got a set of the headlights in the top pic. but the LEDs are white and the casing is chrome instead of the black. Almost look stock on the van but work real well. I kept the stock turn signals.

IMd6Gpo.jpg

I just found them on google. they were like $84 or something.

Gtdad

Adventurer
OMG Trucklight/Rigid make the Philips ones I passed on for $280 usd a pair look like a bargain.

$100 usd for Hella will do the job. With a diesel and a 215amp alternator, Halogen will do the job.

One thing I noticed with HID and led headlights was snow build up during the winter. Not enough heat to keep the lens clear of snow and ice. Never happen with halogen.
I've run hid and leds in similar housings , but always keep some halogen bulbs in the van just in case I need to go low tech. On the road with leds or hid that you can't easily replace is troublesome to say the least.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I got a set of the headlights in the top pic. but the LEDs are white and the casing is chrome instead of the black. Almost look stock on the van but work real well. I kept the stock turn signals.

IMd6Gpo.jpg

I just found them on google. they were like $84 or something.

Some Autosol or car wax will make your stock turn lights look like new again... Look a bit fogged in the pic.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
So in the OPs photos, those are housings only? You still have to stuff them with some kind of bulb, correct?

philos

Explorer
I built some HID projectors using a generic 5x7 housing and some Amazonian retrofit projectors...
Excellent cutoff and visibility. I spent around $130-140 total including ballasts, bulbs, housings, wires, relays, etc.

0229ca348baf43ad3ba82c340430522f.jpg

1b22c3c8cf8ffe4020c079654b14cc2f.jpg

b1b294c184f6df6a516a9dd9e335f958.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

philos

Explorer
I just grabbed the cheapest 5x7 housings eBay had so they'd come apart easily after a short bake in the oven.
The highest rated 2.5" mini projectors on Amazon, and whatever bulbs/ballasts were in the recommended section right next to it.
My laptop is down, and I can't get into my purchase history from this device.
Honestly, it's pretty basic stuff. Worst part that isn't even tough is cutting the back of the housing to fit the projector, and gluing it up with epoxy. Find a plumbing cap at the box store to cover the hole you made to fit the projector, and you're set. I just copied one of the many tutorials floating around the interwebs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998