aftermarket gauge help.

selk78

Iv'e done a forum search and couldn't find what i'm looking for.
i'm setting up my truck i picked up the first of the year, plans for it are camping, offroading, extended traveling/camping, it's a 92 toyota pickup with a 3.0 v6, i'm happy with the motor thats in it but i want to keep an eye on the important stuff with some aftermarket gauges, but i don't know what would be the right one's to add, it has the the sr5 gauges, i want to keep the stock gauges and add other's, I was thinking fuel pressure, cylinder temp and maybe vacuum gauge for the manifold, any thought's or ideas would a big help and greatly appreciated.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
I don't know if you have an automatic transmission, but if so I would add a transmission temperature gauge.
I would also add a vacuum gauge. Every vehicle has it's sweet spot for fuel economy and that's my reasoning for adding one. To keep track of that sweet spot.
I might add an engine oil temperature too.

I really hate redundant gauges, and there is no point in having some gauges (like fuel pressure)

For whatever reason I didn't think of the oil temperature gauge when I ordered gauges just a couple days ago. I got a vac gauge, trans temp gauge, and a clock.

I haven't used the aftermarket versions yet, but I purchased the VDO gauges. I became familiar with them when I had BMW's. If VDO is good enough for the euro OEM's they are good enough for me.

jdholder

Explorer
I like Volts, Engine Oil Temp, and Trans Temp.

That's what I run on the Rover. Never had the need for Fuel Pressure. I used to run EGT when I had the diesel Excursion - just so I didn't burn up the motor.

Good luck!

eli

Observer
Gauge Help

Auto Meter might be a consideration . . . Oil Pressure, Water temp. and Volts and or amps. might be a safe bet . . . and that's just for the engine . . .

Good Luck

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I prefer lights, big and bright ones. Those catch your attention when you're tightly focused on driving, it is rare that a gauge does.

Gauge senders are also not as consistently accurate as light switches. Compare the cost of a automotive accessory gauge sender to the cost of an industrial transducer. There is a difference and it comes down to repeatability and accuracy. The industrial parts list those numbers. Good luck getting them from an accessory gauge mfg.

If an auto trans, then for sure have some way of monitoring it's fluid temperature. Do a serious search on where to put that sender. There are a lot of opinions on where the right place is, and they've all been posted before.

selk78

Thanks for all the great info:jumping:, I don't have an auto trans so that one's out for me, can you piggy back your stock temp gauge and an aftermarket temp gauge with the actual number readout???, i just don't want my factory gauge to be dead. i have space for 3 gauges so far i'm gunna go with fuel pressure, oil temp, and i would like to go with the temp but i am wondering if i can piggy back it with the stock one?

01tundra

Explorer
Ever considered just installing a Scangauge?

P2140103.jpg

corax

Explorer
I prefer lights, big and bright ones. Those catch your attention when you're tightly focused on driving, it is rare that a gauge does.

x2 - I have a red LED next to the SR5 oil pressure gauge and an orange LED next to the coolant temp gauge, both use sending units threaded into existing ports on the block. I only have one extra gauge - if you know what you're looking at, a vacuum gauge is a great diagnostic tool and can tell you a few other things about your engine.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
01Tundra its an OBD1 Truck and dose not work with a Scangauge.

I would honestly not bother, they will make you over paranoid and you will find your self watching them all the time. I had a car that I use to race with all the gauges you are talking about and I found I started spending all my time and effort watching the gauges. I would watch for any change and then if it was slightly the wrong way there HAD to be something wrong. I pulled them out after a season and wired them all into my stand along engine management system so if something happens the ECU would the car in limp mode. I found that much better than watching gauges looking for a change.

On my truck I have all the stock gauges and that's it, on a stock truck there is not reason to have them IMO. On my old 700hp car there was but I still got rid of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger