Aftermarket Gen 2 Brake Master Cylinder Options?

BayMonty

I've had the brake light on since I purchased the Montero in February. I've changed the cap and diaphragm, the float, replaced reservoir fluid, bled the brakes, etc. Nothing has helped. E-brake was also inspected and the contacts/sensor is fine. Don't know what else it could be so thinking about replacing the entire master cylinder. Rock Auto has several aftermarket brands at pretty good prices compared to OEM. Has anyone had a good experience with aftermarket master cylinders?

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Can you check the codes using the jumper method on a Gen 2? I'm not familiar with those as much, but it might actually tell you what's wrong vs just throwing parts at it. For example, on my Gen 3 my ABS lit up, and I figured it was the HBB (because they go bad) - well sure enough it was in poor shape, but it wasn't the fault that caused the light to turn on....

BayMonty

Can you check the codes using the jumper method on a Gen 2? I'm not familiar with those as much, but it might actually tell you what's wrong vs just throwing parts at it. For example, on my Gen 3 my ABS lit up, and I figured it was the HBB (because they go bad) - well sure enough it was in poor shape, but it wasn't the fault that caused the light to turn on....

I’ll have to look into this. Another member on here detailed the same problem. I took it to my mechanic and he said the sensor is most likely bad. The sensor has its own part number but no one in the country has it in stock.

plh

Explorer
I’ll have to look into this. Another member on here detailed the same problem. I took it to my mechanic and he said the sensor is most likely bad. The sensor has its own part number but no one in the country has it in stock.

part number?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
This is an incredibly simple sensor. Have you checked the connector yet? Spray it out with electronic cleaner.

RyanY

Adventurer
You have an electrical problem with what is actually a fairly simple circuit. As you've noted, the light is either turned on by the low brake fluid sensor or by the parking brake switch. Get out your FSM and start tracing down wiring so you know which one of those is causing the light to come on. Disconnecting both of them should turn the light off, so there's a good place to start your diagnostic work. Replacing your master cylinder is just throwing parts at the problem, and is an expensive and inefficient way to repair a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger