aftermarket neck sealing plug for civilian scepter and rotopax fuel containers

sjk99

Adventurer
If the title isn't clear enough. A delrin plug with viton "O" ring advertised to do a better job of sealing civilian fuel containers than the manufacturer's plug.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scepter-Super-G...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23052cc663

scepterdisk4.jpg

scepterdisk3.jpg

For future reference should the auction disappear the guy's eBay id is LBakeland or IBakeland (can't decide if it's an L or I.)

No connection with the guy.

Last edited:

elysium

Observer
So, are you giving this product a "plug"? :wings:

Kidding. Could not help myself.

Seriously though...have you tried it? Do you like it? Is there really an issue with rotopax leaking or is this more of a scepter issue.

FJLED

Adventurer
I've never had an issue with my rotopax leaking and thats even after I've filled them at low altitudes and traveled up to the mountains where they have expanded quite a bit.

I would assume it is more of a scepter

sjk99

Adventurer
a plug, ha ha, didn't think of that.

I have not tried it but I do have one of the 23.3L red plastic blitz containers and was going to measure the opening & email the guy to see if the plug would fit. I don't have a solid cap for it, just a fill spout so it's not ideal as-is.

In the discussions about various fuel containers here multiple people have commented that the civilian Gerry Can types are prone to leaking. Granted that may be related to transporting the containers on their sides to reduce the profile on roof mounts so if you transport the container upright then maybe the mfg cap is OK.

And yes, multiple people have said their Rotopax have not leaked but that's what the guy said it was for so if someone out there has the statistically improbable leaking Rotopax maybe this will help.

mudbutt

Explorer
And yes, multiple people have said their Rotopax have not leaked but that's what the guy said it was for so if someone out there has the statistically improbable leaking Rotopax maybe this will help.

Perhaps he meant the Kolpin's???

They look very similar and many think they are from the same company....

FJLED

Adventurer
Jason the owner of rotopax originally produced the gas packs for Koplin many years back. However, down the line the chose to go with a modified design which he had reservations against and in the end Koplin went with a different mfg for the packs.

After Koplin began having issues with their packs Jason began producing Rotopax which were based on his design. I do not believe Rotopax makes koplins packs today, from my understanding they are totally seperate companies with Rotopax having much more support throughout the industry since Koplins have been known to leak.

The above is based on what I have heard, but I just wanted to clarify.

End thread jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78