Air bags for expo trailer suspension?

tte30m3

Adventurer
I've been brainstorming about a custom trailer build for a while. I have on board air with front and rear hookup on my tow vehicle. I've been tossing around the idea of air bags with super light duty leaf springs on the trailer. It would always be adjustable and level.

Anyone done this on an expo trailer build?

Thanks!

Tow vehicle-

desert1.jpg

Michaelbestlynd

Do it! My Inka trailer has independent air bag A-Arm suspension. It has the ability to adjust compression to compensate for varying loads, adjust left to right bias, and then level at camp while connected to the tow vehicle (left/right and front/back).

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't be too afraid of bags but I wouldn't couple them with wimpy leaf springs. Your springs should be capable of the rated load on their own, with bags doing nothing more than leveling. If you make the bags the load carrier and pop one you're down on the bump stops. Leaves don't have the best ride, but if you are planning on running the unbeaten path, dead stupid simple and reliable is the name of the game and you don't get much more reliable or simple than a leaf spring setup.

BCzuk

Observer
I haven't had a chance to start my build thread yet but I am currently making a trailer using independent suspension and air bags. I like the idea of having adjustable bags but something that is also really strong

Awesome 40 :Wow1:

tte30m3

Adventurer
I haven't had a chance to start my build thread yet but I am currently making a trailer using independent suspension and air bags. I like the idea of having adjustable bags but something that is also really strong

Thank you for the input! Looks like an awesome build in the making! Are those universal air bags? Or did you source them off something specific?

Thanks!

BCzuk

Observer
These are something that a friend had sitting in the garage and were donated to the build. I'll take a look for a part number for you

Brettski

Observer

This looks like a great setup. Curious though: how 'bouncy' will this be on say, washboard? Does a pure airbag setup need shocks of some sort?
Also, did you fab the hinges or buy those?

Also, also...awesome FJ

Chili

Explorer
I have a truck bed trailer with a 3500lb trailer axle and leaf springs that I am thinking about adding bags to. But primarily because of the drop in height when loaded, to prevent a little rubbing I have. I figured some helper bags would be perfect for that.

BCzuk

Observer
This looks like a great setup. Curious though: how 'bouncy' will this be on say, washboard? Does a pure airbag setup need shocks of some sort?
Also, did you fab the hinges or buy those?

Also, also...awesome FJ

It will need shocks, I just need to sort out what length I need. Mounts are rubber suspension bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998