Air Bags instead of Coil Springs

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking about getting rid of my coil springs in favor of air bags.

i'm thinking of using something like firestone airbags similar to a semi.

i already have an on-board compressor so filling them will not be an issue.

i'm going to have the air bags connected together through a hose so when the suspension flexes it send the air to the air bag with the least amount of pressure on it.

do you guys think its alright for expedition travel. i'll keep a spare air bag in the jeep just in case something happens.

i really like the idea for an adjustable suspension. i can make it as firm or soft as i need depending on what kind of load i am carrying.

KG6BWS

Explorer
I agree. My old welding rig was leaf sprung with air bags. So heavy that when one of my lines blew out, the springs held it up just enough to get home. If I it had been bags only, I would have been in trouble.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The largest problem with airbags is unloading on descents and ascents... A friend had a build FJ40 on airbags around 2000 and called it 'downright dangerous.' This is what he always relayed to me...

alosix

Expedition Leader
I've been running the AiRock kit on my TJ since about 2002.

I wouldn't hesitate to put it on another vehicle, its been one of the things that's helped my TJ be a real jack of all trades for me.

The firestone airbags are pretty darn hard to kill. I've had to replace 2 right front ones in the 100k I have on my bags. The first was due to corrosion on a fitting (1st gen bag mount design and MD road salt) The second was because of an installation error on my part. I didn't get the bag fully bolted down, it was taking the weight of the Jeep on the threaded rod and eventually tore the bag. I drove home from Hollister Hills that day on the front bump stops :).

I'd probably carry a spare bag, but you'll likely never need it.

I wouldn't worry about cross linking the bags as they will flex well enough on their own.

The only 'backup' stuff I normally have with me is a few things to mend lines (have only needed it after a plasma cutting session on the Jeep) , plug up the manifold if I need to, and a set of schrader valves that pop onto the lines so I can fill the bags if the valve setup or computer go nuts.

The only real issue lately is availability of the firestone bags. They moved their factory to Argentina and haven't gotten it up and running since the last time I checked.

If you need any help with the project or want to toss ideas around feel free to contact me (jpower2@gmail.com). My TJ has been through a few iterations, we did a fully linked and bagged XJ, I once did part of a Dodge Nitro with 'West Coast Customs' and I passed out and slept on the ORO office couch once :)

If you're working with the Commander, the hardest part might be doing the front end.

Last edited:

alosix

Expedition Leader
The largest problem with airbags is unloading on descents and ascents... A friend had a build FJ40 on airbags around 2000 and called it 'downright dangerous.' This is what he always relayed to me...

Got any info on this FJ? I'd wonder if the FJ wouldn't have similar issues on straight coils. I've never had an experience like that with my TJ.

If anything they have less of an 'instant flip' tendency than coils do on a TJ.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
It might have been an issue possibly with the suspension geometry as it was custom. But the way it was explained to me is coil or leaf springs have resistance both directions whereas bags only have it in one direction until the length of the bag is maxed out. It always made sense to me...

alosix

Expedition Leader
It might have been an issue possibly with the suspension geometry as it was custom. But the way it was explained to me is coil or leaf springs have resistance both directions whereas bags only have it in one direction until the length of the bag is maxed out. It always made sense to me...

Yeah, that does make sense. I know that there's been a few scary moments with AiRock on 4 link rear ends, to the point that Steve will really try and talk you out of the kit for those. They tend to transition weight way to fast in a turn and break the rear of the Jeep loose.

Mine has always been a little picky about shocks. Its currently running QA1 2.0" rebuildable shocks valved for the bags. Works real well.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
thats what i'm looking to do. i think it would be pretty stable with the stock control arm set-up. i've been looking at airbags.

Jager

I like the option of having as much lift as you need at the moment, depends on the bag of course. I'll probably never put a lift kit on my rig but it runs through my mind occaisionaly.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I like the option of having as much lift as you need at the moment, depends on the bag of course. I'll probably never put a lift kit on my rig but it runs through my mind occaisionaly.
This conjures up thoughts of a DS-19's suspension system. oey!!!!!

Cross-linked air springs have the potential to go really bad on a side-hill.

timh

Explorer
No personal experience but I have heard that when you link airbags they won't support side to side roll. Basically when you lean a little one way or the other the bag simply pushes air out of the downside and into the upside with nothing to limit the air transfer. If this is the case I can see where it could become very dangerous.

geeze

DO you have the firestone number that ORO uses? never been able to find that info

I've been running the AiRock kit on my TJ since about 2002.

I wouldn't hesitate to put it on another vehicle, its been one of the things that's helped my TJ be a real jack of all trades for me.

The firestone airbags are pretty darn hard to kill. I've had to replace 2 right front ones in the 100k I have on my bags. The first was due to corrosion on a fitting (1st gen bag mount design and MD road salt) The second was because of an installation error on my part. I didn't get the bag fully bolted down, it was taking the weight of the Jeep on the threaded rod and eventually tore the bag. I drove home from Hollister Hills that day on the front bump stops :).

I'd probably carry a spare bag, but you'll likely never need it.

I wouldn't worry about cross linking the bags as they will flex well enough on their own.

The only 'backup' stuff I normally have with me is a few things to mend lines (have only needed it after a plasma cutting session on the Jeep) , plug up the manifold if I need to, and a set of schrader valves that pop onto the lines so I can fill the bags if the valve setup or computer go nuts.

The only real issue lately is availability of the firestone bags. They moved their factory to Argentina and haven't gotten it up and running since the last time I checked.

If you need any help with the project or want to toss ideas around feel free to contact me (jpower2@gmail.com). My TJ has been through a few iterations, we did a fully linked and bagged XJ, I once did part of a Dodge Nitro with 'West Coast Customs' and I passed out and slept on the ORO office couch once :)

If you're working with the Commander, the hardest part might be doing the front end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger