Air Card Which One?

Kilroy

Adventurer
Anyone have good or bad on which air card to purchase. Been looking at the big three; Verizon, AT&T, Sprint. Leaning toward Verizon, but thought I'd test the consensus here first.
Thanks

arcteryx

Adventurer
Kilroy said:
Anyone have good or bad on which air card to purchase. Been looking at the big three; Verizon, AT&T, Sprint. Leaning toward Verizon, but thought I'd test the consensus here first.
Thanks

Depending on who is paying for it, none of the above. If it's your company, then I'll let others post.

If it's your dime, get a smartphone if you dont have one and tether it. Apple just announced they are going to support tethering. Look here and see what is supported. http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php You may get away with paying for a data option for much less than a dedicated card.

Scott Brady

Founder
I use the Verizon card, due to the coverage area.

I would recommend getting an Air Card from a carrier other than your cell phone. The logic is that when my ATT iPhone does not work, my Verizon air card might, and vice-versa.

PCRover

Adventurer
Verizon has the best rural coverage of all the carriers I have tried in Northern CA. A lot depends on where you plan on using it so check your local service providers for coverage in the areas you want it. I feel there is not one carrier that is universally better then an other. It all depends on your location and service needs.

6Pins

Adventurer
I'd think that Verizon would be your best bet, especially once the Alltell merger gets completed.

GreenToys

Observer
My wife use the Verizon USB type with her company issued Mac and she's happy with it, coverage service-wise. And prior to that, they have PCs with Verizon PCMCIA type cards and never had a problem with it as well. Location, we are in the N.E. and tried it all the way to FLA. Both are capable of ext. antennas and the USB type has a built-in SD card reader as well, very neat if you want to view your camera's photos. Man, I wish I work for that company! LOL:)

rambrush

Adventurer
2nd the vote for a smart phone and go with wmwifirouter and set up wireless network. works great for me.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I have Sprint and so far I'm happy with the card and the coverage. The customer service leaves a lot to be desired. If you can afford Verizon, get that. If not, go with Sprint and never look back.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Verizon!!! during hurricane conditions it worked just fine and the 11 days after with no line power, and poor cell conditions ( due to towers being down). we had interwebnets the whole time. I have the usb dongle type.

Dave

Explorer
I switched my fleet of cop cars to Verizon cards (from Sprint) earlier this year and could not be happier. Granted, the usage is pretty much limited to our municipality, but we are seeing better throughput and less dropped connections with Verizon compared to Sprint. Customer Service has been much better on Verizon too.

The smart phone tether option is worth exploring. I have that option enabled on my BlackBerry (a $30 up charge on Verizon for a 5 GB monthly limit) and have it used a few times.. Getting real Internet access at our hunting cabin in the swamps was something none of us expected to work, but it worked fine with the tethered Berry. If I was using it a lot (daily), I would probably opt to go with a dedicated card. Even though there is a pretty hefty up charge tethering, it's not something I have to have on my plan for the whole year. I will keep it during hunting season, but then cancel it. When it's vacation time, I'll likely add it back to the plan so I don't have to rely on wifi hot spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998