Air Down Gear Up Truck Camper Drawer System

Air Down Gear Up

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce the Air Down Gear Up drawer system for full-size trucks with a camper shell! I am one of the owners of Air Down Gear Up and we specialize in premium storage, sleeping and cooking systems for vehicles. We are excited to be jumping into the world of trucks and bringing our values of premium products into this space.

We recently completed an install on a Ram 1500 with a Super Pacific X1 camper and wanted to share our results.

Our truck system consists of a 'galley' style drawer system, with a drawer on each side and open space in the middle. This provides bench-style seating while protected from the elements inside the shell with or without the pop-up opened. The drawers are 48inches long and feature 600-pound rated lock-in/lock-out slides for easy, smooth access to all your gear. The bench tops feature magnetic hatches to allow access to gear from inside the enclosure with the drawers closed, perfect for inclement weather. The drawers also accept our slide out tables, providing additional work surfaces. These are great for things like cooking, gear prep, etc. Keyed drawer locks can be included as well.

For longer bed sizes, the drawers are paired with a shelf along the cab-wall to create additional flexible storage underneath. We provided an additonal access hatch on this shelf as well, which this particular customer is using for access to a large (5kWh!) battery. This is also a great place for thing like water systems, toilet storage and anything else that needs a home! For shorter beds, the idea is to simply exclude the shelf and utilize the drawers only.

We added an accessory rail over the drawers as well. This serves a few purposes; a structural step for getting into the sleeper, a mounting point for anything you'd like and minimalist back support while seated. The rail has multiple open T-slot tracks, making it very simple to rigidly mount to. For this customer, we created a custom hose mount for a diesel heater so we can route warm air into the camper. We also hung a few canvas bags, which allow for a great place to store small items that would otherwise get lost in the shuffle.

As with all of our systems, we utilize an all-aluminum frame and all metal-metal machine fasteners throughout. Absolutely no wood screws anywhere in our design. Our intent is for our system to outlast your vehicle, so we very intentionally over-engineer everything we can. Our systems rest on an aluminum frame, with an elevated HDPE floor. We do NOT utilize a full floor plate, as that adds weight and traps moisture.

SO! what else would you like to know or see?? We will also be including a kitchen in place of one of the drawers with a sink, stove and work surface. We intend to roll this out to as many trucks as possible, just minor variations in anchoring/size.

We would definitely enjoy feedback about what everyone thinks!

airdowngearup.com/

Attachments

• 20231129_132008.jpg
    20231129_132008.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 1000004967.jpg
    1000004967.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 1000004985.jpg
    1000004985.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20231129_120238.jpg
    20231129_120238.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 100
  • 20231129_141228.jpg
    20231129_141228.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 94
  • 20231129_132431.jpg
    20231129_132431.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 97

Spencer for Hire

Where are these truck camper setups on your website? Why are they so low on the popup campers? They appear to be built for truck caps. The other companies build them taller for proper sitting.

Air Down Gear Up

Where are these truck camper setups on your website? Why are they so low on the popup campers? They appear to be built for truck caps. The other companies build them taller for proper sitting.
We haven't posted this on the website just yet. Ironing out a few small administrative details and then we'll get that online! We always like to introduce new products to the enthusiast/forum crowd to get everyone's feedback!

As for the height, we spent a fair amount of time deliberating this, and wanted a system that was comfortable enough for sitting while keeping your head below the roofline. This particular camper was the Super Pacific X1, which has a 'roof' inside the vehicle. We wanted to be able to sit on the benches and access gear without having to deploy the sleeper top, with the idea being a quick lunch in bad weather.

We will be releasing more and more details on this, including a detailed walk around of the system. Here's a screen shot from that video showing what it looks like to sit on the bench with the super pacific X1. As you can see, if you went any higher at all there wouldn't be enough room. The portion of the roof above me head in this is rigid, and always there. I find the seating position to be comfortable.

Capture.PNG

Air Down Gear Up

Looks nice. What is the cost and weight of this system?
Thanks for the kind words! Cost is TBD (still finalizing a few things) but as shown in these pictures this will be in the $5k-$7k range. Total weight for this system is right around 200pounds.

ncflyer

Good looking set up. Truck campers opens up a big markert. However you may want to take a look at the video...start around the 2 min mark.

That rigid piece you mentioned isn't always there. Just above the light at the rear window of that build is the lip between the 2 sections. The section above your head is designed to slide over the front section and open up the whole back end of the truck to be able to stand up. For the SP, you fold the deflated mattress over fwd and push the rear slider over the front Surprised the owner didn't show you as long as you likely had the truck. That's probably the reason for the height question as most truck campers have this same feature in some fashion or another. Since GG is the general standard/reference, those are higher as I"m sure you're aware. Always good to have options and shouldn't be too much of an issue to set something on top and sit higher. Would seem better being lower if you wanted to use it as a stealth sleeper.

Looking fwd to the video.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

I'll chime in with some added context here. I'm Andy - co-Founder and designer for ADGU. I worked with the owner extensively on the exact height of the seating area and it was actually a core foundation of the build.

This customer had a very specific max height allowed for this build and it was based on the situation where the tent is closed and he just wants to hang out in the back. He wanted a usable seat all the time. Placing the seat surface higher would mean that it's non-usable unless the ceiling pieces are moved/shuffled out of the way. Slightly more similar to a dining chair at home, but usable less often. A much more common use case for him seemed to be just escaping to the bed for a while when the tent may or may not be open, let alone the ceiling tiles also shuffled out of the way.

During the design we sat in this an awful lot. It never occurred to me that it was too low for comfy seating, but perhaps both he and I are just squatters, haha. I thought it was just right.

Dave in AZ

I'll chime in with some added context here. I'm Andy - co-Founder and designer for ADGU. I worked with the owner extensively on the exact height of the seating area and it was actually a core foundation of the build.

This customer had a very specific max height allowed for this build and it was based on the situation where the tent is closed and he just wants to hang out in the back. He wanted a usable seat all the time. Placing the seat surface higher would mean that it's non-usable unless the ceiling pieces are moved/shuffled out of the way. Slightly more similar to a dining chair at home, but usable less often. A much more common use case for him seemed to be just escaping to the bed for a while when the tent may or may not be open, let alone the ceiling tiles also shuffled out of the way.

During the design we sat in this an awful lot. It never occurred to me that it was too low for comfy seating, but perhaps both he and I are just squatters, haha. I thought it was just right.
Here is some info for you, I think my goal is same as tours was, but my mandatory height is more... you look pretty bent over in that pic. I am reposting this from another forum where we discused seat height with camper tops closed.

The closed and open internal height varies from popup camper and truck to truck. However all have plenty height when open, the issue is getting in there and using camper with top down. Like maybe a quick break to cook and eat and you don't want to pop top, or some stealth camping.

The 3rd gen Tacoma is one of the least height, due to its low bed rail of 19 to 20" only. Because of this, the type of storage containers or seats you use must be considered if you want to sit inside with top down in a Tacoma. Here are my calculations and some thoughts.

Height issues: I am 5ft10in, or 70in, normal build, and my sitting height is 37" above seat for head clearance. With top down, Tune has 30.6 internal height above bedrails for Tacoma, and rails are only 20" tall, 19 if you have a bedmatt or thin plywood floor. So total height available is 50.6", minus 37" sitting height equals 14" is max seat height to use with top down.

A 5 gal bucket is 14.5" tall, so would work with head brushing ceiling, and is an OK seat height. Seats for closed topper use likely need to be shorter than 5 gal bucket. Walmart sells a SQUARE 5 gal bucket container that is shorter, packs better in limited space than round, and works well as a seat. Rail edges are 19 to 20" high, so any shelf you make at bed rail height using tune t tracks, or tacoma rail system, will be 21" to 18" above floor, so all your storage containers need to fit under that.. Storage containers. Have purchased some of coorrect height and strength to use for seats, 14.5" 5gal bucket height or less.

So far the square walmart 5gal containers look the best to me.

suprarx7nut

Here is some info for you, I think my goal is same as tours was, but my mandatory height is more... you look pretty bent over in that pic. I am reposting this from another forum where we discused seat height with camper tops closed.

The closed and open internal height varies from popup camper and truck to truck. However all have plenty height when open, the issue is getting in there and using camper with top down. Like maybe a quick break to cook and eat and you don't want to pop top, or some stealth camping.

The 3rd gen Tacoma is one of the least height, due to its low bed rail of 19 to 20" only. Because of this, the type of storage containers or seats you use must be considered if you want to sit inside with top down in a Tacoma. Here are my calculations and some thoughts.

Height issues: I am 5ft10in, or 70in, normal build, and my sitting height is 37" above seat for head clearance. With top down, Tune has 30.6 internal height above bedrails for Tacoma, and rails are only 20" tall, 19 if you have a bedmatt or thin plywood floor. So total height available is 50.6", minus 37" sitting height equals 14" is max seat height to use with top down.

A 5 gal bucket is 14.5" tall, so would work with head brushing ceiling, and is an OK seat height. Seats for closed topper use likely need to be shorter than 5 gal bucket. Walmart sells a SQUARE 5 gal bucket container that is shorter, packs better in limited space than round, and works well as a seat. Rail edges are 19 to 20" high, so any shelf you make at bed rail height using tune t tracks, or tacoma rail system, will be 21" to 18" above floor, so all your storage containers need to fit under that.. Storage containers. Have purchased some of coorrect height and strength to use for seats, 14.5" 5gal bucket height or less.

Thanks. We landed at 13.5" so very similar to that bucket example. As a 5'10" person, I could hit the cap of my head on the ceiling only if I sat up unusually upright. In a normal sitting position it cleared pretty well.

Air Down Gear Up

Good looking set up. Truck campers opens up a big markert. However you may want to take a look at the video...start around the 2 min mark.

That rigid piece you mentioned isn't always there. Just above the light at the rear window of that build is the lip between the 2 sections. The section above your head is designed to slide over the front section and open up the whole back end of the truck to be able to stand up. For the SP, you fold the deflated mattress over fwd and push the rear slider over the front Surprised the owner didn't show you as long as you likely had the truck. That's probably the reason for the height question as most truck campers have this same feature in some fashion or another. Since GG is the general standard/reference, those are higher as I"m sure you're aware. Always good to have options and shouldn't be too much of an issue to set something on top and sit higher. Would seem better being lower if you wanted to use it as a stealth sleeper.

Looking fwd to the video.
Thanks for the feedback! I think Andy was able to answer our approach to all this. We definitely appreciate this kind of feedback! You guys are the experts in this field so we are trying to absorb as much as possible.

Air Down Gear Up

Well that's all great to hear, like Andy was saying that lines up well with the dimensions that we settled on, with all of those considerations in mind.

Spencer for Hire

We haven't posted this on the website just yet. Ironing out a few small administrative details and then we'll get that online! We always like to introduce new products to the enthusiast/forum crowd to get everyone's feedback!

As for the height, we spent a fair amount of time deliberating this, and wanted a system that was comfortable enough for sitting while keeping your head below the roofline. This particular camper was the Super Pacific X1, which has a 'roof' inside the vehicle. We wanted to be able to sit on the benches and access gear without having to deploy the sleeper top, with the idea being a quick lunch in bad weather.

We will be releasing more and more details on this, including a detailed walk around of the system. Here's a screen shot from that video showing what it looks like to sit on the bench with the super pacific X1. As you can see, if you went any higher at all there wouldn't be enough room. The portion of the roof above me head in this is rigid, and always there. I find the seating position to be comfortable.

View attachment 808686
Your system seems better suited for folks with a cap or an suv. You look like you are sitting on a squatty potty. It looks very uncomfortable. The product looks very nice otherwise.

Last edited:

Air Down Gear Up

Your system seems better suited for folks with a cap or an suv. You look like you are sitting on a squatty potty. It looks very uncomfortable. The product looks very nice otherwise.
Understood you think it's too low, thanks for the feedback. Not everyone wants to have to deploy the sleeper everytime they want to be inside the shell.

Air Down Gear Up

One of our favorite features is the slide out table under the drawer. It seems to us there is no such thing as too much work surface, so by adding the slide out table under the drawer you have a quick deploying table that's always ready to go.

This is constructed from an aluminum frame and utilizes a Richlite surface, which is both heat and cut resistant. This is great for prepping meals, gear and anything else. The Richlite is easily cleaned and can be disinfected with simple wipes, making clean up easy.

This table is incorporated into the drawer, is self supporting when deployed and tucks cleanly out of the way when not needed.

Attachments

• 20231129_132316.jpg
    20231129_132316.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20231129_132326.jpg
    20231129_132326.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20231129_132400.jpg
    20231129_132400.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads