Airflow snorkel install - 2006 Dode Power Wagon

crismateski

American Adventurist
I got an airflow snorkel for Christmas, and installed it on Friday. I was rather nervous about doing the install. Looking at the instructions it did not look to difficult, but the idea of drilling a 4" hole in the fender really made me nervous. Well, it all went well, and the hardest part was pulling the trigger on the drill. It took me a little over 4.5 hours to do, but now that I have done it I think it could go much faster. I just took my time and made sure I had it right.

This is the template cut out and laying on my living room floor
file.jpg

One last shot with the fender and stock intake still intact
file-1.jpg

Template taped to the fender
file-2.jpg

Drilling the 1/4" pilot holes, 6 in all
file-3.jpg

This is where it got a pit scary
file-4.jpg

It came out pretty good, I did have to file it a bit to clean it up, but the instructions said I would need to
file-5.jpg

All of the holes except for the A-pillar drilled
file-6.jpg

a quick test fit, the instructions tell you to open up the top two holes larger, I tried to get away with leaving them smaller, but it bound up a bit and did not sit flat.
file-7.jpg

fitting the airbox with the new fitting and hose. I did not assemble it the way the instructions said. The instructions tell you to put the fitting on the box, put it in place, put the snorkel on, put the elbow on the snorkel and then try to fit the flex hose between the two. What I did was take the bracket that holds the air box off and put the fitting and hose on the airbox. With the bracket off I was able to put the airbox, fitting and hose in place all in one piece, bend the hose down through the wheel well, put on the elbow fitting, then slip the bracket up through the wheel well and bolt it all down. I then put the snorkel on and snapped the elbow into place on the bottom of the snorkel
file-8.jpg

file-13.jpg

the rest are a few shots of it finished

file-9.jpg

file-10.jpg

file-12.jpg

file-12.jpg

btw, I know the truck is dirty, and scratched, but I think that is how a power wagon is meant to be.

xdbx

Adventurer
Thats so cool! I've got a soft spot for snorkels.

Any comments on engine performance, acoustics, or mileage following installation?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I did mine last year, in similar fashion as you did, which made more sense quite honestly- a little more snorkle eye candy:

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 108

TaderzNgravy

I really like the bottom piece, but man does that top kill it for me. The time they must have spent molding it to fit flush to the fender and a-pillar then sticking the top piece on like an afterthought with the hose clamp.

Just my opinion. Still a very cool mod, but where are the pics of you in 4' of water?

crismateski

American Adventurist
Thats so cool! I've got a soft spot for snorkels.

Any comments on engine performance, acoustics, or mileage following installation?

I only have about 40 miles on it since the installation, so it is too early to say mileage, but I should have another 500 on it by next weekend, so I will let you know. As far as performance and noise, it does not seem any different. I expected to have a little more noise, but as long as the moon roof is closed there is no additional noise. With the roof open, there is a touch more wind noise, but nothing bad.

Cris

jasonL_031

Adventurer
did mine last year as well why did i get rid of that truck :( damn i miss my old 07 power wagon worst mistake of 2011

SquareLJ

Observer
I really like the bottom piece, but man does that top kill it for me. The time they must have spent molding it to fit flush to the fender and a-pillar then sticking the top piece on like an afterthought with the hose clamp.

Just my opinion. Still a very cool mod, but where are the pics of you in 4' of water?

A lot of snorkels use a hose clamp. My ARB has one, though, it is a black one that makes it harder to notice. Just my .01 peso.

crismateski

American Adventurist
Black would be nice, I want to try and find a black one in the right size and swap it out. I may end up just spray painting the clamp, but dont want to gum it up. Overall, it seems to be of good build quality, the instructions were easy to follow.

I am also looking at the pre filter for it http://airflowvector.com/details.php?id=91

anyone have any experience with the prefilter? It is not much money, but I am not sure how restrictive it is. It looks like it is pretty easy to take in and out, so I was thinking I could pick one up and just drop it in on trail days to help with the dust.

ExpoMike

Must be nice to be able to buy an off the shelf snorkle for a Ram. Us 2nd Gen Ram guys get no love. :(

Nice work.

crismateski

American Adventurist
I have not gotten to take it too deep yet, not much water in CA this year, but my air filter sure stays cleaner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998