airing down for sand

Ride1st

We are headed to the Outer Banks next week. Taking kayaks with us and will probably be driving on sand roads / beaches. This is all new to me. We're driving a Chevy Express 1 ton Quigley 4x4. Normally run 75 rear and 50 front when we tow our Airstream. How much should I air down for driving on sand? Still running stock tires and rims 245/75-16 Any other suggestions or pointers?IMG_0927.jpg

jblaze5779

Observer
I put 20lbs in mine for driving on the beach. I have a tire deflator that removes the valve stem rather than standing there like a knucklehead with a regular deflator. I got it on amazon. Really makes airing down a much easier job.

hogasm

Observer
If those tires are a load range D or E then go to 15-18lbs in Hatteras....20-22lbs in Carova where the beach is harder
You can go higher but why put the strain on your drive train for 20 seconds of air

My air deflator is a set of valve stem extensions where I pushed the ball in deep and drilled a 1/8" hole and inserted a sewing needle to hold the ball down. Clipped the end close so the tire gauge will still read.
I deflate all 4 at the same time. Cost $1.99 at Wall Mart

Ride1st

Thanks. That is lower than what I would have thought. For next week I'll be the knucklehead deflating manually. I through a 12 volt compressor in the van to air back up. That will probably take longer than airing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hogasm

Observer
If you are going to Buxton ie "The Point" you can fill up at Red Drum Tackle...free air it won't kill your tires to drive the mile to fill them up
Hatteras Inlet....Teach's Lair Marina
Carova ...A-1 towing...he has a tip jar for air

chet

island Explorer
if you go the removing valve stems route (what I do) make sure you have some spare stems in the glove box! suckers drop out of your fingers easy! in the sand would be an instant loss.

Umbrarian

Observer
I did not air down for Corolla, it is hard packed sand all the way to VA line.

Be careful to not air down too much and blow a bead. Easier to get a tug out of sand than fix a blown bead. Have a strap.

Ride1st

Thanks again for all the advice. If we manage to get stuck I will be sure to post a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
On flat ground measure your front and rear sidewall height (to the rim). Air down until the sidewall is 25% shorter. Record the pressures for front and rear. This is ideal for most off road driving. For deep sand you can go lower, but too low and you can unseat a bead without beadlocks. Very light vehicles with wide tires may find they need less than 15 psi to get the reduction, which is generally too low to keep the bead seated if you get aggressive.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I have aired down to 10 psi at the deepest sands of Baja. Rig is 22ft 11000# RV with 245/70/19.5 dually with front and rear lockers. Just make sure you have a working onboard air compressor.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
On flat ground measure your front and rear sidewall height (to the rim). Air down until the sidewall is 25% shorter. Record the pressures for front and rear. This is ideal for most off road driving. For deep sand you can go lower, but too low and you can unseat a bead without beadlocks. Very light vehicles with wide tires may find they need less than 15 psi to get the reduction, which is generally too low to keep the bead seated if you get aggressive.

I'd add to the above. Double the length of the longitudinal patch covered by the tire on flat ground. If at full normal inflation the length is 4 inches, deflate the tire until the length is 8 inches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle