Airlift 1000: 3rd gen 4Runner tip (For those with OME 861s) airlift part # 60743

99Yota

Observer
Thought I would share an airbag install tip: Only cut 1 section from the inner jounce spacer if you have:

- OME 861 rear coils
- Toytec 3" rear bumpstop spacers
- Good bit of weight which isn't always in the vehicle
- Want to regain lost lift

Despite running OME 861s, the combination of weight and bumpstop spacers meant that I had less uptravel than desired. Cutting just 1 section of the jounce meant that the airbag consumed all the space between the bottom coil perch and the remaining jounce. See Type 3 (my scenario)

InkedCapture2_LI.jpg
image from Airlift install instructions

By cutting just 1 section, I am able to add air to maintain unloaded height (~24" hub to fender)
20180127_170201.jpg

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 7

99Yota

Observer
Having had an opportunity to test out the suspension for over 300 miles of dirt roads + obstacles which involved flexing the rear suspension, I have the following comments/ recommendations for those doing this mod;

Allow for additional airline leaving the bag. When the suspension droops, the bag either stays in place or is 'pulled' upwards which disconnects the airline. The fix involves unloading the suspension and using long nosed pliers to reconnect the tubing to the barbed fitting. I had one airbag pull away from the tubing. I addressed this by placing the zip tie closer to the T fitting.

Worth noting is that by cutting a smaller portion of the factory jounce cone, and *not* using an airbag spacer to make up the difference (as described above), you only have a 2" diameter surface pressing against the much larger diameter of the airbag vs the spacer which contacts the entire airbag surface. The result is a more progressive increase in load handling.

With 17 psi in the bags, I was able to maintain unloaded vehicle height with a full camp load + observe full suspension articulation and touch the bump stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12