Aisin Water Pump / Timing Belt Kit - Am I losing my mind?

evomaki

Observer
Guys,

Went to install the new water pump part of my timing belt kit (Aisin TKM 005) for my 2000 gen 2.5 and it does not fit. Should be the right part per Rock Auto where I ordered it. Should be the right kit per Aisin's website too. Both say TKM 005. The instructions in the kit say the kit is for a 2001 to 2003 3.5L and a 2003 to 2006 3.8L. I am completely baffled by this. Anyone run into this before? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 16

TheMole

Adventurer
Most likely a mistake on their part. If you look up the individual Aisin waterpump part numbers on rockauto there is a difference between the gen 2.5 and gen 3. Looks like a bad on their end so you should be able to return it to them without any shipping fees.

freewayross

Adventurer
Rock auto is known for doing that, a friend of mine ordered gaskets for his gen 3 and they sent wrong parts..... looked completely different.

plh

Explorer
Assuming the WP on the bottom is from your current engine, there may have been a mid model year engineering change that changed the mounting pattern.

Scanning thru the photos on RA, looks like they show both styles for the 2000MY depending on supplier of the pump.

Looks like its time to grab ASA from Mitsubishilinks.com and check the Mits part number associated to your vin, and then google search to cross reference.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
they likely grabbed the wrong ****. call them and tell them the water pump you were supposed to get is:
AISIN WPM035 {#1300A012, MD973162, MD978741, MD979169} Engine w Housing; Includes Housing, Gasket, O-Ring

evomaki

Observer
Thanks for the help guys. RA is being helpful in the researching. I think I will do some copy paste action out of IncorpoRatedX's reply and help them along.

freewayross

Adventurer
FYI - I believe in 2000 they also started making Gen 3. So when you say yours is a 2000 year model....... you may end up with Gen 3 parts. I've had this happen to me when buying rotors for my truck. So I always say mine is a 99 model for any parts.

Skidoo03

Just went through the same thing, Rock Auto sent the same kit to me for my 99. Ended up ordering from my nearest dealer, at least that way I"ll have OE.

jlocster

Explorer
FYI - I believe in 2000 they also started making Gen 3. So when you say yours is a 2000 year model....... you may end up with Gen 3 parts. I've had this happen to me when buying rotors for my truck. So I always say mine is a 99 model for any parts.

Exactly this. Early production 2000 was Gen 2.5, late 2000 production was Gen 3, it was a transition year. Always order parts for your 2000 Gen 2.5 as a model year 1998 or 1999 to make sure the parts you receive are Gen 2.5.

Last edited:

Skidoo03

That's what I'll plan on doing in the future now but I was hoping with mine being a 99 I wouldn't run into issues but it seems to me like it's also a part number issue with Austin/Rock Auto but regardless I've got the right parts on the way now so not too big of a deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger