AK to FL 6,000 miles

doug1980

Well we started our long journey on July 6th. We left Anchorage at 3pm and made it to Tok, AK around 9:30. We stayed at Gateway RV Park for the night. The roads were horrible lots of frost heaves and too much construction, but we made it.

8d1f2cce.jpg

Day 2 we drove to Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory. Left Tok around 9am and arrived at Hi Country RV Park at 6pm. We met 2 couples from Australia who invited us over for a night cap. Really nice people glad we got to meet them.

87429ef7.jpg

The Aussies
8575e80a.jpg

Day 3 we left Whitehorse at 9am and arrived at Muncho Lake around 5pm. We had our Honeymoon there in 2008 and couldn't wait to go back. This time it was the worst night ever. My son wouldn't sleep, the dog barked at every noise and the bed was hard as a rock. Should have slept in the camper. We did see some wildlife though. 2 black bears and 8 bison.

aae748df.jpg

ffed589d.jpg

bca8b823.jpg

Day 4 we made it to Dawson Creek still in B.C. We seen another black bear today along with dozens of dall sheep and even a caribou. We drove about 9 hours today and so far all is good. The A/C on the camper got rained on and then leaked in the camper. Come to find out there was no hole for the condensation to drain and that's why it leaked. Made a few holes and had no more issues. Everything worked and no issues. Little Travis got restless often and the wife, being pregnant needed to stop regularly, but we still made good time.

8bddd5e5.jpg

Well day 5 we left Dawson Creek and headed to Jasper/Banff NP. We saw 3 deer and 2 elk while there. Instead of camping there we pushed on and reached Great Falls Montana at 4am. It was a 19 hour drive that nearly killed us.

37fcca0b.jpg

Day 6 was supposed to be an easy day, but our neighbors from Alaska just happened to be visiting family in Idaho and invited us to stay there. So we drove to Idaho Falls and stayed in their driveway.

ec1efbb4.jpg

Talk about a small world.

Day 7 we made it to Moab Utah. We camped tere for a few days and checked out Arches NP and Canyonlands. Camped at Riverside Oasis Campground. Restocked and resupplied.

Day 8 Just relaxed in the camper.

2d086aac.jpg

7e497213.jpg

The views from the campground.

e891d218.jpg

8bfcaf23.jpg

The Colorado River behind our site.

65708537.jpg

The dog hated his first thunderstorm. It was so windy it almost ripped the neighbors awning off his camper. They weren't here so I went out in the pouring rain to save it. That's my good deed for the day.

Last edited:

doug1980

Day 9 we decided to head over to Arches National Park. It wasn't too crowded which was nice, but it was in the 90's. Since we had the baby we only hiked the easy trails. I have to say the scenery here is stunning. The RV park was the nicest one I have ever seen. We liked it so much we decided to skip The Grand Canyon and stay there until a few extra days.

North Window an easy trail for us.
DSC03802.jpg

DSC03810.jpg

DSC03812.jpg

DSC03819.jpg

DSC03787.jpg

DSC03786.jpg

DSC03780.jpg

DSC03824.jpg

DSC03847.jpg

Day 10 we headed to Dead Horse Point. It was only about 20 minutes from our campsite and was very easy to get to. We spend about 3 hours driving and walking through the Park. Apparently it's the "Grand Canyon" of Utah. The Colorado River is 2,000 feet below and the views are stunning.

DSC03889.jpg

DSC03890.jpg

DSC03871.jpg

DSC03867.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

Well our long trip was finally over on August 1st. We made it to Florida. We left Moab Utah and made it to Oklahoma City in about 16 hours. We stayed with In-Laws for 5 days. I got to see my father-in-law's 1972 Olds 442 that he restored. What a beautiful car. The heat just about killed us, triple digits every day. We left there and headed to my hometown in Indiana. Finally had a chance to see my oldest son Kyle. He's 12 now and man is he big.
photo1.jpg

I also got to see my house. Disgusting is a nice way of putting it. No hope selling it unless I put lots of money into fixing it up. The inside looks worse than the outside and the outside was pretty bad.
photo.jpg

One thing for sure, we don't want live there again.

This trip was a once in a lifetime adventure and I'm glad, because I don't think I could handle a second one. All in all we were on the road for 24 days. We traveled through 3Canadian Provinces, 15 States and drove 6,005 miles. The camper worked very well. The small window A/C kept it tolerable even in triple digits, but above 90 the fridge couldn't keep things cool. The truck had no issues except guzzling the fuel, 10 MPG not very good. This trip was more than an adventure, it was an awakening. It has opened our eyes and put many things in perspective for us. Our life and marriage are better than ever and we are truly truly happy.

maxingout

Adventurer
This trip was more than an adventure, it was an awakening. It has opened our eyes and put many things in perspective for us. Our life and marriage are better than ever and we are truly truly happy.

Trips put lots of things in perspective. Every time I return from a trip, it gets harder to return to work and increases my desire to be on the road again.

morrisster

Adventurer
Love the trip report and the pictures. Thank you for posting! I remember seeing your "planning this trip with a kid, dog and pregnant wife" and thinking, man that guy is nuts! Props to you for doing it, it looks like you guys had a BLAST. I really like your pictures by the way.
I have a few questions about your rig.
Lift?
What size tires?
What engine/trans?
4x4?
(wondering why the 10mpg)

doug1980

Love the trip report and the pictures. Thank you for posting! I remember seeing your "planning this trip with a kid, dog and pregnant wife" and thinking, man that guy is nuts! Props to you for doing it, it looks like you guys had a BLAST. I really like your pictures by the way.
I have a few questions about your rig.
Lift?
What size tires?
What engine/trans?
4x4?
(wondering why the 10mpg)

Yeah I had moments where I wished we flew down instead. Still it was a great trip, not sure I want to do another one with the dog and baby or the pregnant wife again though.
Lift is a 2.5" leveling Kit.
Tires are 285/75 17
Engine 6.0L with Automatic Trans
and yes a 4x4

Desert Samurai

Very nice trip report. Glad to see you and your family managed to survive and enjoy the once in a lifetime (or perhaps one of very few in a lifetime) adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman