Alaska and back via plane, bike, and a half million mile Dodge

Route55

Adventurer
Yesterday morning we said goodbye to the Salmon Bake, which was by far our favorite lodging:

a6935997-24cd-cfb2.jpg

And our favorite open air kitchen:

a6935997-24f9-ef59.jpg

Heading back to Denali we went to the Murie Science Center, being that it was the last thing we hadn't done. It was sparse but interesting, with several dinosaur artifacts and animal skeletons.

Walking over to the Visitor Center the kids turned in their Junior Ranger activity books and were sworn in:

a6935997-2437-01ba.jpg

After that we headed back to Anchorage for the night because we had to meet a group to pick up their bikes to bring home.

When we finished up today we headed down to Seward to spend the last leg of the trip. More great scenery to enjoy!

a6935997-25c3-a048.jpg

Just before getting into town for the night we stopped to watch this big ol' moose wade around:

a6935997-2682-f737.jpg

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Great job on the trip report. I love the humor that you add to the comments as it reflects the way life commonly plays out (I am curious how you took YOUR OWN putter to the face while mini-golfing). Also thanks for the advice regarding lodging/food/fuel/etc. That will be a great help to my wife and I when we do this trip in a few years. Keep the pictures coming.

Route55

Adventurer
Great job on the trip report. I love the humor that you add to the comments as it reflects the way life commonly plays out (I am curious how you took YOUR OWN putter to the face while mini-golfing). Also thanks for the advice regarding lodging/food/fuel/etc. That will be a great help to my wife and I when we do this trip in a few years. Keep the pictures coming.

No problem, thanks for reading!

As for the putter incident, lets just say I would make a lousy baton twirling cheerleader :)

Route55

Adventurer
Another cold rainy day forced us to find indoor entertainment, so we decided to check out the Alaska Sea Life Center in downtown Seward, located at mile zero of the Parks Highway.

Our whole family enjoys aquariums and places we can learn about animals and this center did not dissapoint. All in all we found it to be one of the most educational and well organized aquariums we've visited. Displays flowed into eachother, telling stories of the animals and environments.

a693599e-6d7c-6164.jpg

We visited a young female puffin that was super freindly. She just loved watching us!

a693599e-6db1-a77f.jpg

We checked out some "modern" technology:

a693599e-6de6-f0fe.jpg

They had a fully functioning rookery:

a693599e-6e15-59d5.jpg

After our visit the rain cut back to a sprinkle so we headed over to check out Exit Glacier. First, we visited the information center and learned about the rapid shrinking of the ice. It looses more and more every year, and they have signs across the park marking where the edges of glacier were in past years. They keep getting further and further apart, testaments to the speed of global warming.

a693599e-6f6c-0c59.jpg

Here it is:

a693599e-6f5d-f09f.jpg

And a mile long hike,

a693599e-6fad-4e75.jpg

brought us to the edge of the glacier:

a693599e-6fe2-b847.jpg

And back in town we had dinner at a great little diner followed by a stroll around town where we spotted this strange non-portable pay-as-you-go cell phone. The kids couldn't figure out how to play angry birds on it:

a693599e-707c-89e9.jpg

Route55

Adventurer
This will be my last post from Alaska for 15 days. We will be getting on a plane to Michigan in a few hours.

This morning we checked out the Train Wreck Hotel and Restaurant. It is made from several old Alaskan Railway cars. We had to wait a few minutes for a seat, as the diner portion is tiny. It was worth it. The simple menu didn't seem like much, but everything was made from scratch and mouth watering. Alaska is not known (to us at least) for good coffee, but the local Kaladi Bros. blend they brewed was perfect.

a6935991-c529-6f96.jpg

Cozy:

a6935991-c551-c68a.jpg

The truck has been going through more coolant than usual the last few days, and I tracked down the culprit, a leaking water pump. It goes through about a gallon every 100 miles, and we needed to stop for some on our way back up to Anchorage. I'll be fixing that when I get back.

a6935991-c5d2-fbcb.jpg

We met up with Brian and Sarah for a great dinner of burgers and brats on the grill, which was awesome! It felt good to eat in a house again instead of a diner! Everything was delicious, thanks again guys!

And we had a few hours to blow today so I did something I've wanted to do for years. I just never knew what I wanted. We met up with Carlos at Primal Instinct Tattoo, who was super cool, as were his coworkers. He made a "first-timer" such as myself very comfortable, and the entire process very enjoyable. The kids even had a good time watching, and he made everyone feel welcome:

a6935996-c9c3-561f.jpg

The rock I took a picture of in Denali a few days back has not been far from my mind. I never knew two simple words strung together could define who I am so well. I feel it was a fitting close to the first leg of our adventure:

a6935996-c6e6-bb42.jpg

Route55

Adventurer
Brian dropped us off at the airport for our redeye flight, and we handed him the keys to our Cadillac for him to enjoy for the next few weeks:

a6895825-ce86-f19a.jpg

Preston said he wanted another week in Alaska, Abby was excited to go on a plane, because this was going to be her first flight:

a6895825-cf01-fc99.jpg

The first leg was from Anchorage to Phoenix which took a little over six hours. It was uneventful and we did our best to try to sleep. The flight was delayed a few minutes, but other than that was pretty good.

Arriving in Phoenix the kids and I said goodbye to Katie. She had to connect over to Columbus, Ohio for a work convention. She sells Tastefully Simple products, and goes every year to their big conference/show.

With the kids in tow we ran across the airport, as we only had a few minutes due to our delayed flight. We ended up getting free excercise for nothing, as our Phoenix/Detroit flight was delayed by a few minutes as well.

Boarding the plane I looked around and something looked off. The seats were brand new, but spaced about 5 inches closer to eachother than the average overly spacious coach class seats. But that was the only new thing. Everything else about the aircraft was old, very old. There were ashtrays everywhere, and most everything was cracked, worn, or broken.

Upon takeoff we watched the whole aisle of the plane flex, while listening to every joint and panel creak and groan in a harmony of stressfull complaints. This thing was ready for the scrapyard.

Once in the air the flight was smooth enough, so the kids enjoyed some rest:

a6895828-d241-c0c9.jpg

We listened to the overly talkative, yet very depressed sounding pilot every few minutes on the PA system, tell us where we were, and what sights we could see if there were no clouds. I just wanted to yell "shut up and keep your eyes on the sky!"

Finally the flight attendant came around and asked what we wanted for breakfast. So I asked "What are the options?"

Rolling her eyes in disgust, she snottily replied "Sir, there is a menu in the seat pocket."

Pulling it out the kids and I looked at it, and I said "one breakfast sandwich please"

"We're out."

"OK, then I'll take two fruit and cheese plates for the kids."

"We're out."

"OK, then we'll take three of your big box lunch meals."

"We're out."

I just looked at her and said. "Then why don't you tell me what you DO have!"

"I have two snack trays and a bag of almonds, thats it."

Nothing like service with a smile!

Our landing in Detroit proved to be a unique experience. The antique craft bucked and swayed like crazy. Everyone in the plane looked ready to loose their lunch, and to our great luck, Abby did. She covered the seat in front of her, herself, and her new shoes. The poor thing!

I asked the same flight attendant for some towels, and she scoweled and tossed me a couple of dry paper towels, which were of no use. Fortunately a nice lady behind us had baby wipes, so I was able to get her cleaned up and into some fresh clothes.

Our flight ended up landing 45 minutes late as well, but we were glad to be home. My dad and brother picked us up, and after a quick stop for some groceries we got home about 8:00 PM. Exhausted, we got cleaned up quick and into bed, where we all slept in till 1:30 PM the next day.

Route55

Adventurer
Adjusting to the time difference for myself and the kids has been more difficult than expected. I'm not trying to push it, knowing I just have to go back to Alaska time in less than two weeks.

Being home has been relaxing for the most part. Katie is still at her conference, so it's just been me and the kids. We've visited friends and relatives, and spent the day yesterday at a family reunion.

This morning between housework I fed the kids and grabbed a bowl of Cheerios for myself. Half way in I realized I had forgotten to make mine with soymilk. A few months ago I unexpectedly developed a sudden dairy allergy, which has been quite the adjustment for me. So much as a few drops of half and half cause serious abdominal discomfort. So you can imagine how the rest of the morning went after half a bowl of milk. The kids have been avoiding the bathroom like theres homework and broccoli in there.

I also discovered the fine print on Dawn detergent thats says "not dishwasher safe" My wife says I never do the dishes!

a689581b-b9c4-c823.jpg

Don't worry about the time change too much. I routinely go to Europe and back. Going there +6 hours is always harder than coming home. So going to AK translates easier than going east. At least for me it's always that way.

Oh and as far as airplane food, it's always better to buy in the terminal than on the plane.

Route55

Adventurer
On the 14th I spent my last day with the family for a month relaxing with them. I took the kids for a canoe ride down the river in front of our house. The weather was perfect.

a6935995-720e-ca99.jpg

The next day Lucas and I started out at Detroit Metro airport. Right away the fun began when boarding was delayed several times due to broken things on the plane that needed fixing. Finally we boarded about 30 minutes late for Phoenix.

Landing in Arizona we had about five minutes to run across the entire airport to our connecting flight to Anchorage. Lucas was sporting his new big clunky motorcycle boots, so his "running" provided some great entertainment. We made the flight just on time.

a6935995-7245-1172.jpg

Arriving in Anchorage after midnight Brian picked us up. We were exhausted and crashed right away. The next day we slept in and when we finally woke, we spent the day prepping our stuff and the bikes for our adventure, and the following day we took off first thing in the morning. Brian's KLR650 is the red one on the left, Lucas' KLR650 is the green one on the right, and my DRZ400 is in the middle:

a6935995-7390-cf5b.jpg

After less than an hour into our ride Brian decided to wash his bike in the Knik river:

a6935995-7436-4904.jpg

Lucas followed and promptly fell over, dousing himself and the right side of his bike. He got it out quickly, but it wouldn't restart, so Brian helped him push it back across where we let it dry out for a few hours.

a6935995-7492-9b0a.jpg

The continued cranking killed the battery, so we swapped Brian's into Lucas bike and finally got it restarted.

a6935995-7570-7f53.jpg

Heading out to Hatcher Pass we ran into a convoy of historical WWII and Korean war Jeeps, trucks, and assorted vehicles traversing the tight gravel switchbacks. There was over 100 of them and it was quite the sight.

a6935995-7630-949e.jpg

And

a6935995-764c-76ed.jpg

And

a6935995-766b-f8b9.jpg

Topping the cool factor were two T6 WWII trainer planes that kept buzzing the convoy:

a6935995-76ee-640b.jpg

We finally made it to Talkeetna where we met up with some old friends from Michigan that moved up several years ago, Ryan and Heidi. Ryan is an airplane mechanic and pilot, and showed us around his shop, including this 1955 DeHaviland Otter.

a6935995-77cd-466f.jpg

And

a6935995-77e6-b1bb.jpg

We then headed out to the lake where Ryan keeps his Maule floatplane and we helped him with a quick repair on his exhaust.

a6935995-785e-78ae.jpg

After that we met up with Heidi for dinner at her restaurant/brewery in Talkeetna, Twister Creek. We sampled a few barleypops and had a great dinner. Afterwards we ended up at Ryan and Heidi's, where they put us up for the night. Thanks again guys!

Today we followed Brian for about 250 miles of very scenic back road, with plenty of stops along the way.

a6935995-7946-1b93.jpg

And we tried again to see Mt. McKinley, but only saw clouds:

a6935995-795e-38e4.jpg

And we finally made camp for the night at Fielding Lake. It is overcast and very chilly, but the sights are awesome! I found an old tent in my attic and brought it along without checking it out first. Opening it up I found a zipperless door teal and purple Barbie looking thing, which Brian and Lucas are having great fun with!

a6935995-79d0-936c.jpg

Route55

Adventurer
Sorry for the big gaps between posts. We were on an awesome trip and took lots of pics but had no service.

Starting where I left off, Brian checked out a copy of the Thumbprint News from Michigan while at the Alaska pipeline:

a6935994-8560-c294.jpg

Following our guide Brian we stopped many places to check out the scenery:

a693599a-2fc0-24e9.jpg

And we climbed Taylor Mountain, which was very steep and rocky. Towards the top we ran into two herds of Caribou that we were able to get very close to:

a693599a-301d-ef1f.jpg

And

a693599a-3040-6a42.jpg

We walked around this big thing:

a693599a-307b-8ca7.jpg

And

a693599a-3095-3c41.jpg

The views were breathtaking!

a693599a-30cf-27c9.jpg

We continued on the Top of the World Highway where we stopped in Chicken, Alaska. Supposedly the town founders wanted to name the town Ptarmigan after the state bird but couldn't agree how to spell it, so they just went with Chicken! Here is downtown:

a693599a-3183-f434.jpg

They boasted about the great amenitys they had to offer:

a693599a-31b0-b0c0.jpg

And we stopped for the night just outside of Chicken, where I figured out a good way to dry my wet sleeping bag. Sure, it might have a few holes now, but I was dry!

a693599a-3217-ce5c.jpg

Since I have so much more to share, I'll continue on with another post in a day or two.

MrBeast

Explorer
Man awesome thread. I loved the pictures.

Hopefully this coming summer I will finally be able to escape Texas and make my way up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears