Alaska, One off the Bucket List

coachchuck

Observer
Trip into the night, The Motorcycle is running again

July 12-13, 2012

I woke up in the motel this morning with high hopes that my motorcycle would be fixed today and I could be on my way again. My original plan would have put me home this afternoon, but I built in a couple of extra days in case something like this happened.

Since I had walked to the dealership and picked up my dirty clothes yesterday, I decided to do laundry this morning. It is early and no one is using the machines. I only have one load, and really it is about ½ a load. On this trip, I have found out how little one really needs. Not Wants.

I get a call from another ADV rider that offers me his camper to stay in if I am still there tonight. I thank him and hope to not be here.

After the laundry is done, I check out of the motel room but have them store all my bags. I don’t want to carry them to the dealership. I take off walking for the dealership. At a little before noon I get a call that my bike is fixed and ready to go. I am only 2 blocks away. That is good timing. I get there and it is not ready to go, the owner thought is should be washed before I get it back. I wait for them to finish the job. They cleaned it very nice. It has more power, I think I had been having problems for a couple of days, since it was losing power since the desert in Wyoming. I had thought it was because I was raising in altitude, but I guess it was the lack of electrical.

I head back to motel to pick up my gear. It is all loaded and I head out. I decide to continue to Hwy 50 to go across. I continue south to Pueblo and then get on 50 and head east.

It is 2 pm and the temperature is 100 F. I stop in some little town and get some more water. I continue on the scenery is dry, almost like the desert, but not quite. Most of the abandon building are stucco and very thick walls. There are a lot of old vehicles from the past, it appears that nothing rusts away here. It is very dry. There is a few cows and some horses. The fields are irrigated.

I stop in Holly CO, almost to the Kansas Line. I get gas, then I fill myself up at Porkys Palace. They have an open face cheese burger that is smothered in homemade green chili sauce that is just incredibly good. It is one of those things that tastes go good, but you know it will get you later. I would recommend it to anyone that likes semi hot spicy food. It was absolutely delicious. As I come out of Porkys, I see a bunch of bikes across the street at the gas station. I find out that one of them is in trouble, the fuel injection is not working on it. I can’t help, so I talk a while and move on down the road.

I cross into Kansas and everything is getting greener the farther east I go. I pass by many road side vegetable stands. There are large vegetable fields, of course they are irrigated. As I keep going I see many cattle feed lots. You can smell them long before you see them. At about dark, I pass through a huge windmill farm. It is about 10 miles long and I would guess 5 or 6 miles wide. Of course it is windy, but not real strong. Now that it is dark, I can’t really see what is off the road. The sky is dark, partly cloudy and there is no moon out. This is good, with it being dark, there will not be as much animal movement, hence no deer in the road. I only saw 3 deer and 1 coyote all the way across Kansas.

I stop for gas for the bike and water for me a couple of times. I am getting tired and I am about to Emporia. . I am so close to home I don’t want to stop. It is less than 2 hours to home. I stop and the Flying J for about 25 minutes even though I don’t need gas. I get a couple of Jalapeno hot dog to help me wake up. It was that or find a place to set up the tent. If they didn’t wake me up, I was going to camp here. But they did the trick. I continue on into the darkness. The road is wet north of Burlington and there is lighting off the west just a little ways. I am thinking I might get wet. But it doesn’t rain on me.

I pull into the house at just a smidgen before 3 am. I lost an hour somewhere. I had figured around 1:30 to 2:00 am. It must have been going from Mountain to Central Time Zone. I am happily greeted by my loving wife and 2 rowdy dogs. I will unload the bike later.

From time to time I will miss the road, but It is good to be home again.

coachchuck

Observer
Trip Report (Kinda)

End of trip Summary and Notes

June 15- July 13, 2012

I would do it again if I had the chance. The weather was not perfect, but I could not expect a month of perfect weather. There are just too many highlights to put them in the summary. Just read back through the blog.

Paid Camping: 14 Night-, Highest $28, Lowest $5

Motels: 6 Nights- Highest $110 for ½ room, Lowest $43 for ½ a room

Free Camping: 6 nights

Travel On Motorcycle: 10190 Miles,-Unpaved 1989 Miles

Travel On Ferry: 521 Miles

Travel On Foot: 49 Miles

Total Miles Traveled : 10760 Miles

Longest Day: 780 Miles

Shortest Day: 8 Miles

Gas Prices: Highest $8.08 per Gallon in BC, lowest $3.29 in Kansas

Motorcycle Problems beyond maintenance and normal wear and tear: 1- Stator was replaced.

After covering 10760 miles and approximately 1989 miles of those on none paved roads/trails, traveling by ferry and walking some, I would only change a few things.

Clothing:
■I would take wicking pants that the legs zip on and off rather than both cotton blue jeans and cotton shorts.
■I would take socks that wick rather than plain cotton socks. The winter socks worked well (fleece lined wool).
■I would take a pair of comfortable easy on/off walking shoes. I only had my boots. These would work so much better around the campground and to the shower.

Food and Cooking:
■I would carry less food. When covering so much ground, you will pass a place that sells food somewhere along the way.
■Mechanical water filter system I would not take. ( I would get chemical, much smaller)

Items I would not take again:
■Inverter
■As much cash. Almost all places take Visa or Mastercard. I would still take cash, just a smaller amount.
■Winter coat, I used my riding gear so much, I never needed a winter coat.

Items I did not use but would still take:
■2nd camera – pictures are very important to me
■Winter base layer – some other riders around me used theirs
■Jet boil stove – I used someone else’s that was already out and going rather than mine.

Items I would like to change, but the change is not necessary:
■Lens on camera. It would be nice to have one lens to cover the full range rather than switching back and forth. I missed a couple of shots while trying to get the correct lens on.
■Heated jacket or vest. I could layer up and stay warm, but when riding the distances the temperature changes and I would have to stop and unlayer and layer. Turning a knob off and on is a lot easier.
■Heated glove liners or heated gloves. The heated grips worked most of the time, but there were a couple of times my fingers got very cold in the rain/snow mixture coming down.
■Smaller sleeping bag and smaller sleeping pad when rolled up. Ones more suited for backpacking would work nicely. This way I could get them in one dry bag rather than 2 dry bags.
■Riding gear that have the rain gear built on the outside. This way I wouldn’t have to stop and put it on ride a ways and then stop and take it off.

The motorcycle:
■Possibly different tires. Hiendau K60 outperformed the Anakee I had on. Both traction in gravel/dirt and tire life. The Hiendau also have good traction on the road. Down side is the noise they produce.
■I would go back to the stock 15 tooth front sprocket. The 16 tooth was nice in the plains, but the 15 would work better in the mountains.
■I would still carry a spare chain and master link. I used them on this trip.
■I would buy a big can of chain lube that I like before leaving, I couldn’t find what I wanted along the way.

The Biggest change if it was possible would be to take my wife with me. But she would not be comfortable on the motorcycle for that long, so that is I change that would not be possible. Maybe someday I will take the trip again in an Jeep Wrangle or something similar with my wife.
Me.jpg

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing.

Is the posted map/route the one you actually took or the one you originally planned? You said earlier on that you made an adjustment in where you actually crossed the border headed north.

Very enjoyable read! thank you very much for sharing! You said you went over budget with the stator repair, would you mind sharing what your budget was? Thanks!

coachchuck

Observer
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing.

Is the posted map/route the one you actually took or the one you originally planned? You said earlier on that you made an adjustment in where you actually crossed the border headed north.
The posted spotwalla map is the actual route. My spot device would update my location every 10 minutes while I had it turned on. You can fill the page to 100% and get much detail of where I was traveling. It is at 10% fill and will only show 1 out of 10 updates. The map from SPOT has disappeared as they only hold it for (I believe) 21 days.

Very enjoyable read! thank you very much for sharing! You said you went over budget with the stator repair, would you mind sharing what your budget was? Thanks!
My travel budget was $2000 or about $65 a day. This was to include everything. 2 oil changes, and 1 set of tires, all my fuel, all food and entertainment, camping fees and hotel, and misc. It ended up costing me right at $2373 or about $79 a day.

Roverchef

Adventurer
Thank you for the report and the inspiration to "Go Now" and do all the things you can while you can! Sorry about the wife not wanting to go along for the ride. That would be "almost" a deal breaker for me and the trip, not me and the wife. Maybe a sidecar next time around. Thanks again!

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Now I only wish I had the chance to explore Alaska

it truly is spectular & thanks for making me green with envy over the photos

Ronct110

Adventurer
will take the trip again in an Jeep Wrangle or something similar with my wife.

Truly enjoyed reading our journal and the pictures. Hope my trip to Alaska w/my son (father and son trip) materializes next June in our Land Rover; will be traveling with 1-2 other trucks. Gave me a lot of ideas/info. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12