Alaskan Camper Build Up

Carlyle

Explorer
Congratulations Carl. She's a head turner!!!
Not everyone gets a second chance but you seized yours, with bold results. I imagine your experiences at work had an influence (yes, the truck is long – but life is short). Even so, you had to write the cheque and no doubt it cost a bomb. Good on ya!

May you and yours have many happy travels.

Thanks David, the cheque hurt but we hope to have a camper that will last for many many years. The whole flat bed and camper can be completely transferred to a new truck some day with a minimal amount of welding. Provided commercial trucks don't don't change the width of their frames. In addition I travel to work with it and get to deduct some of it.

Carlyle

Explorer
Congratulations Carl. She’s a head turner!!!
Not everyone gets a second chance but you seized yours, with bold results. I imagine your experiences at work had an influence (yes, the truck is long – but life is short). Even so, you had to write the cheque and no doubt it cost a bomb. Good on ya!

May you and yours have many happy travels.

Thanks David, the cheque hurt but we hope to have a camper that will last for many many years. The whole flat bed and camper can be completely transferred to a new truck some day with a minimal amount of welding. Provided commercial trucks don't don't change the width of their frames. In addition I travel to work with it and get to deduct some of it.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Carlyle, check and see if you can use the Thule mounting hardware for your Yakima tracks. They use an expandable fastener that only goes in through the top so you don't have to take the headliner down. I was thinking about this for my 2012 Ram CC as well so looking forward to your progress.

Carlyle

Explorer
Carlyle, check and see if you can use the Thule mounting hardware for your Yakima tracks. They use an expandable fastener that only goes in through the top so you don't have to take the headliner down. I was thinking about this for my 2012 Ram CC as well so looking forward to your progress.

Sounds like a great idea, any idea what they call it?

fastlakota

Carlyle, the new rig looks great! I am so envious. I love the wide aluminium steps for entering the door. Do you know who makes the fold out steps? What size are the step treads? I think they would be perfect for me if I could get the same thing.

fyreles

Nice machine, what about mounting the spare on the roof. You could mount lights easier down low and even a set in front of tire. I mean it gets dark at night...

Advanture

How are you finding the front mounted spare tire holder so far? Does it interfere with your front sight lines while driving at all, or not enough to be bothersome? As well as rotating the tire out of the way to provide winch access--does it allow you to rotate the spare tire all the way down to the ground to make tire changes easier?

Carlyle

Explorer
Just got back from a quick trip down to the Alamagordo region in NM. Everything is checking out great with all systems working.

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Carlyle

Explorer

Found that the "plus nuts" that Yakima sells are available on line directly at a much reduced cost. Truck roof rack goes on shortly. I'll have to be careful not to drill too deep though and go through the head liner.

Carlyle

Explorer
Carlyle, the new rig looks great! I am so envious. I love the wide aluminium steps for entering the door. Do you know who makes the fold out steps? What size are the step treads? I think they would be perfect for me if I could get the same thing.

Steps are made by "step up manufacturing". i actually went with a five step this time and have my six steps going cheap.

Carlyle

Explorer
Nice machine, what about mounting the spare on the roof. You could mount lights easier down low and even a set in front of tire. I mean it gets dark at night...

Still thinking about options, but I don't feel like wrestling 175 lbs off the roof of the truck.

Carlyle

Explorer
How are you finding the front mounted spare tire holder so far? Does it interfere with your front sight lines while driving at all, or not enough to be bothersome? As well as rotating the tire out of the way to provide winch access--does it allow you to rotate the spare tire all the way down to the ground to make tire changes easier?

i think it's hurting my fuel mileage, in addition it throws off my outside temp reading especially when the engine fan turns on.

teleturns

Adventurer
Just got back from a quick trip down to the Alamagordo region in NM. Everything is checking out great with all systems working.

DAMN! I wish I would have known you were in New Mexico. I would have loved to see your beast in person......

Beautiful rig my friend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears