Alaskan Camper Build Up

Advanture

You'll have to update your signature line again. The camper is no longer in the making--it's made! Congratulations! I'm glad to see you the spouse and the dog enjoying it. I'm still curious about the front bumper tire holder...you didn't answer 2 of my questions--you can see over the thing OK to drive? Does it let you rotate the tire on the arm all the way to the ground to facilitate taking it on and off?

Carlyle

Explorer
You'll have to update your signature line again. The camper is no longer in the making--it's made! Congratulations! I'm glad to see you the spouse and the dog enjoying it. I'm still curious about the front bumper tire holder...you didn't answer 2 of my questions--you can see over the thing OK to drive? Does it let you rotate the tire on the arm all the way to the ground to facilitate taking it on and off?

Sorry to not answer those questions, the answer is you can see over the tire and even my wife is driving the vehicle and not complaining about it. On back roads with steep climbs, we'll have to see. I t really is made for a smaller tire and would be best if it sat down about eight inches further. The tire is held in place with a latch and a pin, open those and the tire swings up about 90 degrees, but all the way down. When I saw it I thought it would be a brute to lift, but it's not too bad.

Carlyle

Explorer
DAMN! I wish I would have known you were in New Mexico. I would have loved to see your beast in person......

Beautiful rig my friend

We actually by passed east of your area and took the old 84 to the 54, but it would have been fun to meet. Man, was it warm there last week...

Carlyle

Explorer
Who is the manufacturer , and over the months have you found a custom :Wow1:

The bed is made by Ute ltd. Initially I was going to use it alone, but ended up getting a suspended sub frame custom made by a local welder. In the end I only use the decking and lights from the Ute.

Carlyle

Explorer
Okay, after many months I finally have real license plates on my truck. Here is how it worked in Colorado:

1. Buy the truck chassis and get temp tag at dealer
2. Get flatbed built and mounted and get up-fitters slip
3. Get it weighed with flatbed at official site
4. Go the the DMV and get a new title and another temp tag and pay sales tax on truck and flatbed
5. Get camper and mount it
6. Get camper weighed again at official weight station
7. Get truck inspected my local Sheriff's department to prove it is still a flatbed with removable camper
8. Pay road fees and taxes and finally get plates

Kind of a pain, but finally complete.

pods8

Explorer
Weird final step, you'd think after the flatbed was on they'd call it a truck. Did they know you were putting a camper on it or something and were concerned it'd become and RV?

Byrdseye

Observer
Nice work and thanks for sharing! I've finally started on my 5500 build (thread to follow soon) and I'm trying to decide on the 335 MPT81s vs the 275's. My base C&C weighs around 3000 lbs on the rear axle which allows around 6000 lbs to play with before exceeding the load capacity of the 275's. I'm curious what your rear axle weight is when your all loaded up with water etc...... Once again, great rig, I'm sure you'll enjoy her for a long time>

Carlyle

Explorer
Roof rack in place on top of camper. Seems to make the truck/camper a little more complete. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336258966.489941.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336258966.489941.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336258966.489941.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 73

Carlyle

Explorer
Nice work and thanks for sharing! I've finally started on my 5500 build (thread to follow soon) and I'm trying to decide on the 335 MPT81s vs the 275's. My base C&C weighs around 3000 lbs on the rear axle which allows around 6000 lbs to play with before exceeding the load capacity of the 275's. I'm curious what your rear axle weight is when your all loaded up with water etc...... Once again, great rig, I'm sure you'll enjoy her for a long time>

I think the 275's are going to be a lot easier to fit on your truck. Even with the factory bumper off and a bunch of carving the 275's are a squeeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Sweet. Now it looks like the carrier has an elevator to lift the F-14s to the main deck. :D

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Carlyle, the rig looks great! I'm sure you have covered this somewhere in the 300 or so pages, but why did you not go with a cabover? I would think having a 12' and cabover bed would net you more room, and way less rear overhang. I am going to guess you don't like to climb up into the cabover bunk?

Glad too see you are out enjoying it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78