Alcan/Deaver rear spring question

MADBMW

OK;

After researching on this site I have decided that I will ultimately run 255/85R16 on my stock 16" toyota rims. I am going to go with a full leaf pack. I was going to order the (along with other parts) from wheeler's off road but I have a question about Alcan and Deavers.

I know to run the 255/85's I need to have the center pin on the leaf packs moved forward about .5" My question is, is this a standard feature on both Alcan and Deaver springs, or do you have to custom order it this way directly from Alcan or Deaver? I was leaning toward Alcan springs from wheelers because they seem to privide slightly more lift for the 8 leaf pack (don't know that I need a 10 leaf pack), but Deaver seems to have a good reputation as well.

MADBMW said:
OK;

After researching on this site I have decided that I will ultimately run 255/85R16 on my stock 16" toyota rims. I am going to go with a full leaf pack. I was going to order the (along with other parts) from wheeler's off road but I have a question about Alcan and Deavers.

I know to run the 255/85's I need to have the center pin on the leaf packs moved forward about .5" My question is, is this a standard feature on both Alcan and Deaver springs, or do you have to custom order it this way directly from Alcan or Deaver? I was leaning toward Alcan springs from wheelers because they seem to privide slightly more lift for the 8 leaf pack (don't know that I need a 10 leaf pack), but Deaver seems to have a good reputation as well.

It will be all set for you to install, but I don't know if they come with longer u-bolts from Wheelers. Why don't you call Alcan instead and have them custom made. Cut out the middle man. There really is no price difference. They are great to work with. I love the results I got from my custom pack from Alcan. Wonderful group of people.

Deavers are great too. You should also give them a call and talk with them directly too.

I try to go directly to the source, besides I had bad luck with Wheeler's one time and I just can't get myself to give them anymore of my money.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
The Alcans and Deavers come with the center pin hole 'adjusted'.

Putting the new springs is just a matter of remove and replace. The centerpin falls right into the preset.

Send an email to Charles at Alcan or Scott at Deaver. They can answer any
questions for you.

I also completely agree with what Phil said above.

-C

Last edited:

MADBMW

WOW!

Fast replies. I would like to thank you all so much for your info over the past few days. I am really looking forward to my upcoming build and posting my own build thread. Just a few more $$$$ to save up and I will start. This is by far the best forum on the net.

RoundOut

Explorer
I have had great results dealing with Wheelers and dealing direct with Deaver.

My first lift in the rear was a 1" block and 1" add-a-leaf from Wheelers, which is a Deaver leaf. I have ordered from Wheelers several times and even had a warranty return on a rim that the powder coating came off of. They were great to work with.

Deaver is AWESOME to work with, too. After adding my swing-out tire carrier and relocating my batteries, I had a little too much sag in the rear and decided to do it right. I had them make me a custom leaf pack for my Tundra. I ordered a stock + 2" + 500 lbs extra weight leaf pack. They originally sent me a 9-pack, but it didn't lift enough, so they sent me another leaf and longer pins. It is the perfect solution for my truck. They have great customer service.

I subsequently ordered the Timbren bump-stops from Wheelers, along with some greasable bushings for the leaf packs. Those are going in on Tuesday. I can't wait, as the bushings in my Deavers squeak like crazy because I didn't know to grease them when I installed them. Oh well. LOL. I learned a valuable lesson there.

RoundOut said:
I have ordered from Wheelers several times and even had a warranty return on a rim that the powder coating came off of. They were great to work with.

*off topic rant*

What the hell!? They took a rim back from you because the powder coating came off, but they would not take back the rims they sent me that were horribly out of round. They said I had to first send them to the manufacturer (on my dime) to get them tested. Then they would offer a refund of the cost of the rims, but not the shipping. Yeah....shipping rims is not cheap. They even swore at me when I was describing how much out of round the rims were. They called BS on me while I stood next to the mechanic who just measured them.

Glad they were helpful to you, just doesn't make sense why they treated me with little respect.

*sorry for the hijack*

Last edited:

RoundOut

Explorer
Streakerfreak said:
*off topic rant*

What the hell!? They took a rim back from you because the powder coating came off, but they would not take back the rims they sent me that were horribly out of round. They said I had to first send them to the manufacturer (on my dime) to get them tested. Then they would offer a refund of the cost of the rims, but not the shipping. Yeah....shipping rims is not cheap. They even swore at me when I was describing how much out of round the rims were. They called BS on me while I stood next to the mechanic who just measure them.

Glad they were helpful to you, just doesn't make sense why they treated me with little respect.

*sorry for the hijack*

I had to go through the same stuff, sending them to ProComp on my dime, but they sent me another first, then credited my account. I don't think they re-imbursed my shipping to ProComp, but I was happy to get a good rim.

A few years later, I needed another one. The manager at my local Discount Tire special-ordered them direct from ProComp. It was the fifth one for my swing-out spare tire. They were several dollars cheaper than Wheelers.

madizell

Explorer
Powder coat flaking off is both a common issue and readily determined by most anyone. Technical out of round condition is not something that you can see just by looking, and if you can see that the rim is egg shaped, it is more likely to have been abused than mis-manufactured. I would not refund the cost of a rim for out of round, either, unless the reason it is out of round had been reasonably determined. Since the middle man can't do that, it would have to go back to the manufacturer for examination. I don't see a cause for upset over this. But if a wheel source is known to sometimes send out out of round wheels, don't buy their wheels.

madizell said:
Powder coat flaking off is both a common issue and readily determined by most anyone. Technical out of round condition is not something that you can see just by looking, and if you can see that the rim is egg shaped, it is more likely to have been abused than mis-manufactured. I would not refund the cost of a rim for out of round, either, unless the reason it is out of round had been reasonably determined. Since the middle man can't do that, it would have to go back to the manufacturer for examination. I don't see a cause for upset over this. But if a wheel source is known to sometimes send out out of round wheels, don't buy their wheels.

*well this was not suppose to be rants, but I guess I have too*

These wheels where unusable. It would cost $200 to ship them back, so I would have lost $200 out the $600 I spent on the wheels due only to the fact that they were shipped to me bad. Yes they were put in the boxes out of round, since the boxes were in perfect shape. So your saying I am suppose to eat $200 of my own money due to someone else? They said they were not going to refund any of the shipping charges even if they were determined out of round. They then proceded to swear at me saying things along the lines that they don't *blank*ing ship out of round wheels and that I was *blank*ing lying. Why would I lie about wheels that I actually wanted?

Yes all 5 wheels were completely out of round and all we did was open the boxes. We notice something was wrong so before we mounted them we put them on the machine to make sure.

Sorry if I am not going to get a full refund for a product that was sent bad to me, then that company will not get anymore of my business.

Alcan was great. The first set of springs that we sent to me were not to the specs we discussed. I called them up and they apologized for the mistake. Within one week I had brand new rear springs before they even sent the pickup request for the bad ones. Not a single bit of the shipping was on my dime.

If the problem is my fault or if I don't like the product then of course I should be the one paying the shipping.

Last edited:

MADBMW

Streakerfreak said:
Anyways! Lets us know how your truck is coming along. Should be time for a build thread!

Hopefully I will be ording the parts in the next couple of months. We just payed off the credit card, so the wife wants a couple of months without a payment:violent-smiley-031:

I can not wait to start my build!!!!!! For sure I will start a build thread to keep you all posted on how the truck is comming along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior