All purpose everything trailer build

80DDYota

After looking and looking for ideas, I found one. It came from someones idea of their build, but I don't think it happend? It is a sweet idea for the side that I was wanting. So this is what I will be shooting for for my trailers sides. the front will have my generator instead of the box.

Photo017.jpg

I liked this because it will keep the center of gravity down low. Have storage on each side where it usually goes to waste. Can't wait to start working on it........

80DDYota

Got a chance to work on my trailer alittle bit. I did what I could today with a tight budget:(. I went and picked up that fake wood stuff from the HD. 100 bucks. After today working with this material, I wish I would have picked up some sooner for the other trailers. A little pricey but, this stuff won't dry out and splinter over time. And I don't have to worry about the shovel taking a chunk out when unloading dirt or gravel.
Photo040.jpg

Photo041.jpg

Photo042.jpg

Once all cut to size, I mountedand them and counter sunk the screw heads, made a last cut with all of them secured. One smooth cut!!!
Photo044.jpg

routed the edge for a smooth end, no sharpe edges, this stuff is nice to work wihth, cuts nice and no sanding required.
Photo043.jpg

Photo045.jpg

I mounted a lip in the front because at the momment this is a temp set up.
Photo046.jpg

Photo047.jpg

I had to get this this ready for work. Once some extra money comes my way, I can work on the sides and mount the generator. Dude, this stuff was $%^k'n nice to work with. After all was done it was smooth and no saw dust in my lungs. I'm sure it will take stain, I don't think I need it. If I do it will be because to change the color.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I hope it works out for you. It does look good.

A couple of big drawbacks when using a composite deckboard for a trailer though.

Rigidity, and weight.

A 5/4 deck board is designed to be used on 12" - 16" centers. More trailers are built with 24" centers. Using it beyond 16" is not advised.

I is also considerably heavier than a pine or treated fir decking, or 1-1/8" plywood. Weight is the enemy when talking trailers.

80DDYota

Yeah, I noticed the weight. This stuff is a little heavy. The spacing of the frame wasn't too bad. In the sun this stuff did flex, wasn't bad though, same as plywood. I even jumped on it, held up, wasn't like a spring board, kept rigid. I figured that this would be lighter than a 1/8" peice of steel for the bed. I will be cutting down on the weight once the sides get done. Sheet metal sides, trying not to build a frame for the shape. 16 gauge and some 18 gauge. Keeping the weight low is what I'm shooting for.
This is alot better than wood. For all the beating it will get, it will hold up good. Heck just working off of it was nice. The tools didn't leave any dents, the metal shavings wasn't bedded in. And no splinters while setting all the screws.
If I had planned to use this at the begining I would have brought the spacing in a bit. It worked out though, great product so far.

Last edited:

sapper

Adventurer
I will be monitoring this build. I think once I move to the new house I will be building a trailer myself but just a slightly larger scale.

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
SWEET! I was just trying to decide between steel, plywood, or composite decking for my trailer floor. I'm going with composite for sure. I'll probably try glueing mine together as I screw it down with some type of silicone or something to seal the seams.

wingysataday

Adventurer
I have been contemplating running some weather stripping between the wood floor in mine and the diamond plate siding as well. I will just have to see what my trailer looks like when I get it!

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Love the build, I want to see what its going to look like when complete. I've been planing to do a very similar build my self, just waiting to get the $ to get the rest of the parts. Here is a pic of my plans. You do good work.
4b8ba6ef-4fa1-f56d.jpg

80DDYota

Well I figured I can start planning the sides and go ahead and mount the generator.

I'm trying not to put too much weight on the tounge. So it will be sitting back a little.
Photo061.jpg

Photo062.jpg

The is my little guy helping out.
Photo063.jpg

Photo065.jpg

Here are the brakets that will be holding the gen secure.
Photo066.jpg

Photo068.jpg

Photo069.jpg

Still a bit more to do but, at least I can still use in the mean time.

Last edited:

80DDYota

Worked on the rear side section, mostly so that I can mount the lights.

Had to get the angle and size right before cutting and bending.
Photo071.jpg

Went to OSH and picked up some sheet metal.
Photo070.jpg

cutting and bending next..
Photo072.jpg

Photo073.jpg

Photo074.jpg

here what it looks like so far
Photo076.jpg

Photo077.jpg

Photo075.jpg

Last edited:

wingysataday

Adventurer
You might want to cut some air holes in those wings you are putting on. It looks like a parachute in the making. Awesome build, wish I had an ounce of the peoples skills on this forum! I have the vision but not really the skill.

80DDYota

You might want to cut some air holes in those wings you are putting on. It looks like a parachute in the making. Awesome build, wish I had an ounce of the peoples skills on this forum! I have the vision but not really the skill.

Thanks. If you have an idea, go with it. It will come out nice if you take your time and have pride in what you do. Heck give a try, you might surprise yourself. good luck.

Last edited:

80DDYota

See, never happy with what you do for yourself.:) I started to think about how to build the sides. I wanted it to be all out of sheet metal. Then I started to figure that security is important, and keeping it simple to make. So, trying to still keep the weight down, Im gunna frame for the sides and build the top out of angle iron. 1x1 upside down to keep the weather out. I wanted the top of the doors strong enough to keep people out. Simple framing of 1x1 tubing for the front, back and down the side, easier to attach the sheet to the sides and front, back. Plus it will give me enough material to burn in for the top.
Heck once built, Im thinking of black ABS 3/8 thick for the bottoms of the compartments. Diamond plating for the rear tail light section that wraps around the sides. Man, I wanna do some more work now!!!!! Damb day time job, keeps my from having fun.

80DDYota

SWEET! I was just trying to decide between steel, plywood, or composite decking for my trailer floor. I'm going with composite for sure. I'll probably try glueing mine together as I screw it down with some type of silicone or something to seal the seams.

I was told that this stuff doesn't shrink much, I'll see soon I guess. I kept them tight when putting them on. I've been watching the gaps since it is outside in the sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78