All the way to the Arctic Circle in a 2003 Honda Civic!

molanginaeda

Observer
Nice !!!!! Another Bostonian here.

I'm looking forward to read the rest of the trip. Also interested to see how much fuel consumption for the whole trip. :)

Even if the front license plate is blockoff, I'm 110% sure the inspection sticker on the windshield is MA sticker.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great story and I am really looking forward to more....
The pics are fun and you really prove the point that anyone can go anytime in any vehicle and still have a great experience.
Please keep posting!

redsoxfan1001

Nice !!!!! Another Bostonian here.

I'm looking forward to read the rest of the trip. Also interested to see how much fuel consumption for the whole trip. :)

Even if the front license plate is blockoff, I'm 110% sure the inspection sticker on the windshield is MA sticker.

Haha Spot on, and speaking of that I'll have a interesting post in the future for why I don't have a front license plate in some of these photos. Watson Lake sign forest *cough cough*. And thanks 1leglance, definitely the mentality I tried to approach this with. Also thanks climberclimb I'll have more entries sometime tonight or tomorrow.

redsoxfan1001

Segment 1: Part 3 First Two Weeks Across the U.S.

On the 12th I pulled into San Antonio with plans to go see the Alamo and pretty much taking off after that. Again, I found some cheap sports tickets this time to the Spurs vs. Thunder. After wandering for a little bit in the Riverwalk area, I ended up cruising on the Couchsurfing site and found an amazing host named Joedy. He was a seasoned couchsurfing host and a active military member who took pride in his town and essentially convinced me to stay an extra day.

7..jpg7.1.jpg7.2.jpg

I was really glad he did and on the 13th he spent the day showing me around which included taking a bike ride along the river, visiting a mission along with just getting a taste for the town as a whole.

7.3.jpg7.4.jpg7.5.jpg

After eating some delicious mexican breakfast I headed out with the wind blowing me towards Big Bend National Park thanks to the suggestion made by Joedy. After visiting it, I think it's crazy that it wasnt on my list and if you guys are on the fence about going...DO IT!

8..jpg8.1.jpg 8.2.jpg
The photo with me is from the Lost Mine trail in Big Bend. Beautiful hike. If you've noticed so far I havn't been at many locations
for extended periods of time. This is due to time constraints. I think it's fun to have to make deadlines and I absolutely love driving so no problem for me. As night fell, after exploring, I decided that getting the rest of west Texas out of the way was my best bet. Next stop, New Mexico.

Mykh

Outdoor Party Animal
What an amazing trip! Kudos to you for undertaking this in a Civic

Honda should use you as an advertisement ;)

redsoxfan1001

Segment 1: Part 4 First Two Weeks Across the U.S.

Sorry for not posting for a bit, here's the last part of the first segment. Way more to come!

After driving into New Mexico I thought that I'd be a prefect time and get a little nerdy and go check out Roswell, New Mexico. After realizing I probably wasnt going to find a 70 year old alien sitting in the same spot that it supposedly landed I visited the interesting UFO museum. I had bigger fish to fry that day so I headed out early with my White Sands National Monument. What. A. Alien-like. Environment. Never had I seen a place like this, truly feels other worldly.
9..jpg

I hung around there for a bit, tried to "sandboard" aka taking my trucks off my longboard on the dunes which, yes, you guessed it, didn't work.

Had a drink in Socorro, fell asleep I think in a motel parking lot. At this point the areas I slept at consisted of either motel/hotel parking lots or if I was lucky, Walmart.

The 16th was another nerd out day when I headed to the extremely impressive outcropping of radio telescopes out in the highlands of New Mexico know as the Very Large Array. Tons of physics work and even SETI related programs are conducted here.
9.1.jpg9.2.jpg

This place, imo, is a very cool stop with not a lot of tourist activity. At least that much was true in April. As I left I was feeling a little under the weather so I sucked it up and got a room somewhere in Sante Fe.

17th I headed out to Colorado, with plans to meet up with a old high school friend who lived in the Breckenridge. My oh my are those Rockies impressive on your left hand side heading up 25 North. No wonder everyone wants to move there. After many stops I ended up on 70 around nightfall. Seeing a lot of snow on the ground and snow in the air in mid April was scaring me a bit with the Honda, especially when I realized my friend lived off one of those famous "sideroads" in the ski region. I ended up gunning it up a mountain that was completely snow packed until I couldn't go any farther to park it for the night lol. Pretty funny come to think of it. That why I love writing this because I seriously haven't thought about that moment since then. 9.3.jpg

18th I headed to Vail, got a little intoxicated (more than a little) and I'll just leave that day like that :ylsmoke:

19th was Rocky Mountain National Park day for me but failed to realize that no major adventures could be taken since I didn't have any snow gear really but I did luck out with some really cool shots!

9.4.jpg9.5.jpg

After doing the roads that were open and picking up a backcountry snowboarder that was heading back up for a final run I decided it was a great time to leave. Mesa Verde was entered into my GPS, with a quick stop to Pagosa Springs planned for. The first two weeks segment was now complete :)

Last edited:

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Wow dude, this is super cool! Look forward to following around for the rest. I got excited when I saw the smokies, that's my stomping ground haha.

Do you have a rough estimate for about how much it cost to roadtrip it out to Yellowstone? Really wanting to do a cross country trip, I'm in college and have time but no money. I'll need to roughly quadruple it to factor in return trip and half your mileage. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share it on here, and if you don't feel like sharing that's cool too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior