Allow myself to introduce...myself

jmbalt

I just want to check in and introduce myself and also vent a little. I have been lurking around this forum for some time now. I definitely like the idea of exploring vs crawling and am looking to get myself into some offroad adventuring. I purchased my Jeep (my first 4 wheel drive) in February, shortly after my 34th birthday. It's a 2001 Cherokee that had 96k when I bought it, now at about 105k. By VIN it's a sport but it was definitely a government vehicle. It has vinyl floors, no roof rack, ext idle switch, np242, no side trim, skid plates, d30 and d35 with limited slip and abs. Not one spot of rust anywhere.

Here's my vehicular history.
1989 Taurus SHO - First car. Loved it. Stayed stock
1995 Nissan Altima SE - Great car. Kind of an under acknowledged car. 52/48 weight balance. Independent rear suspension. Good torque. Factory LSD. Shorter gears than the non SE trim. I put springs, shocks, huge rear sway bar, intake and header. Great little car that handled awesome.
2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V - Bought brand new. Did basically the same mods as the Altima. Ended up getting carjacked and as far as I know it's still evidence in an attempted murder case.
2004.5 VW Jetta GLI 1.8T - Cool car. Recaro's, six speed, BBS Wheels. Liked the car but never really bonded with it.
I also had a 2005 DRZ-400sm for a while. Tons of fun but it ended up sitting for almost 2 years so I sold it.
My current vehicle is the Cherokee

It was completely stock when I bought it but I have been dumping almost every extra dollar into this thing since then. So far I have purchased a set of canyon wheels, 30x9.50 BFG M/T's, OME 3.5 inch leafs with Medium duty coils up front, OME shocks, IRO double sheer track bar, OME steering stabilizer, new head unit and speakers (couldn't deal with the clock radio sound quality), an alarm, and OE fog lights. I have also done fluid changes, tune up, and replaced all of the tie rod ends. So far I am very happy with this thing except for one issue. I have what I would consider excessive front axle movement when hitting big bumps at highway speeds. It is definitely not death wobble but feels like the beginning of it then settles down. I have experienced death wobble on a couple other vehicles before so I am familiar with it. It seems like everything I have done to stop it has had little to no effect, and it is beginning to get frustrating. I have a 40 mile commute and it's all highway. As it stands now the only things in the front end that I have left to replace are control arms, ball joints, and the wheel bearings. I'm shopping some RE superlfex LCA's now and I hope the added length and caster will help settle things. I have pried on the ball joints, they seem fine. I have also checked the unit bearings as much as I can without disassembly and they seem fine as well. The good news is I'm a used car dealer so I get a discount from the parts stores. I turn my own wrenches too, so I'm not paying anyone for that either. I'm sure I will get it sorted, it's just a drag that everything I have replaced so far has been worn out but hasn't helped. We've lifted 5 or 6 XJ's, a couple TJ's and a ZJ for resale and they've all turned out well, so I know it's possible to have a nice mannered lifted Jeep.

Anyway enough griping. The only plans I have at this point are to sort out my front end, replace other worn parts, Maybe a small roof rack if I can find a deal, some flexy control arms, swaybar disconnects, and install my OE trailer hitch and wiring that I snagged off a Cherokee at work :) Great site here. Lots of good info and great Jeeps. Here is a before and a current pic of my money pit.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Tons of great info on the net addressing steering issues, you will figure it out. Try owning and maintaining 5 cars, that will give you something to gripe about on occasion.

You probably have already checked this but check that the front trackbar attachment points are solid and the holes in axle or frame side have not enlarged over time

jmbalt

Tons of great info on the net addressing steering issues, you will figure it out. Try owning and maintaining 5 cars, that will give you something to gripe about on occasion.
Yea I have read through most of it I'm sure I'll get it sorted. We have 15-20 cars in inventory at any given time So I know where you're coming from for sure.

Welcome! Good looking jeep you got there.
Thanks. I like your Wk

You probably have already checked this but check that the front trackbar attachment points are solid and the holes in axle or frame side have not enlarged over time

Yeah, check the front trackbar bolt at the axle. The stock bolt doesn't fit right and gets worse over time. This writeup is for an Unlimited TJ but the bolt and axle setup is the same as on your Cherokee.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/unlimited04s-lj-build-778715/index5.html#post7330152

All of that is in good shape. The IRO trackbar replaced everything except for the axle mount which I did check and it's fine.

I'm guessing this Jeep was either Forest Service or Border Patrol or something like that in it's early life. It came from Arizona and has no CarFax history prior to 30k miles. Definitely more wear on the suspension than a lot of Jeeps I've seen with similar mileage. Plus when I did the initial cleaning there was bright red dust and dirt all over the under carriage. It's just funny every time I replace a worn part I think to myself "well that should do it" haha nope

bob91yj

Resident **************
It sounds like you may be experiencing bump steer more so than death wobble. The geometry of the Jeep front end moves the front axle to the left when the suspension unloads. If your track bar and drag link are not in the same plane, you'll experience bumpsteer. The angle's from MOUNT POINT to MOUNT POINT for the drag link/track bar need to be as close as possible. Bending the drag link or the track bar to make them appear to be in the same plane is useless, and often a scary set up.

The usual fix that I have seen is adjusting the track bar mounts, either at the axle or the frame, or both. In my experience bolt on track bar mounts are damn near useless, holes will oblong out in short order. Bolt it on for testing and to hold it in place while you get it welded on solid.

It's the 'net, I've been wrong before, probably am again this time, but it's something to check. With correct steering geometry you can throw the stabilizer in the trash unless you like the weighted feel that it gives to the steering. In general, steering stabilizers on Jeep's are a band aid for crappy geometry.

jmbalt

I went and looked at my track bar and drag link angles. No bueno. They almost intersect. I looked at IRO's website and the bracket for the double shear bar has a 3/4" drop at the frame end. I did not know that. So I threw on my old track bar with the worn out tie rod. The angles are better now. And the wobbling/flopping has decreased but is still not gone. All of it seems to be coming from the passenger side. I can hit potholes on the drivers side as hard as I want and its fine. I'm going to take the new track bar to the parts store tomorrow and see if they can find a tie rod that will fit it and bolt up to the stock bracket.

FYI: Clayton Offroad has a double shear track bar that has a NO-drop frame side bracket and the bar is adjustable. Might be something to look into.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
I fixed my trackbar axle mount by doing this:

I drilled out the hole to 1/2" and added a washer for additional support to slow the potential wallowing that always seems to happen. The UCA mounts and steering stabilizer mount also got attacked by the 1/2" drillbit...

I'd imagine the control arm bushings are toast. Time for some adjustables! The axle end bushings are super easy to R&R with a balljoint press too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger