Alpine Loop, CO

Has anyone here pulled a trailer through the alpine loop? I have a 2014 JKU on 35's & 3.73 Gears that I am planning a trip through the San Juan's this July and have never really pulled my trailer through that type of terrain. I plan on doing a shake down run here close to home well before the trip to make sure if I have any issues I can get them corrected. My trailer is a modified M101A2.

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

HitchCrack

meatblanket

Adventurer
Certainly it can be done, but there are some switchbacks that you won't be able to make cleanly. When that happens, if you have some muscle with you it's quickest to disconnect the trailer and move it and/or re-position your tow rig. You absolutely need a hand brake on the trailer if you're going to do that. Keep the weight down. There won't be too many places where that's necessary, but consider the fact that it's a pretty crowded place and unless you are there at the crack of dawn you'll have an audience, possibly an impatient one.

I think it's better to drag the trailer to a campsite near or on the Loop and do it as a series of day trips. Much less stress

grogie

Like to Camp
^Excellent advice from meatblanket, and that sums up a lot of considerations with towing a trailer around the Rockies. As far as the Alpine Loop, I'd agree that the switchbacks mixed with the traffic could add for some fun.

One route that I think would be doable is if you drive to Animas Forks from Silverton, and then take the route that heads northwest to 550/Ouray. I recall several switchbacks going down near 550, but they're fairly wide but rocky.

I also think it would be doable to drive up to Engineer Pass from Lake City, however, I'd probably return to Lake City rather than go down Engineer Pass on the east side towards Animas Forks. There are several narrow sections, a couple switchbacks and it's common to have to pass people.

P.S. This reminded of the guys from Expedition Overland where they tow their adveture trailer up Morrison Jeep trail in northern Wyoming. It's got to be the most insain, yet awesome trailer towing video out there. Great watch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAIUPl-L1ZY

Last edited:

old_man

Adventurer
Just a point of info. Many of the high passes in Colorado ban trailers, not that you couldn't make it, but some guy in an SUV towing a Coleman tent trailer might try it.

TommyG

Adventurer
Just a point of info. Many of the high passes in Colorado ban trailers, not that you couldn't make it, but some guy in an SUV towing a Coleman tent trailer might try it.

Or someone in a full size with a giant trailer. Not sure exactly where this is but your point is right on.

14666053_646464128849781_942416859156962700_n_zpsabd5zxda.jpg

14725590_646464175516443_549231468560845139_n_zpsylrcshdc.jpg

Thanks for the responses, I'm not sure if that guy pulling that camper is nuts or has huge nuts!

I was already thinking about possibly finding a place to "home base" and just park the trailer and run from there each day. I was hoping to come from lake city side and pull the trailer through to Animas Forks but after doing more research and your input I think it will be better to come from Silverton into the forks. I have been up in this part of CO many times but never did any of these trails, I was previously a pretty avid backpacker and exploring in my jeep is getting more enjoyable and less strenuous as I get older. Now to get the trailer wrapped up so I can see if it is going to be reliable enough to make this adventure.

HitchCrack

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Camping in the Alpine area.

In a book I bought that states on the Eureka Gulch at the Eureka town site they allow camping first come first serve. (actually has a bathroom) I would have a hard time doing the loop leaving my trailer for that much time unattended. But that is exactly why I am building it so?? But there is a lot of secluded camp spots. Some day I will do the alpine loop it is on my to do list but will have to do it alone as my wife won't do shelf roads.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Park the trailer in Lake City and use that as your base. Great place to eat there called the Tick Tock Cafe, close to the trail head.

Durango

Adventurer
...consider the fact that it's a pretty crowded place and unless you are there at the crack of dawn you'll have an audience, possibly an impatient one.

I think it's better to drag the trailer to a campsite near or on the Loop and do it as a series of day trips. Much less stress

A much better idea. However (and this is just my two cents) we did the Loop 3 years ago and yes, it was a VERY "crowded place". Jam packed full with speeding four-wheelers (the majority rented out of Lake City) insistent on making the Loop in one long day. When I'm supposedly on a jeep road and I have to "merge" to get into the traffic flow I suddenly start longing for "real wilderness".

Don't get me wrong- the Alpine Loop is incredibly beautiful. And I'm not an off-road snobbish prima dona who think the road was only created for him alone. But I'd recommend buying SW Colorado 4WD guidebook and look into some of the other equally scenic trails in the area. You'll enjoy more solitude since most everyone else will be zooming along the Alpine Loop! :)

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey guys ive pulled two different trailers through the loop twice and it was EASY. There were no switch backs that caused us to cut corners. Just swing wide and be smart and the whole thing is a breeze.

Chili

Explorer
I do the Loop every year (for the last 8 years), and we camp out of our Ford Courier pickup bed trailer. We intended to pull it over Engineer from the Lake City side a few years ago, but I was having issues with 4lo and decided against it. That said, we base camp out of the trailer and just do the Loop in the vehicle, solo.

The back side of Engineer (between Engineer and Animas Forks) is probably the worst part for your trailer, and as others have said, there is traffic. That section is hard enough to pass full size rigs on.. It has definitely been done, hell they even tow a pretty big dual axle trailer over it for the sheep herders every year, but I wouldn't want to mess with it. There is a pretty sheer cliff on one side of that section, and just way too many opportunities for things to go terribly wrong.

Maybe with a smaller trailer and / or bigger tow vehicle..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman