Alpine Loop, CO

billum v2.0

Take the previous comments to heart, especially how busy the Loop will be in July.

We caught up to a line of vehicles stuck behind a couple pulling a TurtleBack trailer across the Loop last September. He made few friends. Fewer still when his wife shared he was pulling it just to see if he could, not because they were headed to a destination.

If you're taking trailer offroad to a camping destination, Alta Lakes campground off of Ophir Pass is a reasonable bet. It looked to be a popular destination, so do some research beforehand if you're looking for isolation.

We had an excellent basecamp at Molas Lake Campground a few minutes outside Silverton. They have several secluded sites, vault toilets, showers if so inclined and a basic general store. Majority of sites are too small for RV's and there are no electrical/water hookup. Doug and Patricia know the area well, provided us with excellent trail/hiking advice based on local knowledge. And the setting is stunning (these were all taken with 25' of our campsite).
Silverton20Molas20Lake20053_zpsfubtf8jf.jpg

ef3828a3-107f-4ff8-bc69-775d23e42041_zps6vcu9jeb.jpg

c3b5e8c0-8076-4477-8841-dfcd3b53f953_zpsjzdollbl.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I would certainly be more concerned with the stock gearing and having the power to turn those 35's while towing a trailer, also consider the effect this has on braking power when descending.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Nearby Ophir Pass isn't part of the Alpine Loop, it's an easier trail than the Alpine Loop - it can be done entirely in 2wd, but:

OphirPass1_zpsdf0df090.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing signs like this one on any of the Alpine Loop trails, but maybe there are some and I've missed them.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
There are definitely signs saying no trailers beyond this point on the loop. A small trailer would probably make it, but I agree with several others in saying to leave it at camp and drive it without the trailer.

If you go to Silverton be sure to get a funnel cake. SUPER nice people and the cakes are delicious.

I would also drive Ophir Pass. Be sure you time it so that the passes are open. When we went Imogene and Black Bear were still closed (July).

SamM

Adventurer
Insurance isn't going to cover the amount of damage incurred while dragging that down the trail.

SamM

Josh41

Adventurer
Any thoughts on 4WD pickup with pop up slide in (not a trailer)? Heading out to CO (Black Hawk area) to visit my cousin, looking for a nice weekday trip (2/3 days). Can his New Jeep Cherokee make it?
Weekdays any better in July, the pictures make it look like Disney Land.

Thanks

Last edited:

IM1RU

Observer
Leave the trailer at base camp and have fun. All of these trails are easily accessed via Ouray, and the amphitheater campground makes for a lovely place to stay.

Cmason16

Well I guess I will rethink pulling my new Turtleback over the loop this July. I do plan on taking two days, any suggestions on camping spots to base camp? I will be coming up from Durango after visiting friends. Can I go from Durango to Animas Forks off highway with a trailered 550 up to Silverton? I am in a 5th gen 4Runner trail that is stock. I am actually going to be on a 5 or 6 week trip from Williamsburg VA to LA and back going through Durango, Arches, Canyon Lands, North Rim, Sedona, Vegas, LA, then back to Glenwood Springs and then back to VA. Taking my foster son on an expedition. I also have to work in a river raft trip, horse back trail ride, Universal Studios, and a Hoover Dam.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
We did the Alpine Loop last July. We took the Mineral Creek trail up from Ouray then up and over Engineer Pass. My friend towed his trailer behind his FJ without any real issues. He navigated all the switchbacks, we just took our time and we're careful and it was totally do-able. We camped out at about 9000ft and it was amazing.

Sent from the Mountains

daveh

Adventurer
How was traffic in July? Weekdays any better?

We were there this past July 6-8 which was mid week. We did most of the alpine loop and a few of the other passes. We passed some other vehicles on the trails but I never felt it was crowded. I thought there would have been a lot more traffic on the trails.
e65268e4056e18be49acc9504fc99b8d.jpg
b57e02fed4d453ebca0821adb9c2fc10.jpg
d214667af6a163d0c060090ec63bd04f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger