Alternative Anchor Locations

krj

Observer
2000 Lance Lite 815 on a steel flatbed.
Currently mounted with HappiJac turnbuckles from stock camper anchors to rub rails on flatbed, 1" stall mats between the two. Long term plan is side boxes for storage, at which point I won't want turnbuckles blocking that space. Short term, the stock anchor points are showing signs of weakness in two locations, so this part of the project needs to be fast tracked.
Looking to see what others with similar setups have been doing to mount their campers and leave the space on the sides free.
One thought was a steel plate running across the front on the camper, through-bolted and backed with another steel plate on inside, accessed in the cavity that houses the water tank. That would put anchor plate forward of camper (and any future boxes). Options for attaching to flatbed would be: a.) turnbuckles down to mounts welded on bed. b.) attach straight to headache rack of flatbed. While the headache rack is super stout, I don't know what can of worms I'd be opening with a mount of that fashion /direction, even with some sort of bushing in the system.
Purpose built flatbed campers must have anchor points in the floor. Anyone out there retrofitted something similar with an existing camper?
All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Don't know what international requirements there are, Canada has requirements .
If you would be venturing up there.
Other than that, you're ideas seem reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998