Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

Scoutman

Explorer
I have to be careful with this spot too when deploying. If it catches that metal bracket when it swings open it looks like it would end up like that before too long.

I love ours and it always gets lots of compliments wherever I take it.
d5785f48de5b12c4f9d8e298eac0417d.jpg
b1b1d522bb8538c3a0a4c1acf6a154a1.jpg
bf557ea74dbf43696180b1e01e6cdc43.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Did you do the walk under test for you and your tallest friend to make sure clearance wasn't an issue?
As it turned out, the height is close to perfect. If anything, there's more than enough clearance, except for the tailgate lid...but I can live with that for now.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I set up the wall kit in my back yard to get familiar with the procedure and time to accomplish the task. Also to see and evaluate how weather & bug tight when it is buttoned up. I've included some pics, too. I did it by myself and with no wind. Took about an hour & 1/2 including staking at the base, but I took my time - probably could be done in 1/2 the time or less with a helper. Each wall attaches to the Awn between the polls by a single Velcro strip and Velcro straps to the poles. The wall pieces also zip together at the poles. The ends of the 2 walls that connect to the rig are attached by your own method. Loops are provided, but it's up to you how it's done. Makes sense when you realize how many different rigs the Awn could be mounted to. As far as being sealed....forget it. There is no "back wall", so bugs and weather will be able to get through under and over your rig. Also the bottom side of each wall has an approx 18" flap that folds under and into the enclosure the length of the wall. Other than that, there is no floor. I picked up a couple of tarps to make my own floor. I figure - 3 season at best for a weather shelter. My 80 has aftermarket tinted windows so privacy during the day is excellent with the sunshade in the windshield. Each wall has a window, with screens that are permanently closed, but window flaps zip open for view or let air in. Door has same type of window, but no full screen door. It can be rolled up and tied open.
IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1422.jpg
IMG_1423.jpg
IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1431.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg

danmedeiros

Observer
Has anyone mounted solar panels to their expedition 3? I was wondering if anyone here had ideas about which mounts and panels to use. Was thinking of mounting mine forward of the roof rack track as I often have surfboards loaded up.

Thanks!

carbon60

Explorer
Is there a bug solution, for the awning? I really like the product, but some bug protection is crucial for my travels.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I have the wall kit and have set it up completely. Even though the windows & door have screen material, it is not sealed on the vehicle side. Also, at the top of the poles, there's a large enough gap for insects to pass through, easily. In serious bug country, the wall kit as it is, will not keep the bugs out.

carbon60

Explorer
No official one no. Just the wall kit. I actually have some mosquito mesh and hook-n-loop in transit to me just for that purpose.

I was thinking that it would not be difficult to hang a mosquito tent from the awning, as well. Post pics of your setup, please!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Correct.. that's where our setup will with the mesh will hopefully shine. Plan is to have a wall for the rear and back integrated. The doors will be a flap with magnets. You can make your own annex backer. Not the hardest.When the material arrives, I'll post it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Looking forward to viewing your solution. I've had some ideas my self, but it's not only the bugs but also the weather (mainly moisture) I want to seal out. Being as the Shadow Awn is mainly designed for Sun protection (shade). The wall kit is, to me, kind of an afterthought and mainly for privacy - not shelter. Why there are screens in the windows and door has got to be one of the most interesting and intriguing ideas to me and I'd be curious to find out what they were thinking.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
My goal is to wait until the new arm comes in......
How's this going?

Also, was wondering, where were you when the wind bent the arm? Just curious because I like to keep track of places that might be more susceptible to surprizing strong gusts. Near an ocean beach or inland grassy flats? Any estimate on speed of gust?

justbecause

perpetually lost
I was really looking forward to seeing the Khaya at expedition east but I will not be able to make it this year.

Will yall be on display anywhere else?

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I've been seriously slacking with updating this thread with the latest and greatest from Alu-Cab :( Well to catch you guys up, here are a few shots of our prototype Khaya camper!

0m25azp.jpg

skJ5y3S.jpg

6j7mIxL.jpg

yXRlggA.jpg

su4jgOQ.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179