Aluminium or Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP) as outer skin in a composite panel?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The term "plastic" is very broad and include "thermoplastics" which means they soften with heat to be moulded (lots of common stuff) and can be re-softened and re-moulded many times.
Then there are "thermo sets" which start as powder or liquid and set through a non reversible chemical reaction. These include the phenolics and all the 2 packs including polyester (although there are also thermoplastic polyesters) and epoxies plus things like super glue.
All are "plastic" which collectively are long molecule synthetics.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

rruff

Explorer
No, it's just that in North America most are buying from Total Composites. I wondered if you had another source.

ottsville

Observer
No, it's just that in North America most are buying from Total Composites. I wondered if you had another source.

in Virginia

rruff

Explorer

Yes, I've bought PVC foam from them. I don't think they sell panels except with plastic honeycomb core.

Someone mentioned this place; said they will do foam cores as well as honeycomb. https://www.plascore.com/

billiebob

Late to the party but I prefer welded frames and screwed aluminium panels. I doubt thermal conducivity or thermal bridging is a practical concern in a camper with less than 400 cubic feet of air.

What I love about a screwed on skin is how easy it is to remove or repair. Or modify. I added a side door to my cargo trailer. Took 4 hours. Unscrew the skin, cut, move, weld a stud, add a header, screw the skin on. So simple.

This is a work trailer and it gets abused plenty but even tho the skin is dented and scratched it is still tight. I might reskin it this summer. I'll buy prefinished skins, likely more colourful, screw them on and be done in a day. I'll likely buy new screws too but it will be the fastest cheapest way to repair, reskin a trailer. If it were a camper it would have 1" EPS insulation cut to fit between the 24" stud centers.

If it was an arctic camper, I'd double the layer of EPS on the inside bonding baltic birch to it and screwing to the studs. And there goes the budget.......

I look at my trailers, this one has over60K miles on it, many of those over forestry roads, and look at how light the frames are. Then I look at the home builds and go wow are they ever over built. Not a criticism cuz I'd likely do the same thing but just an observation of the engineering that goes into a manufactured trailer. If you are building your own, check out the commercial manufactured units as diligently as you follow the forums.

trlr 003.jpeg

Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
Yes, I've bought PVC foam from them. I don't think they sell panels except with plastic honeycomb core.

Someone mentioned this place; said they will do foam cores as well as honeycomb. https://www.plascore.com/
They have this product, but I don't quite understand what the foam is in it(second product down): https://www.carbon-core.com/products/laminated-panels/composite/

I know somebody built a camper out their panels. I think it was in the truck camper forum here.

opp

Observer
No joke the glass foam panels are called Puf panels .Never did I know as we back are trailers with foam There puf trailers . maybe we should paint them pink

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998