Aluminum Flatbed for Dodge Ram?

tuktu

flat bed on a one ton

I am playing with the idea of a flat bed (alum) on a one ton 4 by for a camper also. I am thinking about a 10 ft long bed maybe 7 or so feet wide for an Alaskan camper. I hope this is not a major undertaking. As for truck I am leaning to the one ton chassis or a bed delete models . I like the Rams but it seems that they do not offer that option (bed delete) so GM it may be. In both cases when you go for the chassis cab you get a de tuned motor which I do not understand. I am talking diesel motors.
So is the 10 ft bed doable or will this be an more fuse than it is worth.

From the far North

tuktu

I think this is the idea I am trying to follow. How long is your flat bed. How is the cab over? I am thinking alng the same way except the camper would be wider on the bottom.
Looks good
For the Far North

This was directed to KIlroy. I am new to the forum so still learning the protocal.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I think this is the idea I am trying to follow. How long is your flat bed. How is the cab over? I am thinking alng the same way except the camper would be wider on the bottom.
Looks good
For the Far North

This was directed to KIlroy. I am new to the forum so still learning the protocal.

As you can see from the pic the camper hangs over the rear of the bed, which is 8' 6". I find this mounting better than attaching to the corners of the camper which tend to get torn apart on rough roads.

I use the space where the wheel wells would be, but I am thinking along the lines of building the openings into/onto the camper. This would simplify packing/unpacking and I believe work better with a Stable lift mounting system I've been considering. http://www.stablelift.com/stable-lift-benefits.php

Attachments

• Camper mount.jpg
    Camper mount.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 105

Kilroy

Adventurer
in this pic I'm fine tuning the placement of the camper with clamp acting as a spreader bar. In the last post, the strap is doing the same in the rear. This allows me to easily center camper to within 1/4 inch. Since the picture was taken, I now mount a piece of angle aluminum to the bed before mounting and then just need to snug camper up to it. After mounting I screw down another piece of angle aluminum on the other side. I feel this greatly increases side to side holding of the camper while reducing stress on the anchor points of the camper. It only takes a couple of minutes

You should check out Carlyle's Alaskan camper build also. He inspired me to get my Alaskan and Ram diesel.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9502&highlight=Alaskan+build

Attachments

• Mount adjustment.jpg
    Mount adjustment.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 59

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I'm having a hard time seeing what your pushing against. Is that the camper jack or some bed rail? I'd like to see a pic of your aluminum angle bar also.

Thanks
-Chris

in this pic I'm fine tuning the placement of the camper with clamp acting as a spreader bar. In the last post, the strap is doing the same in the rear. This allows me to easily center camper to within 1/4 inch. Since the picture was taken, I now mount a piece of angle aluminum to the bed before mounting and then just need to snug camper up to it. After mounting I screw down another piece of angle aluminum on the other side. I feel this greatly increases side to side holding of the camper while reducing stress on the anchor points of the camper. It only takes a couple of minutes

You should check out Carlyle's Alaskan camper build also. He inspired me to get my Alaskan and Ram diesel.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9502&highlight=Alaskan+build

Kilroy

Adventurer
I'm pushing against an angle part of the head board of the flat bed. I'll be loading camper next week. I'll take a picture of the angle bar at that time.

I'm having a hard time seeing what your pushing against. Is that the camper jack or some bed rail? I'd like to see a pic of your aluminum angle bar also.

Thanks
-Chris

Kilroy

Adventurer
Got pictures of the angle bar I use. After it is installed as in pic, I put camper on, snug it to bar, than put on bar on other side. I use large self tapping screws to attach to bed. Helps draining when camper is off.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 76

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger