Am I crazy? I am lusting after a 2013 2.7 Tacoma regular cab, but is it healthy?

dnorrell

Adventurer
That pretty much says it. I finally decided to sell my JKU so that I may get a 2.7L Tacoma 4x4 regular cab. What's worse is I'm even leaning toward the automatic for convenience and buckets. I spent a couple of hours in one over the weekend and loved it. Regular cab Tacomas consistently cause me to turn my head, regardless of where I am or what I'm driving.

No family yet, but this won't be the only vehicle when that happens down the road, so that is not a concern. I have no interest in the V6 or the double cab. I like the simplicity of the I4 with roll-up windows and manual locks.

The trick is this: I'm having some trouble envisioning a platform for the back that will sleep 2 adults and also allow for a fridge. While I kind of like the access cab, and is available with the I4, I don't want to upgrade to that just for a space in the cab for a fridge. I might add that I will fit a camper shell with windoors, so dry storage that is easy to access is not of concern. I also wasn't fond of the somewhat "hollow" sound I experienced in the cab while driving the access cab, due to the access doors I would imagine.

Do any of you have regrets about your 2.7 regular Tacoma? Wish you had gone with the access cab, or something altogether different? I know that is largely personal, but your opinions count and I've got some time to simmer.

Thanks!

p nut

butter
While I'm not committed to one, I've been looking at regular cab builds lately (Tacovendor's, for instance). Only thing keeping me back is I have a family of 4. While it will be our 3rd vehicle, I still hesitate to get one, due to the limited seats. Though I'm telling myself it would still be fun to go with one of the kids at a time.

If I were single, I'd get one, no problem. I've had a double cab and access cab. DC was nice when hauling people. AC was also nice for putting the gear in the back. But the RC has always had that special allure to it. Maybe it was the simplicity, the styling, or whatever, but I've always wanted to get one. I drove my friend's 1st gen RC quite a bit and had no issues or discomforts compared to my AC.

Space wise, the 2nd gens are wider than the 1st, so depending on your size, I'd say sticking the fridge behind the wheelwell may be a possibility.

RC Tacomas, just like Taco's in any other trim, have a ridiculously high resale value, so risks involved are very minimal if you end up not liking it. So I'd say get it now while you can, before you have kids.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Not crazy but you may want to drive an auto model to be sure you can live with the "performance" or lack there of...I love my little Reg cab and the one you're lusting after would make my truck feel small inside. I love the way they look and the simplicity of how much you can and can't carry in the cab. Makes you think about what you tote around. If I didn't have the cap, I think I could really get down to the "need" items and have a simple setup. For now, I've got the cap. No power windows, locks makes one very happy.

-jorge

dnorrell

Adventurer
I knew I wasn't the only one afflicted!

I think if I upsized to an access cab, I'd still be pining for each rc I see. I still think the access cabs are handsome and practical, but I just can't afford a Tacoma fleet yet.

One potential fridge solution I've been thinking about, though it could be a PITA, is to build a full drawer/storage system with integrated fridge storage. When it's time to hit the bunk, and I'm not tent camping, I could place the fridge on a temporary shelf platform over the foot of the sleeping surface, giving enough room for a full size airbed. In the morning, move the fridge back down for easy access in the day. Not ideal, but a potential solution. Either that, or two of us are sleeping on a twin - cozy, but she says she won't mind.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Not crazy but you may want to drive an auto model to be sure you can live with the "performance" or lack there of...I love my little Reg cab and the one you're lusting after would make my truck feel small inside. I love the way they look and the simplicity of how much you can and can't carry in the cab. Makes you think about what you tote around. If I didn't have the cap, I think I could really get down to the "need" items and have a simple setup. For now, I've got the cap. No power windows, locks makes one very happy.

-jorge

Hey Jorge!

I drove the automatic rc this past weekend, and took it up on I-70 (going west from Denver) to hit the big hills. I found the power surprisingly adequate for my needs, but then I drive like grandpa and have no need to tow anything. Maybe because I'm coming from a JK on 37s, but I thought the driving experience was just about perfect for me. I could even pass people going uphill and the auto seemed to downshift at the right times and handle itself quite well. I was honestly pleased as punch with it. Thanks for the support!

p nut

butter
You were on stock tires, right? When you start going up in size, I believe the power loss goes down exponentially. Personally, I'd go for stick. Just seems fitting for a RC anyway.

I was assuming you'd put in a drawer system to maximize storage. Looks like 2nd gens have nice flat wheel wells and ledges in the bed, perfect for the sleeping platform and drawers underneath.

Or you can go with a flippac, wildernest, or RTT. Or simply a ground tent like I'm doing.

J

JWP58

Trust me. You'll want the 5spd.

Sometimes I wish I wouldve got a regular cab Dodge 2500 w/ a Cummins. But then when I stop to get gas, Im pretty happy with the taco.

Mine came with a color matched a.r.e. topper, i sold it and sooo wish i didnt do that.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Hey JWP58, how do you like running 235/85 on your Tacoma?

I'm pretty stuck on the auto. I'm coming from a manual JK, and I have no interest in shifting in daily traffic, or having the bench seat. That said, I really appreciate the feedback, but I've driven both and honestly felt the auto was more than adequate, even at altitude. It handled shift points very well.

rbrownmr2

Observer
FWIW:
I am on my 4th Tacoma 4 cyl.
1997 RC 2.7 4WD 5spd
2008 RC 2.7 4WD 5spd
2009 AC 2.7 4WD 5spd
2002 RC 2.7 4WD 5spd(current truck)

I have had the access cab and regular cab and both have their advantages and disadvantages. There are also the same between newer Tacomas and the previous ones. I have had both of the 1st gen Tacomas with 33" tires and 4.88 gears and seems to be a good compromise between power and low rpm's. The two newer Tacos I owned only had camper shells on them with all else stock while I owned them. For off-roading alone or with just my girl, I prefer the current rig, while she preferred the AC due to the extra stuff she could bring. There is roughly 6' more room between fender wells in the newer Tacos than the old ones so sleeping with two is roomier. If you are getting a shell on your truck, I would recommend a mid high one or one of the contractor grade types for the extra room, I have had both types and am looking for a higher camper now. Of course a Flippac would be ideal so you can bring whatever you want and not worry about saving room to sleep! A ARB 50L fridge fits nicely behind the seat in an AC. I got better MPG's/ range in the new Taco's but power was about the same. If I were truck-less right now, I would buy another 2.7 5spd. Tacoma, no question about it. All of the trucks have had their good points, but if I had to start over right now it would be a 2nd gen Taco RC 5spd, due to the slight increase in range and space over the first gen. I would add everything that I have now except for the change out of the cab-hi camper for a commercial one or mid-hi shell...or a Flippac if I had the room in my parking garage that is. Good luck with your decision, but I know one thing for sure: If Tacovendor's truck is an inspiration to your build you will be quite happy with the outcome.

J

JWP58

Hey JWP58, how do you like running 235/85 on your Tacoma?

I'm pretty stuck on the auto. I'm coming from a manual JK, and I have no interest in shifting in daily traffic, or having the bench seat. That said, I really appreciate the feedback, but I've driven both and honestly felt the auto was more than adequate, even at altitude. It handled shift points very well.

Love them so far. I see no down side as of now to running them.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
What kind of MPG's can the newer 2.7 4x4's achieve? I'd really love to sell my 100 series land cruiser for a taco that's more fuel efficient.

p nut

butter
Lax - I know 1st gen guys are getting around 24mpg on the highway. 4x4, 5-sp and stock. Toyota only rates them at 21 highway, though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have you ever owned a regular cab mini truck before? I've owned two, an 85 Toyota 4x4 and an 84 Mazda B2000 4x2. Here's the thing you may not realize: Those cabs are pretty small, especially once you put two people in there. Most of us travel with 'stuff.' Jackets, hats, iPods, gloves, books, etc. You get really used to just throwing that stuff in the back seat. Well, in a reg cab truck you don't have that. You have a very minimal storage area behind the seats (probably better with buckets, I would guess, both of my RC trucks had a single bench) but I got tired of the limited space in a hurry. Yes, if you have a topper you can throw the stuff in the topper, and I often did, but it's stil a bit of a PITA.

I got my first extended cab truck in 99 and as soon as I experienced the extended-cab lifestyle, I said "I'm never going back to a regular cab." There's a reason most of the trucks you see on the road today are either extended cab or double cab - it's just so much more practical.

I get the attraction to a simpler vehicle, but I can tell you that even as a single guy, I found the small space in the regular cab to be very limiting. I guess if you have another DD then it might not be so bad, but I would not consider a regular cab truck unless I did all of my traveling alone.

xjaugie

Adventurer
Driven both RC and access cabs. Currently I'm driving a '95 V6 auto Tacoma Access cab and would strongly suggest the access cab. The double cab may be too much, but the access cab adds a just right size space to store stuff you don't want in the bed of the truck. And in a pinch it can haul extra passengers. My 0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78