Am I Crazy? Landcruiser to a Powerwagon with FWC?

05PWrockcrawler

Adventurer
Mileage isn't very good at all. But I have bigger tires. About 15 mpg is about normal. Some say they get 17 mpg. I don't see it unless you drive 60 mph everywhere. I live in Texas and our speed limit is 75. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STREGA

Explorer
I had a '05 PW with a Outfitter Apex pop up. The Apex ended up being a POS and I got rid of it and was about to pull the trigger on getting a FWC Hawk for the PW when I decided to go a different direction for a vehicle. PW's are very capable trucks even stock and with a FWC would make a great rig to take the family out camping in. The Apex pop up was more camper (weighed to much) than the PW liked and my fuel mileage was not great at about 11 mpg IIRC. The FWC would be a much better match for the PW IMHO. As far as reliability goes, in the 40k + miles I put on it the only issue I had with it was a stuck throttle (twice) which is alittle unnerving and at the time none of the dealers could seem to fix it or had a answer as to why it happen which was a big reason I decided to go to a Toyota FJC. I heard later that there was a simple fix to the problem but at the time there wasn't and I wasn't comfortable with the wife driving it. I would also not take the PW to many of the places I have with the FJC due to the sheer size of it but I'am sure there is someone that could or would out there.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Mine is an older model (1981) with its fair share of issues but I use it as often as I can and end up falling in love with it over and over again. To me it's as good as it gets when camping with my family. Hopefully one day I can replace it with a newer one.
DSC01992.jpg

I am planning to build a custom box. When I do, I can give you a good deal on my 1988, lol.

Blade76

don't agree on the Landcruiser/Toyota reliability...maybe used to be like that but not anymore. Just got back from 3.5 years in a HZJ75 (that I was told is THE best overlanding truck ever) and my excel sheet hits 400 lines of things I had to fix in those years. Today HZJ78/79 are even worst with very unreliable transmissions and rear axles known to crack/break within 50-100k.

Conclusion: Toyota has the most expensive parts ever, you hardly get any parts in the Americas, even in countries that have tons of J7 series, because they usually have nothing in stock and car breaks down exactly the same as other cars except you pay 10x more for the parts (if you don't want chinese copies) and have to wait 1-2 months till your Toyota dealer in Latin-america can order it.
Car was ok, but Toyota also only cooks with water... I am done with Toyota, although not sure yet what will be next...

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ that's funny ("Toyota has the most expensive parts ever..."): You, obviously, have not been around Rovers. Or Mercedes. Or...

fireball

Explorer
Mph - I have a 100 series and just bought a Hawk and a flatbed to tow behind the 100. We just took a 1500 mile trip to Nashville to buy the Hawk and put it on the back of my work truck, a 2012 Tundra.

I am not sure how much I'll love towing a trailer around, but the 100 just has so much space and is so nice off road that we will be using more of a base camp setup. Still able to drag the flatbed/Hawk to some remote spots, but for the tough stuff it'll get disconnected and we will rock just the 100.

The DC Tundra is a nice truck, but just not really suitable for a family and gear. I think my crew is a bit bigger than yours though. The Hawk will be a perfect fit for you and your wife and daughter.

Here was my inspiration, a setup from the folks at Adventure Trailer at Expo West last year I believe:

hawk on AT trailer.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12