Am I crazy to overland a Samurai?

zukimoo

I did a lot of back country wheeling/camping with a samurai, SJ413K and now I'm setting up an LJ80 for the same. If you got the right gearing you can haul a small trailer if you keep it light.

When I head out I pack very light on clothes, give the GF a tiny bag and tell her "that's it" and I just go have fun. If you plan ahead on meals you can really go light. Running a second batt is always good because at night you can run things on the second and still start in the morning, got caught with this a few times.

You can overland on a motorcycle and that is very limited on space....a samurai is plenty big.

zukrider

Explorer
Truth.

Space is the biggest hurdle. my standard sami camping was based on one medium sized cooler. one jetboil backpacking stove. a small tupperware box with lid for plates, forks, spoons, paper towels, etc. this later turned into a cheap version of a pelican case. it was large enough to hold my complete jetboil setup, a 10" frying pan for jetboil or fires, and all my cooking utensils. all of my gear is backpacking type, small and light. REI half dome 2 tent, thermarest sleeping pad, 20* mummy bag. pillows end up in a trash bag. and i use water proof stuff sacks for the rest. every trip i go on has my every day carry bag. this has my clothes, gloves, hat, flashlight, knife, cat hole shovel, TP, lip balm, etc... and since im a wheeler, i always had my recovery kit, tool kit, spare parts kit, and fluids box. everything but the cooler and back pack fit under the wood tonneau cover, even the hi-lift.

owning and wheeling/traveling in a Sami takes creativity. but you will learn a ton from it, and apply it to many other aspects of your life.

P.S. you guys suck, now im searching Craigs for another Sami again!

Great to see someone new coming to see the coolness of the little samurais. I have 2 tintops now, sold the convertible a few years ago. I love them. they are underpowered though. Sounds like previous posts all include the necessary upgrades and warnings. I just wanted to express my delight in seeing another person cross over into the samurai neverland...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger